Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We liven Houston and we have dogs in our SUV on a regular basis. In the summer it is important to be able to leave the engine running with the A/C on while parked. We always lock the doors and have no issues. We are very close to buying an Ascent Limited and we wondered if we can lock and unlock the doors using the key fob with the engine running?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Haven't tried that one although I'm curious. My plan was to use the remote start and set that to as long a time as possible. Just lost my little pooch so I haven't had a reason to try it yet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
We liven Houston and we have dogs in our SUV on a regular basis. In the summer it is important to be able to leave the engine running with the A/C on while parked. We always lock the doors and have no issues. We are very close to buying an Ascent Limited and we wondered if we can lock and unlock the doors using the key fob with the engine running?
I don't believe the Ascent or any push button start vehicle will allow you to lock the doors with the engine running, unless you are in the vehicle. The remote start will work perfectly for you but the car will only run for 10 minutes, then you'll have to restart it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Lock Ascent with engine running? Of course ... just not like on a German or a patrol car or other where the vehicle is designed to do this conveniently.

Assumptions:
1. push-button start

Steps:
1. Turn on vehicle
2. Ensure you have key fob with valet key in your possession
3. Lower driver side window
4. Open driver door
5. Exit vehicle
6. Close driver door
7. Lean in driver window and lock all doors via switch on door
8. Use 'auto-up' functionality on driver door window

The vehicle is now locked with the engine running. Since you have the fob, the transmission will not shift out of 'Park'

You didn't specify re-entering the vehicle :D but the valet key will unlock the doors.

I know this works on a 2015 Outback and 2018 Outback - so am taking a leap of faith that it works on my Ascent. Haven't had a dry cleaning run yet so cannot confirm.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've used the remote start on two different occasions with my dog inside. Once running into the grocery store and once during a road trip, stopping for lunch. When I ran into the store, I locked the car and remote started it, while in the parking lot and set my watch for 10 min, but I was in and out before that. When we stopped for lunch, it was much cooler and I had the windows open. I just started the car and let it run a couple of times while having lunch.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you have push button start, you have a valet key. If this is unclear, reply and I'll post a pic

They never gave me the valet key at the dealer. I just asked for it.
Did you not receive a key ring (not a chain, but an actual ring attached to the actual key)? If yes, you should have the valet key, as there is no alternative (that I'm aware of) to attach a ring.

In the attached pic the fob with a number is for my 2018 OB. The fob with no number is for my Ascent. On all fobs, just depress the tiny silver square (it's actually a button) and the valet key slides out. FWIW the first time you do this it might be very tight fitment.

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,928 Posts
FOB pouches...

Attempting above method tomorrow on myself in car first

From old Subaru the process was having an extra FOB and locking one in the car and carrying one
These work:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BSHHF93/

I highly recommend AGAINST leaving a key-fob in a car. In the event someone breaks in and digs through things and finds it, it's more than the contents of the car they'd get away with.

But, if one wanted to make the bad decision of locking a key fob in the car, that pouch prevents the vehicle from detecting it (in my limited test), allowing one to run off with just their phone or some alternative method of unlocking the car (like the hidden physical key, which can get wet unlike the FOB).

My phone is waterproof, my FOB is not, so, it gives me more options when hiking through streams, waterfalls, etc, or when on the beach. Not that I'd make such a bad decision, but, if I did, those are the options I thought of. Lock the FOB inside the car in the pouch, and use the key portion to open the car, or use my phone to open it.

Is this a "Do what I say, not what I do"? scenario? :smile_big: :tango_face_wink:

On a serious note though, I don't plan on doing this. I thought of a better idea, and am just looking for the right thing. I will instead get a form fitting (or close to it) waterproof pouch that can connect to a belt loop or similar. Surfers and body boarders use little waterproof cases all the time for such things... so, I intend on finding one of the appropriate size for the FOB and use that instead.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Attempting above method tomorrow on myself in car first

From old Subaru the process was having an extra FOB and locking one in the car and carrying one
Assuming this means:
1. unlock car
2. place fob inside car & start car
3. somehow lock door
4. use additional fob to keylessly unlock door

^ this does not work. I tried it over the weekend. Neither the external key fob unlock button nor the 'hand inside handle' method unlocked the door.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did manage to lick my keys inside with it running by accident... luckily I was on the free trial for door unlocking from phone

Literally don’t know what or how just accident and bad timing too

·
Registered
304 Posts
On the key fobs, there is a silver button, you push it and a door key can be pulled out.

You turn your car on, lock the doors, manually unlock your door, open, and manually re-lock it.

Getting in, you remove the key insert from the key fob and unlock the door that way (its for situations where the key fob battery dies and your doors are locked).

I've had to show many outback/forester touring owners this method.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.