Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
In houston Area, limiteds are around 40k to 41k i wonder what would be a good price to offer to my dealer?
I live in CO and we are buying from Heuberger which happens to be the highest volume Subaru dealer in the nation so they are able to know a lot off the price. We built our limited and it came out to about $44,244. The dealer said the would charge us $40,128. I would say offer 3-4k under MSRP but be prepared for them to decline since they probably dont sell as many as a dealer in CO.

·
Registered
287 Posts
In houston Area, limiteds are around 40k to 41k i wonder what would be a good price to offer to my dealer?
Invoice or below is an Awesome deal and MSRP or below is an Ascent deal :tango_face_wink:
It depends on the market and I would recommend to call all the dealers and find the best deal. If I remember right, someone here mentioned they got at Invoice price in Houston or near by cities. Also, check if Costco is offering the Auto program at your location.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I live in CO and we are buying from Heuberger which happens to be the highest volume Subaru dealer in the nation so they are able to know a lot off the price. We built our limited and it came out to about $44,244. The dealer said the would charge us $40,128. I would say offer 3-4k under MSRP but be prepared for them to decline since they probably dont sell as many as a dealer in CO.
I agree! Don’t pay over invoice! There is plenty of threads on here that break down invoice for all trims and accessories. Some will go with it some won’t! Just shop around.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Honestly, if you want the easiest experience try this:

I ran across this really short video from a professor somewhere about using game theory to get the best price on a car. Youtube Link, 2m46s

I'd wanted to try it for years, so I decided that I would buy the new Subaru this way.

I got it for several thousand under invoice, and the lowest that anyone had reported on the online car buying services, so it really seemed to work. I used Heuberger to validate the price.

Do this:

Don't call like the video suggests. Reach out to the internet manager of each dealership. You can use the email form on the various subaru websites to initiate communications. Here's what I wrote:

Hi! I'm interested in price proposals from a few dealerships for a factory order for the car below. Could you please send me the price for the car and the itemized out-the-door price (including DMV fees, sales taxes, and any dealer charges for documentation, etc.)? Since this is a factory order, it would be useful to know your factory order deposit requirement as well.

Here's the exact build I'm interested in, with the standard and optional accessories I'm after. (See below.)

Thank you!

And here is where I pasted the exact build I wanted as copied from the Subaru car-builder website thing.​

After I got each of the initial offers, I took the lowest offer and sent that back to everyone one at a time to see if they would beat it.

One important note: don't tell them about your Subaru Ambassador coupon. Wait to give that to them until just before you sign the paperwork. The coupon is a payment directly from Subaru to the dealership, so you don't want the dealership to know that you have it before they settle on the lowest price.

Once they give you that out-the-door price, keep a copy with you and you shouldn't have to haggle at all. It was definitely the fastest car-buying experience I've ever had.

That is how I was able to get a slamming deal on our Limited. $41,500 (not including tax and all that crap) no other local dealer would come CLOSE to that.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I still think anything UNDER MSRP is a great deal on a brand new car.

If you can get under 40 depending on your options, you're doing pretty well. Mine without sunroof and so on is around 41.5 out the door that's with hitch and several add ons. It's not the lowest, but California doesn't seem to be dealing as much as Colorado and Illinois.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Following as I'm in South Texas also looking for a Limited. I dipped my toe in the water with a few dealerships closer to me just to see if anyone was offering VIP pricing as that is what I am probably going to hold out for. The best of the 3 dealerships came back with $1,000 off MRSP with accessories at MSRP if you place an order. That was Subaru of Georgetown internet sales. They are filling orders for Sept now, or at least they were on Monday.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got my Premium with the moonroof package for $500 under invoice. MSRP is $39,430 and I got it for $36,054.

You might look at out of state dealers. I know I've seen a couple people on here that ordered a car out of state and had it shipped to them and still paid less than the local dealers were selling for.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I checked Trucar which saved me $5,000 on my Outback and it only saved me $460 off MSRP on the Ascent. Demand is still too high in my area.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Honestly, if you want the easiest experience try this:

I ran across this really short video from a professor somewhere about using game theory to get the best price on a car. Youtube Link, 2m46s

I'd wanted to try it for years, so I decided that I would buy the new Subaru this way.

I got it for several thousand under invoice, and the lowest that anyone had reported on the online car buying services, so it really seemed to work. I used Heuberger to validate the price.

Do this:

Don't call like the video suggests. Reach out to the internet manager of each dealership. You can use the email form on the various subaru websites to initiate communications. Here's what I wrote:

Hi! I'm interested in price proposals from a few dealerships for a factory order for the car below. Could you please send me the price for the car and the itemized out-the-door price (including DMV fees, sales taxes, and any dealer charges for documentation, etc.)? Since this is a factory order, it would be useful to know your factory order deposit requirement as well.

Here's the exact build I'm interested in, with the standard and optional accessories I'm after. (See below.)

Thank you!

And here is where I pasted the exact build I wanted as copied from the Subaru car-builder website thing.​

After I got each of the initial offers, I took the lowest offer and sent that back to everyone one at a time to see if they would beat it.

One important note: don't tell them about your Subaru Ambassador coupon. Wait to give that to them until just before you sign the paperwork. The coupon is a payment directly from Subaru to the dealership, so you don't want the dealership to know that you have it before they settle on the lowest price.

Once they give you that out-the-door price, keep a copy with you and you shouldn't have to haggle at all. It was definitely the fastest car-buying experience I've ever had.

That is how I was able to get a slamming deal on our Limited. $41,500 (not including tax and all that crap) no other local dealer would come CLOSE to that.
Are you sure you got the car for several thousand under “invoice?” The price you listed seen pretty close to invoice for a decked out limited (option 23, additional accessories).

·
Registered
980 Posts
Just fyi

Dealer invoice for the limited depending on options runs between $38,000 and $39,000

Dealer invoice for a Touring pending options runs between $41,000 and $42,000

Over $41k before your taxes and fees for a Limited isn’t invoice or under invoice. My last two Subarus were $400 below invoice price. My most recent car a Ford was $300 below invoice after starting at a yr old lot queen at msrp we ended at right off the truck current yr exact car we wanted $300 below invoice.

Buying cars from dealers is an exercise in negotiating skills. Of which very few Americans have. Visit any US farmers market you won’t see any negotiating. Go to markets outside the US and everything is negotiated!

I even negotiate my dealer service visits but nearly zero service sales staff have this skill. So they default to their bottom line or shut down and say no thats our price and have no skill set to actually look it up. Which case I skip that dealer.

·
Registered
416 Posts
considering all the dealers around me wouldnt budge more than $500, I would call it a great deal in my shoes. i could have looked out of state but i was overwhelmed with that, so i took the lowest one I could get.

also considering the spec'd out Limited with #23 was about 44 without taxes and fees (47k with everything), to get that for 41,500 and then just fess was a win win win for me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Are you sure you got the car for several thousand under “invoice?” The price you listed seen pretty close to invoice for a decked out limited (option 23, additional accessories).
my bad on under invoice lol. still a dang good deal.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.