Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I am able to leave the car running and lock the doors? I have my dog with me a lot and with summer coming up I want to make sure he is comfortable. I would normally leave him at home when the weather is warmer, but if I am able to run into the grocery store while leaving the engine running that would be helpful.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
No. Historically, that feature is voided across all makes and models. I used to install remote start add-on to OEM keyless system and that’s a feature clients would want but I would have to hack it. I did it once on an Accord but it took a long time, resolved by looking thru diagrams and testings. It was analog system. ascent operates on digital system (ie CANbus)

·
Registered
8 Posts
my ascent is our first car with remote start and we have only had it for 2 days so i haven't tested this yet. But how my wife and i normally deal with a cold mornings in other cars we have owned, is we get into car and start it. get out of the car and use the actual key which you pull out of the fob to lock the doors of the car. On my Mazda, technically someone can break the glass or jimmy the door and then drive off(i tested this recently, you would think if the key fob isn't within range you wouldn't be able to put it into drive, but i was able to)

i only do this in my driveway at my house, so i am not too concerned about someone breaking the door or glass and driving off. this may work for the Ascent too. But it has worked on 4 mazdas and a honda.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,210 Posts
The advantage to the Remote Start is that the running vehicle is disabled from being able to be driven off by someone who doesn't have the fob and attends to the "full start" procedure after entering the vehicle. Using the Starlink Remote Start might be applicable for the OP's situation since it has the ability to direct the HVAC controls as part of the start process. So the OP would need to stop the Ascent, leave the vehicle, lock up, and then use the remote start to restart it for the pooch. Note that the remote start run time is limited to a short interval after which it will shut down. This is not a normally designated reason to use remote start, but it's a likely work around for what the OP wants to do.

Reactions: Titanrx8

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have not tried this yet on the Ascent, but on my STI I can start the car, all doors shut and locked. Then manually unlock the driver door, open, step out, manually lock the driver door, shut. Of course you'd want an actual key to unlock the door, the fob won't work at that point. So I always keep two keys with me during the winter months for just this reason.

might want a 2nd person inside the car to test this out. :)

·
Administrator
11,121 Posts
NEVER LEAVE POOCH IN THE CAR. We all forget the time he’s in the car. 10 min and the car will shut down. Hot days in Florida will kill a child or dog in short order. Please, not a good idea.
ALWAYS great advice to never leave a child or pet in an unattended vehicle, but, the Ascent will happily run for hours and not turn off.

The 10 minute turn-off (configurable to less time) only applies to remote started cars.

·
Registered
146 Posts
NEVER LEAVE POOCH IN THE CAR. We all forget the time he’s in the car. 10 min and the car will shut down. Hot days in Florida will kill a child or dog in short order. Please, not a good idea.
When my son was about 2 weeks old, we came out of a restaurant and the car parked next to us (a BMW, if that matters) had an infant in the back seat, all windows up and engine off. This was September in Minnesota, but it was a 70 degree sunny day, so I'm sure the interior was pretty warm.

We both freaked out and called the cops (s-l-o-w response, like it wasn't even an emergency), and after 5 minutes of the cops not showing my wife insisted I break a front window so she can take the baby out of the car. I was literally taking a collapsible baton out of my car when the mom came up to the car with takeout from Noodles & Co. I had to physically restrain my wife (who is a marketing director executive, not a brawler) -- she was going to assault this mother and hold her for the cops.

The mother started bawling and when my wife told her the cops were coming and she was going to jail. She drove off and the cops showed up like 5 minutes later (I'd say 15 minutes after the call), totally uninterested.

I often debate whether we overreacted, but infants die all the time in hot cars and how do you not do something? Since my wife was a recent first-time mother (like two weeks), I'm sure she was on emotional overdrive but it probably would have been a problem if she had fought to restrain the other mother for the police.

I'm not sure what would have happened if I smashed the window before the mother got back. I'm reasonably sure that Good Samaritan laws and the nature of the situation would have gotten me off legally, although it sure would be have been fun explaining to the cops why my wife has someone else's baby and we're standing next to car with a shattered window. What's more compelling to the cop, a mother claiming we're trying to steal her baby, or us explaining her baby was locked in a car on a sunny day? There's a busted window on her car and I have a weapon (the baton) in my car. I feel like everyone is going to the station for a couple of hours until they get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's possible. I've done it both with my Outback and the Ascent with a push start. How? very simple :) Lock the car from the inside.Take out the metal key that is inside the FOB and leave the FOB in the car. Get out and lock the driver's door with the metal key and walk away.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi guys,
If you have the car running...
Roll driver window down.
Get out.
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR KEY FOB... WITH THE DETACHABLE KEY ON IT.
Close door.
Hit the door lock button through the open window.
Hit the 1 click up button for driver window.
Remove your hand (obviously).
Car is now locked + running and will only unlock via the physical key which comes out of the key fob, or someone inside hitting the unlock button.
(Car cannot be put into drive without the fob)

Not condoning this, but sometimes it is your best option.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's possible. I've done it both with my Outback and the Ascent with a push start. How? very simple :) Lock the car from the inside.Take out the metal key that is inside the FOB and leave the FOB in the car. Get out and lock the driver's door with the metal key and walk away.
With this method I think someone can steal the car just by breaking the window, hitting the unlock button. I am not 100% sure.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,210 Posts
With this method I think someone can steal the car just by breaking the window, hitting the unlock button. I am not 100% sure.
Correct. They could do that. That's not possible with remote start since the vehicle isn't officially "on" until you enter, depress the brake pedal and hit the start button on the dash with the keyfob on your person.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Correct. They could do that. That's not possible with remote start since the vehicle isn't officially "on" until you enter, depress the brake pedal and hit the start button on the dash with the keyfob on your person.
My alternative method above will work and won't let someone steal the car. You have to roll the window up with the 1 click up button from outside of the car while you maintain possession of the fob + detachable key. If someone breaks the window and unlocks the car, they can't drive it away.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,193 Posts
In Orange County Florida, a police dog died in a specially equipped K9 patrol SUV. This car had dual a/c systems. Didn't help when the car ran out of gas.

I believe that the current law in Florida allows anyone observing a child or animal left in a closed car can legally break a window and remove the child or animal. Doesn't matter if the car is running.

I have a friend who leaves his 2 dogs in his closed, running car often and puts a sign in the window saying that the a/c is running.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So if you start the car from the inside, leave the car with the key and shut the door, it will not let you lock the car with the remote? Also, if the car is running and the key is not inside the car, will it let you put it in drive? In my F150 the key has to be in the truck to put it in drive. I always drive with my key in my pocket, and I've imaged a scenario where I'm carjacked. Leave it running, put it in park, and take off on foot. Truck won't move.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts