Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo, when I try to lock the doors by inserting hand in the door handle it will not lock the doors. I have to use the key fob. However when I come back to unlock it it works fine. What am I doing wrong?? Haha.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Sooo, when I try to lock the doors by inserting hand in the door handle it will not lock the doors. I have to use the key fob. However when I come back to unlock it it works fine. What am I doing wrong?? Haha.
Take a look at that owner's manual :)

You touch the 3 lines on the outside of the handle to lock it. Hand inside the handle is only for unlocking.

·
Registered
588 Posts

The little "slots" moved from where they were on my Outback. Look closely at the door handle - they are at the left side of the handle - facing your body. They are not on top like mine were in the past. So, you hand is not touching it if you insert it into the door handle.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well dang, that worked! I thought that was what I was doing, however when I focused on covering those slots it worked! Haha! My hubby has left the owners manual at work. Haha! I did try google though, lol.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
No worries: feel free to download the PDF version here: https://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-resources.html

Makes it easy to search for stuff via the computer as well.:grin:

And, from the downloaded manual you can do a "Search" just like on Google and it will tell you every page in the manual it's mentioned. I do believe the link to every manual is also on your "MySubaru" page.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Since I never owned a vehicle with a smart key before, I did not know you could lock the doors like that.

Also I noticed something neat over the weekend with the smart key. If I put my hand on the driver side door, only the driver door unlocks. But if I approach the passenger side front door and touch the front passenger door, it unlocks all the doors.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Since I never owned a vehicle with a smart key before, I did not know you could lock the doors like that.

Also I noticed something neat over the weekend with the smart key. If I put my hand on the driver side door, only the driver door unlocks. But if I approach the passenger side front door and touch the front passenger door, it unlocks all the doors.
Yeah, I like how the car is "smart" and knows which side of the car I'm on to unlock the doors. I haven't dove into the owner's manual, but I'll take a guess that you can program which doors to unlock when you insert your hand inside the door handles...maybe? :cool:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeah, I like how the car is "smart" and knows which side of the car I'm on to unlock the doors. I haven't dove into the owner's manual, but I'll take a guess that you can program which doors to unlock when you insert your hand inside the door handles...maybe? /forum/images/smilies/cool.gif
There is a short range fob senaor in each front door handle and the rear hatch handle. You can set either the driver door or all doors to open.

I haven't tested if you set it to driver door but come to the passenger door if it only opens the driver door, that would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is one of my favorite features of the car. I love not having to fish my keys out of my purse all the time. It is a big of a PITA when I get home and have to fish them out to unlock my front door though. :tango_face_wink:

I got out of my car the other day at the store and touched the handle to lock it and a little old lady next to me said, "Did you just touch that car to make it beep?" Why yes I did!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think the default is set to driver door only. Later I created my profile and changed to All doors.
However, I wish they would have given smart access to all doors like VW Atlas has, instead of only the driver and front passenger side doors. That would have been a way smarter key less entry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts