Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Long-time lurker but new forum member here. I was considering ordering a Touring Ascent this spring, but I was wondering if I could instead order a Limited model and put together an options package without Nav, and get the majority of features that the Touring would normally include. In other words, are there specific items other than ventilated seats or the premium sound system that I would not be able to include? This might also let me get a specific exterior color and interior leather combination that I think I would prefer, since I'm not a big fan of the Touring Java brown leather. If doing this a la carte order would end up costing more than the Touring with Java brown, I think I could certainly live with the Touring.

Thanks for any advice. I've enjoyed following the various conversations, and the enthusiasm for Subaru is very clear.

McGarrett

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Since you mentioned about interior, I should warn you about the mismatch color on the Touring. The leather seats are brown but other leather trims are tan. Potentially for the Limited, you get consistent leather trim for tan color interior.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I have the rain-sensing wipers in my current vehicle and they are very nice, and I noticed the front and rear cameras and did not realize they could not be added to the Limited. I also like the more consistent color scheme in the Limited, rather than the multiple colors in the Touring. This might require some trade-offs.

McGarrett

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you want an Ascent that looks and feels almost hi end get a touring. If you want a utility vehicle get the Limited. Look at the nearly all black door panels in the non-Touring models and the center console. Then look at the Touring, so not exciting. I will say the Gold exterior with the tan interior is quite nice. Best bet go to several dealers and see all the combinations. You will easily be able to pick.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you want an Ascent that looks and feels almost hi end get a touring. If you want a utility vehicle get the Limited. Look at the nearly all black door panels in the non-Touring models and the center console. Then look at the Touring, so not exciting. I will say the Gold exterior with the tan interior is quite nice. Best bet go to several dealers and see all the combinations. You will easily be able to pick.
We have the tungsten limited 8 seater with ivory interior. The seats match that ivory trim up front, unlike the touring with the brown leather (that we loved), but has ivory color on the front dash - seems to clash. Our black dash board with the ivory interior (all over) suits us well... They are all beautiful!!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
I just had an active thread on this same subject with some useful and helpful comments from folks in it:

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...now-i-have-decide-touring-loaded-limited.html

I've pretty much decided to go Touring, despite my innate preference for the ivory interior available in the Limited. There are a couple of features that I'd like to "not lose" that I have now with what I'm presently driving, including the rain sensitive wipers and ventilated seats. My vehicle usage may also be better served by the Touring interior color, even though I've been driving a vehicle with the same essential color for 7 years now and kinda wanted a change lighter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks once again, and I appreciate Jim pointing out the thread that I had missed discussing many of these issues (Oops!). I am tempted to see if any new color or interior options are available for the 2020 Ascent before I make my decision. Since a poster in the thread Jim pointed out indicated that the price of a maxed-out Limited was just about the same as the Touring, maybe the Touring would be a good choice.

McGarrett

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the Touring is your best bet, if you can love the java interior. I got the white Touring and friends immediately noticed the java seats with contrast stitching and they equate the "look" up there with higher end SUVs. Personally, I like the contrast of the different colors. I originally ordered the white Forester Touring after seeing a silver Touring with black interior. It seemed like any other car with leather interior. We happened to switch our order to the Ascent and took delivery the same time a coworker bought a Highlander SE. His Highlander is also white, but with blacked out accessories (grill, headlight bezels, wheels). His interior was black leather with some red accent. Looks really nice. But that interior also had a lot of black plastic. I know that is the Highlander and not the Ascent, but when we test drove an Ascent they didn't have a Touring. The dealer pointed out the plastic interior panels that would be different on the Touring model.

Again, it's a preference. And frankly, when it comes to resale you will fetch more for the Touring.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Couple things.

My first new car (which I bought when I was a senior in college) was a 1973 Mercury Capri - made in Germany. It came in two trim levels: the base had a 4 cylinder, 2 liter engine; the upgrade was a 6 cylinder, 2.6 liter engine with some interior upgrades and a few extra exterior cosmetic touches. It cost about $250 extra. Being a bit tight on money, I chose the base model. Sometime afterward, I met someone who bought the 6 and had a chance to drive it. I liked it much better than mine.

Over the past 30 years, practically every car we have bought has been the top-of-the-line model. Often, you get goodies you wonder how you ever did without - moonroof, bigger wheels and tires, upgraded interior, better sound system (a big deal for me), etc. And, don't want to be without ever again.

We chose the Touring. I actually like the Java seats better than the tan seats (less likely to show dirt and they look like furniture!). The captain's chairs in the second row are perfect for us. When it's more than just my wife and me, it will usually be another couple riding with us. Those captain's chairs are very comfortable and recline. I also like the front camera, especially when parking in a public garage without tire stops.

We plan to have our Ascent for a long time. May as well have it outfitted with everything we want. That was the Touring. It checked off the most boxes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After considering this and taking the very helpful suggestions into consideration, I think the Touring would be the better choice for me. However, I am not really in a hurry to purchase, and my most recent plan is to wait until orders are being taken for the 2020 Ascent, and maybe there will be some new color and interior options. I will be starting a new thread to see if anyone has any educated guesses about when 2020 orders might start.

Thanks, everyone.

McGarrett

·
Registered
26 Posts
We drove both when purchasing ours, we bought the touring. It definitely rides better and seats are more comfortable, probably why it’s named Touring! I love the camera rear view mirror, it took a little time to get used to because it felt like I was watching a video at first, but now I never use it the other way unless I’m on a really dark road at night. I’m also going to add that I don’t love the car in general after 8 months of owning it but I am also used to driving BMW’s. I have a strange front end noise that everyone that rides in it can hear except for the dealer. The gas mileage is no better than my 8 cylinder X5, the radio glitches which the dealer tells me it’s a recall that we will be notified of soon, it hesitates at the worst times, the front end collision warning ( Eyesight) stops you way too soon that it gets annoying I mean more than a car length annoying, the panoramic roof only opens like a sunroof (X5 pano opens all but 6 inches and it has a duel pop up without the whole roof cover retracting) , my driver memory will only hold the very first setting I’ve ever put in, any adjustments made even after holding down the 2 buttons and hearing the beep, wipeout after engine is turned off, road and engine noise gets so annoying that I turn up the radio! Good point about the car, we’ve done multiple road trips with a full load and a fairly large adult in the 3rd row without an issue. Otherwise I know I won’t be keeping it the 39 months and I will be going back to BMW.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.