Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t take credit because someone posted it on a fb page, but I searched here without any results and just got a chance to test it the other day....
When your phone is connected via Bluetooth with text messages enabled on the head unit (not connected via CarPlay or AndroidAuto) DO NOT have the car read the message ‘wtf’. She doesn’t abbreviate...

·
Registered
72 Posts
What do you mean "with text messages enabled on the head unit " ? My screen shows a "messages" box in the lower right corner but it's been grayed out for the past 1 1/2 years

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
What do you mean "with text messages enabled on the head unit " ? My screen shows a "messages" box in the lower right corner but it's been grayed out for the past 1 1/2 years
I haven’t synced my iPhone to my HU yet, however on Android, one must enable permissions from the phone to allow this to happen.

There is probably a set of minimum requirements to allow messages to be shared over Bluetooth for Android version and Bluetooth version.

What kind of phone do you have?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I haven’t synced my iPhone to my HU yet, however on Android, one must enable permissions from the phone to allow this to happen.

There is probably a set of minimum requirements to allow messages to be shared over Bluetooth for Android version and Bluetooth version.

What kind of phone do you have?

iPhone8. I read that I have to go into the Bluetooth settings and "enable notifications" but it didn't change anything. Normally I would not care, but now, all of a sudden, I have something going on that very well may be hilariously show-off worthy. 😆

·
Registered
247 Posts
On Android you have to have Assistant enabled, which is total nonsense and thus why I can't/don't use it.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@civdiv99 enabling notifications in Bluetooth settings on your phone is how you enable the text reading on your head unit. It doesn’t work if messages is open on your phone, which causes the message to be marked read and the phone doesn’t forward the notification.
To test it out I texted wtf to myself then went to the Home Screen immediately after sending before the message arrived.

81806641-6941-4969-BB1B-2FEBD483B290.jpeg

·
Registered
72 Posts
@civdiv99 enabling notifications in Bluetooth settings on your phone is how you enable the text reading on your head unit. It doesn’t work if messages is open on your phone, which causes the message to be marked read and the phone doesn’t forward the notification.
To test it out I texted wtf to myself then went to the Home Screen immediately after sending before the message arrived.

View attachment 5264

Ok I'm pretty sure I had messages on my phone doing this. So it's already set up to show notifications. so in theory with the messages up unopened i should be able to go out to the car, let it connect, and then receive a message? I think the problem was I was using the phone to text people to text me back. Not sure how to text myself but I'll have someone work with me to test it.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,145 Posts
I think that bottom line here is that if one is using Bluetooth with messaging turned on so you can use the vehicle head unit to read messages (in lieu of using CarPlay/AndroidAuto), the system will interpret known acronyms like "WTF" and read them out as whole words. The importance of that is if anyone in the vehicle shouldn't be hearing certain words...consideration should be given about using the feature. ;) (I have not personally tested this because I use CarPlay and only ever have other adults in the vehicle with me)

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can't believe some engineer allowed our cars to talk like that. My 2019 Touring has a potty mouth too.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,145 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
(I have not personally tested this because I use CarPlay and only ever have other adults in the vehicle with me)
Thats why it took over 2 years for me to find this; I use CarPlay nearly 100% of the time!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Wait .. it actually say "what the f**k" and not spell out: W,T,F?

If so, that's very cool that the car is honest and truthful, a very rare personality these days ... lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts