Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I am the very happy owner of a 2012 2.5I Outback with about 140000 miles, frequently towing an A-Liner camper that weighs 1500 lbs with a tongue weight of 185, and carry a 53 pound kayak on the Subaru's roof. The kayak is carried on a Thule rack, from which I can pull out a 2 ft bar that allows me to easily lift and place the kayak on the roof.. I am planning to buy an Ascent to have higher towing and tongue weight.capacity, since I am planning to purchase a Casita or Tab 400 camper that weighs over 3000 lbs and has a tongue weight of 350 or more pounds. And if not now, when?
Yesterday I discovered this forum, and already learned a lot about engines, other technical aspects and performance, and truly love how experienced and kind people share their knowledge.
How can a 5 foot 7 inch tall person of medium strength load a kayak efficiently on an Ascent by herself? I have no problem with the Outback, but an additional 6 inches in height will make a difference.
Please share your experiences and your suggestions.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,111 Posts
Not sure how to answer your question other than getting a hitch receiver step, or some of the other steps. There are ones that hook over the rear tires and ones that hook into the door lock receiver on the C pillar.

In other regards, you might want to pass on the panoramic moon roof. A scratch or dent in the metal roof won't be as expensive as possible cracking or shattering the moon roof in a mishap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts