Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Someone help me out here. I'm doing a pricing between the two trims and cannot justify the price difference between the trims with similar accessories or am I missing something?

The only accessories missing on the limited trim are what is limit to the Touring such as chrome mirror/handle, woodgrain accent trim, ventilation seat, front camera and smart mirror... I can't justify 2.4K difference.

And which do you think is a better purchase? Assuming, money grows on tree.

Thanks in advance.

Limited $40,917
http://www.ascentforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=617&thumb=1

Touring $43,408
http://www.ascentforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=619&thumb=1

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
It really depends on your needs. I wanted everything, especially all the cameras, the moonroof and the better interior, so, I picked the Touring. If you want 8 seats, you're not getting the Touring. If you don't care about those few extra bells and whistles, it's a waste of the extra cash.

Try making a list of the stuff on the Touring-only that you *don't* care about and see what left, maybe?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really depends on your needs. I wanted everything, especially all the cameras, the moonroof and the better interior, so, I picked the Touring. If you want 8 seats, you're not getting the Touring. If you don't care about those few extra bells and whistles, it's a waste of the extra cash.

Try making a list of the stuff on the Touring-only that you *don't* care about and see what left, maybe?
Good point. Thanks.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
BTW, mind sharing how much you order your Touring for?
I honestly don't know yet, sorry. Started my order the night before "Day One" but won't know my price for a few more weeks (there's reasons that don't apply to others).

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Personally, if I were purchasing the Limited Edition, I would eliminate the NAV. The phone navigation system will do a much better job of finding locations and can be updated regularly for FREE. That would make the spread between the Limited and the Touring even greater. If you have an Android phone you can use WAZE for navigation which is awesome.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Someone help me out here. I'm doing a pricing between the two trims and cannot justify the price difference between the trims with similar accessories or am I missing something?

The only accessories missing on the limited trim are what is limit to the Touring such as chrome mirror/handle, woodgrain accent trim, ventilation seat, front camera and smart mirror... I can't justify 2.4K difference.

And which do you think is a better purchase? Assuming, money grows on tree.

Thanks in advance.

Limited $40,917
http://www.ascentforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=617&thumb=1

Touring $43,408
http://www.ascentforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=619&thumb=1

I assume you are assuming invoice prices? Personally I ordered a Limited because I don't like the Java brown leather interior. But even if I didn't have a preference I don't think I would have gone with a touring. The added benefits don't equal $2500 difference for me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Everyone has different personal preferences, so you'll have to decide what's important to you. I personally went through a similar dilemma as you did, and ultimately went with the Limited for the following reasons:
  • java brown seats and the wood trim were a net negative for me (personal taste)
  • 120v outlet will be missed, but not a "must have" accessory for me
  • auto sensing wipers would probably annoy me more than it'd be helpful
  • remaining differences: ventilation seat, front camera and smart mirror, etc. didn't seem worth ~$2500 extra

Also, based on the prices in your attachments, I think you got a phenomenal price! It's a lot better than what I pre-ordered the car for in California. I had a similar price quote from Illinois, but shipping the car ($1000-1500) would have offset any savings from the higher California prices. The price you listed reminds me of Grand and Berman in Illinois, and they were by far the best prices based on my research and negotiations. You can choose either of the quotes and feel confident you paid excellent prices for them. I'm paying about $40,500 and that excludes the tow hitch and remote engine starter, although I did get a couple of other smaller accessories (e.g., rear seat back protector).

Note: you probably won't get much pricing details from some of the members who I believe are Subaru employees (e.g., Jason, Carl, Robert), as that probably isn't in their best interest to divulge such info. They have still been great at providing helpful information for us non-employee customers these past few months. Jason and Carl in particular have offered great insight that I've really appreciated.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Note: you probably won't get much pricing details from some of the members who I believe are Subaru employees (e.g., Jason, Carl, Robert), as that probably isn't in their best interest to divulge such info. They have still been great at providing helpful information for us non-employee customers these past few months. Jason and Carl in particular have offered great insight that I've really appreciated.

There really isn't anything to hide when it comes to pricing. Everything is already online. Carl's store is selling them at MSRP. My store is discounting them only $500 and we are both sold out all the way through September. Other stores sold through their allocation selling them at invoice.

This is America. Sell it for as much as you can. Buy it for as little as you can :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
There really isn't anything to hide when it comes to pricing. Everything is already online. Carl's store is selling them at MSRP. My store is discounting them only $500 and we are both sold out all the way through September. Other stores sold through their allocation selling them at invoice.

This is America. Sell it for as much as you can. Buy it for as little as you can :)
I didn't mean to sound offensive - if I was, sincere apologies. I stated in previous posts that I respect you (and other Subaru employees) for selling them for whatever prices you see fit. If you can sell it at above MSRP, more power to you (no hating on my part). Similarly, I'm a regular non-employee customer, and will do what's best for me and will share info with others on this forum because that's what I believe is the purpose for this forum.

To be clear, I am very appreciative of the info you, Carl, and other employees have provided. I wish all of you huge personal sales success because you've certainly earned it by spending time to build relationships and sharing information on an internet forum - I'm sure it's not part of your regular responsibilities to do so.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Don't forget the rain sensing wipers and 120 volt outlet- only available on touring.
Quote vang0017
“ The only accessories missing on the limited trim are what is limit to the Touring such as chrome mirror/handle, woodgrain accent trim, ventilation seat, front camera and smart mirror... I can't justify 2.4K difference. “

Ok...here’s some more....remember smart mirror is a monitor for another rear view camera in addition to the standard rear camera on all models. This camera will be very helpful to those hauling large bulky items that block rear window vision. Then don’t forget interior ambient and footwell lighting, gloss black Touring front grille, upgraded leather heated steering wheel, leatherette dash surface, ivory carbon fiber finish plastic center dash trim with silver stitching, wood grain patterned center console trim, carpet floor mats with Touring logo. There may be more than listed above, but I can’t find it without very close examination and that won’t happen for awhile.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yeah, I'll admit, the Java Brown isn't my favorite interior color - but I do like the front camera, smart rearview camera, and after sweating in my car today, I would love having the ventilated seats.

Otherwise I was hoping from White Exterior/Black interior. But I think White / Brown would work, too.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I didn't mean to sound offensive - if I was, sincere apologies. I stated in previous posts that I respect you (and other Subaru employees) for selling them for whatever prices you see fit. If you can sell it at above MSRP, more power to you (no hating on my part). Similarly, I'm a regular non-employee customer, and will do what's best for me and will share info with others on this forum because that's what I believe is the purpose for this forum.

To be clear, I am very appreciative of the info you, Carl, and other employees have provided. I wish all of you huge personal sales success because you've certainly earned it by spending time to build relationships and sharing information on an internet forum - I'm sure it's not part of your regular responsibilities to do so.
You didn't and I hope I didn't either :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
If you can sell it at above MSRP, more power to you (no hating on my part).
Check the pricing out for an STI Type RA.

Some stores have sold them for MSRP. Ours has a little over an $8,000 market adjustment. I've seen them with up to a $25,000 market adjustment, with what seems like about an average of about $15,000 being the norm.

Subaru STI Type RA

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Check the pricing out for an STI Type RA.

Some stores have sold them for MSRP. Ours has a little over an $8,000 market adjustment. I've seen them with up to a $25,000 market adjustment, with what seems like about an average of about $15,000 being the norm.

Subaru STI Type RA
There was a post on my facebook group with a RA for $77K. OMG!!!

·
Registered
965 Posts
There was a post on my facebook group with a RA for $77K. OMG!!!
If you're in the OK Subies Facebook group, then yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. (Although I'm sure that picture has made the rounds .... )

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote vang0017
“ The only accessories missing on the limited trim are what is limit to the Touring such as chrome mirror/handle, woodgrain accent trim, ventilation seat, front camera and smart mirror... I can't justify 2.4K difference. “

Ok...here’s some more....remember smart mirror is a monitor for another rear view camera in addition to the standard rear camera on all models. This camera will be very helpful to those hauling large bulky items that block rear window vision. Then don’t forget interior ambient and footwell lighting, gloss black Touring front grille, upgraded leather heated steering wheel, leatherette dash surface, ivory carbon fiber finish plastic center dash trim with silver stitching, wood grain patterned center console trim, carpet floor mats with Touring logo. There may be more than listed above, but I can’t find it without very close examination and that won’t happen for awhile.
May I point to you that Ascent Limited has leather heated steering wheel? I checked both US and Canadian model and both versions of Limited has heated steering wheel.

·
Registered
224 Posts
May I point to you that Ascent Limited has leather heated steering wheel? I checked both US and Canadian model and both versions of Limited has heated steering wheel.
I believe the main point of the claim was the Upgraded heated steering wheel. The Touring model only has a higher quality leather used on the steering wheel. On the test drive I had yesterday, the wheel was very nice and noticeably higher quality material than the typical Subaru leather wrapped wheel.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts