Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, let me run a scenario by you guys.

On the vehicles with push button start, all you have to do is have the key 'near' the ignition (in your pocket in a purse etc.) and you're good, press the start button and off you go. Same with walking up to the car and unlocking/locking the doors (have the key near the car and you're good).

So, that means if for some odd reason, key is left in a purse in the car, and you get out, swipe your finger on the handle and lock the doors... oops, you just locked your keys inside the car. But no big deal! Just swipe your finger on the handle and the door unlocks again because the keys are there in the car. Great! Awesome feature...

HOWEVER, say you're in a not so great neighborhood/part of town... you park and you lock your doors. You have to sit inside your car for a period of time or maybe you're at a stop light with doors locked. What is stopping a bad guy from simply walking up to the front door, putting their hand on the door handle and viola, the door unlocks!

Please someone tell me this has been thought of and this will not happen, ever, somehow. Because that would be a big safety issue to me.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I don't think the unlock works unless they key is outside the car by that specific door. Just like I don't think you can start the car unless they key is physically inside the car (maybe with door open it will work).

I haven't tested it but I also wonder if it will let you lock the car with the keys inside from an outside panel. I don't think my other car that had this allowed you to do that.

These are some good tests to run to see how the system works.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Also, you can disable your FOB, so you can leave it inside and lock the car. But you need to have your pin code access set up (back gate door). Very handy for jogging or going swimming somewhere and want to lock everything in your car.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm always conscious about security and I'll turn off the auto unlock if there's a feature. I know Toyota has this feature to limit access via clicking the key FOB

·
Registered
597 Posts
Also, you can disable your FOB, so you can leave it inside and lock the car. But you need to have your pin code access set up (back gate door). Very handy for jogging or going swimming somewhere and want to lock everything in your car.
Wait if lock your key in the car how do you then open your door? Did I miss some key piece of information like an external keypad or something?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
170 Posts
Reactions: Titanrx8

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wait if lock your key in the car how do you then open your door? Did I miss some key piece of information like an external keypad or something?
There is a button on the tailgate near the license plate that you can program a pin code into. We have the feature on my wife's '16 OB

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Here's how you do the keyless PIN. If it's the same as the Outback or Legacy.
If that doesn't work, check out this one from the Crosstrek.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't know about the Ascent, but in most cars with FOBs, the car knows where the FOB is specifically.

If the FOB is inside the car, the car wont lock from the outside.
If the FOB is outside the car, the push button start wont work.
If the FOB is in your pocket standing outside the drivers side door, the passenger cant unlock the doors with the outside door handle on that side...etc.

Make sense? In most cases, the car is a lot smarter than you think (or at least than I thought)

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
170 Posts
I don't know about the Ascent, but in most cars with FOBs, the car knows where the FOB is specifically.

If the FOB is inside the car, the car wont lock from the outside.
If the FOB is outside the car, the push button start wont work.
If the FOB is in your pocket standing outside the drivers side door, the passenger cant unlock the doors with the outside door handle on that side...etc.

Make sense? In most cases, the car is a lot smarter than you think (or at least than I thought)
I've heard that the fob can be wrapped in foil and left in the car. At that point the fob is supposed to be undetectable.

Reactions: cjkenton

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is a great feature. Thanks

·
Registered
965 Posts
I've heard that the fob can be wrapped in foil and left in the car. At that point the fob is supposed to be undetectable.
That's a deliberate action on your part, so you know it's in there, because you're going swimming or something. Also, at that point, you just pull the metal door key out and take it with you.

It's possible, but very unlikely, that you can just drop you keyless fob in the car and get the doors to lock. The car won't let you lock it from the outside under most circumstances with the fob still inside.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Disabling the key FOB and using the PIN access works well. Just check your manual. Tells you everything about the different locking/unlocking options and preferences. Too much info to spell out here...

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the STARLINK Safety and Security Plus and the remote starting feature has worked flawlessly so far....but then I tried to implement the
alternate operation method using the fob as outline starting on page 326 of the owners manual. All the flashes and chips occurred BUT the car would not start...tried several times..no success.....then I noticed on the top of the owners manual page 326 “Remote engine start system(dealer option).....

I know this was all discussed on the forum in prior threads..I think....can someone tell me if the remote start using my Touring model fob will work. DoI need dealer assistance? Has anyone got this working?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Ok, let me run a scenario by you guys.

On the vehicles with push button start, all you have to do is have the key 'near' the ignition (in your pocket in a purse etc.) and you're good, press the start button and off you go. Same with walking up to the car and unlocking/locking the doors (have the key near the car and you're good).

So, that means if for some odd reason, key is left in a purse in the car, and you get out, swipe your finger on the handle and lock the doors... oops, you just locked your keys inside the car. But no big deal! Just swipe your finger on the handle and the door unlocks again because the keys are there in the car. Great! Awesome feature...

HOWEVER, say you're in a not so great neighborhood/part of town... you park and you lock your doors. You have to sit inside your car for a period of time or maybe you're at a stop light with doors locked. What is stopping a bad guy from simply walking up to the front door, putting their hand on the door handle and viola, the door unlocks!

Please someone tell me this has been thought of and this will not happen, ever, somehow. Because that would be a big safety issue to me.

It doesn't work when the car is in drive.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the STARLINK Safety and Security Plus and the remote starting feature has worked flawlessly so far....but then I tried to implement the
alternate operation method using the fob as outline starting on page 326 of the owners manual. All the flashes and chips occurred BUT the car would not start...tried several times..no success.....then I noticed on the top of the owners manual page 326 “Remote engine start system(dealer option).....

I know this was all discussed on the forum in prior threads..I think....can someone tell me if the remote start using my Touring model fob will work. DoI need dealer assistance? Has anyone got this working?
It's a $400 option that requires an installed module to use the fob, even on the touring.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks...that’s probably why I took the 7 year STARLINK safety plus and security plus package..I just couldn’t remember?
Do we get this for a trial period when we pick up our cars? We wanted to get this and our dealer never mentioned or asked us if we wanted to sign up for it. I think he said to give him a day or two and he will set it up for us though. Sounds like it might be a trial period?? Or should we bring this up and ask for it ASAP?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Do we get this for a trial period when we pick up our cars? We wanted to get this and our dealer never mentioned or asked us if we wanted to sign up for it. I think he said to give him a day or two and he will set it up for us though. Sounds like it might be a trial period?? Or should we bring this up and ask for it ASAP?
You get a 6 month trial period and it should have been activated by the dealer.....I decided to pay 374.00 and take the 7 year
deal...you can wait to near the end of the free trial period to decide on more years ....

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That's a deliberate action on your part, so you know it's in there, because you're going swimming or something. Also, at that point, you just pull the metal door key out and take it with you.

It's possible, but very unlikely, that you can just drop you keyless fob in the car and get the doors to lock. The car won't let you lock it from the outside under most circumstances with the fob still inside.
You are absolutely correct when you say, "it's possible, but very unlikely...". We rented a 2016 Ford Explorer and wanted to wash it when we got home. My daughter took it to the car wash and left the key fob in the center console. Sure enough the car locked with the key fob inside. That made for a late night waiting for roadside assistance. There is a "code" you can use on the keypad on the side of the door, but the code was in the engine bay and in the glove box, neither of which we had access to.

I would not recommend leaving your key fob in the car unless you have used the previously outlined procedure for unlocking the vehicle. Even then, we are working with electronics and things can go wrong.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts