Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was mentioned but buried in a general discussion but the issue I’m having is that if all the doors are locked and I approach the rear lift gate with my fob in my pocket, I cannot open it without first unlocking it using the fob.

The lock button on the rear lift gate also does not work.

I’m scheduled to have the dealership look at it but when I took it in without an appointment to see if it was an easy fix, they swore up and down it was working as it should. I even had one mechanic lecture me on the operation of an “automatic lift gate”.

It wasn’t until I walked them to a Touring on their showroom floor and demonstrated to them how it should work that they believed me.

I guess this was a learning opportunity.

It’s not a big deal as I can still open the lift gate but hopefully they can fix it.

...it’s not a setting issue. I, and then the staff went through the settings multiple times before they decided I would need to bring it in for a specific appointment.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, it’s absolutly should unlock just with the fob in the pocket. Super convent and we use this feature all the time in Forester and just used Ascent when loading kids with bunch of swim gear.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I’m scheduled to have the dealership look at it but when I took it in without an appointment to see if it was an easy fix, they swore up and down it was working as it should. I even had one mechanic lecture me on the operation of an “automatic lift gate”.

It wasn’t until I walked them to a Touring on their showroom floor and demonstrated to them how it should work that they believed me.

This is ridiculous. SMH

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Mine definitely does this, but there's certain circumstances that cause it. I *think* locking the doors and then trying to open the liftgate fails. I will try later to try to figure out which combination allows opening it from the buttons. The FOB always works (for me), when the button is held.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine definitely does this, but there's certain circumstances that cause it. I *think* locking the doors and then trying to open the liftgate fails. I will try later to try to figure out which combination allows opening it from the buttons. The FOB always works (for me), when the button is held.
Thanks Robert. There doesn’t appear to be a Genius Bar at my dealership so if I can fix it and avoid taking it in, that would be preferable.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Thanks Robert. There doesn’t appear to be a Genius Bar at my dealership so if I can fix it and avoid taking it in, that would be preferable.
Don't thank me yet. With luck, I will find consistency to this. If I'm unlucky, I will find it's random, and my car needs to go in as well.

On that note, my car IS going in on August 4th (earliest I can do) so that they can check out the Infotainment system for some of the bugs discussed elsewhere. My Service Coordinator says she thinks there's an update that may fix it, if they can get it installed - some updates were made for the 2018 models, and she's hopeful.

Since door locking and unlocking is programmable by the Infotainment system, perhaps it will address any inconsistencies there too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts