Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had just started the Ascent and needed something out of the back so I got out to open the rear hatch. It wouldn't open with the engine running so I thought I would try the remote. I guess I hit the lock button on the remote and then could not get the car to unlock. So there I am standing outside the car with it running and my phone is in it and the remote won't open it. Luckily I was home and was able to go back in the house and use the computer to log on to "My Subaru" to unlock it.
I should have remembered the key in the remote.

·
Registered
965 Posts
You can also program PIN code access. You can then unlock with PIN, using special rear gate button
Please note that the instructions for doing so are in the Owners Manual, which means no one will ever read them since no one ever opens this book.

And unless they've made it easier to follow, I've only been able to successfully do this once. :tango_face_surprise

·
Registered
142 Posts
Please note that the instructions for doing so are in the Owners Manual, which means no one will ever read them since no one ever opens this book.

And unless they've made it easier to follow, I've only been able to successfully do this once. :tango_face_surprise
Surprised to hear that. It's fairly straight forward but you must pay attention and go slowly.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hang on ... @OP - are you saying it's possible to:
1. Start vehicle
2. Exit vehicle with fob
3. Lock vehicle with button on fob
4. Be unable to either:
a. Have the key "sense" you and unlock
b. Manually unlock with button on fob

???

·
Registered
965 Posts
Surprised to hear that. It's fairly straight forward but you must pay attention and go slowly.
That's because we don't own them, we just sell them. And when you have a customer asking you to hurry up and show them how to do something ... you sort of just go, okay, it's on this page in the owners manual.

Note that this was back in the day when the Outback first came out with these, and the whole Morse code thing didn't make a lot of sense to me. So I sort of quit trying ... :devil:

·
Registered
298 Posts
That's because we don't own them, we just sell them. And when you have a customer asking you to hurry up and show them how to do something ... you sort of just go, okay, it's on this page in the owners manual.

Note that this was back in the day when the Outback first came out with these, and the whole Morse code thing didn't make a lot of sense to me. So I sort of quit trying ... :devil:
It's pretty easy,... once you know how to do it,...haha. Had a couple anxious moments first time I did mine, though. I set the pin code, etc, no problem. But when I tried to start the car after opening it with the pin code, it wouldn't go (forgot the message on the dash, but it was onerous). So, I opened the manual again, to see what gives, and it says you need to re-enable your fob same way you disabled it. Well, I had forgot exactly how I had disabled it, and as the manual explains, more than 1 way to do it. Anyway, I did figure it out, and got everything working again.

Haven't used it in a while, so will probably have to open the manual again, to be sure I don't screw up.

·
Registered
217 Posts

I did, but I forgot the code!!

Reactions: kathytn

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am a software engineer with 25 years in the industry. I found pin programming to be one of the most user unfriendly experience of many electronic or lock type gadget. I programmed it on two cars, but there is no way my wife or my mother in law would be able to figure it out.

Instructions are not very user friendly either. Even on Subaru video (and in manual), they do’t show which button to press and hold. They keep referring to lock button (which makes sense as rear gate open/close butto ) while it is pin button the right. Manual only says to repeat step 5 to commit code, while all digits need to be repeated (it should say “above steps “ or “stepS” 5)

If you do a cursory search, many users are frustrated with this super useful feature (which I use all the time)

·
Registered
598 Posts
I am a software engineer with 25 years in the industry. I found pin programming to be one of the most user unfriendly experience of many electronic or lock type gadget. I programmed it on two cars, but there is no way my wife or my mother in law would be able to figure it out.

Instructions are not very user friendly either. Even on Subaru video (and in manual), they do’t show which button to press and hold. They keep referring to lock button (which makes sense as rear gate open/close butto ) while it is pin button the right. Manual only says to repeat step 5 to commit code, while all digits need to be repeated (it should say “above steps “ or “stepS” 5)

If you do a cursory search, many users are frustrated with this super useful feature (which I use all the time)
Agreed! I found a step by step how to on YouTube that I use and reference each time I do this setup. I don’t use any of the Subaru provided material as it’s terribly documented and explained.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yeah, if they explained/documented everything in detail in the owner's manual, then it would probably be 3 inches thick and you wouldn't be able to fit any gloves in the glove box.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Had just started the Ascent and needed something out of the back so I got out to open the rear hatch. It wouldn't open with the engine running so I thought I would try the remote. I guess I hit the lock button on the remote and then could not get the car to unlock. So there I am standing outside the car with it running and my phone is in it and the remote won't open it. Luckily I was home and was able to go back in the house and use the computer to log on to "My Subaru" to unlock it.
I should have remembered the key in the remote.

@Jason thanks for sharing the video of how to do the pin code access.

This still doesn't address the bigger issue from @flipt143 - why wouldn't @flipt143 be able to get into the car with the remote? This doesn't make sense to me. Anyone with insight who can explain it and possibly provide a solution to ensure the remote can lock AND unlock a car (even when the engine is on)?

·
Registered
764 Posts
@Jason thanks for sharing the video of how to do the pin code access.

This still doesn't address the bigger issue from @flipt143 - why wouldn't @flipt143 be able to get into the car with the remote? This doesn't make sense to me. Anyone with insight who can explain it and possibly provide a solution to ensure the remote can lock AND unlock a car (even when the engine is on)?

It does have a small key that is hidden in the fob that will manually unlock the door.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Agreed! I found a step by step how to on YouTube that I use and reference each time I do this setup. I don’t use any of the Subaru provided material as it’s terribly documented and explained.

How about posting a link to the video? I did it right on my 2015 Outback, but that was a long time ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1. Start vehicle
2. Exit vehicle with fob
4. Be unable to either:

???
Yes that is what happened.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
@Robert.Mauro Would you be willing to test this issue?

This seems really odd that OP couldn't unlock even with the FOB.

·
Registered
184 Posts
1. Start vehicle
2. Exit vehicle with fob
4. Be unable to either:

???
Yes that is what happened.
Why would Subaru design it like this? Makes no sense to me.

Yeah - this would be pants-on-head logic.

In 2006 I had a 330i which would lock and unlock whe running - nicknamed the 'starbucks' feature or some nonsense. This feature - while of dubious value - makes sense.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts