Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I'm planning on purchasing the Limited model of the Ascent but I'd like to know thoughts on whether it makes sense to purchase with the Additional Feature/Technology Package. This includes the Multimedia Navigation rather than the standard Multi Media Plus. The difference for the package is around $2,000 and I'd rather not spend it since I really could care less about the moonroof and other options the Technology package comes with. My only concern is the Multi Media Plus version will feel outdated as it appears you have to sync with your phone? Any help on the differences between the two would be helpful. I did a comparison of the two descriptions on the Subaru site but would like some further input as the two descriptions seemed nearly the same.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Hi Everyone! I'm planning on purchasing the Limited model of the Ascent but I'd like to know thoughts on whether it makes sense to purchase with the Additional Feature/Technology Package. This includes the Multimedia Navigation rather than the standard Multi Media Plus. The difference for the package is around $2,000 and I'd rather not spend it since I really could care less about the moonroof and other options the Technology package comes with. My only concern is the Multi Media Plus version will feel outdated as it appears you have to sync with your phone? Any help on the differences between the two would be helpful. I did a comparison of the two descriptions on the Subaru site but would like some further input as the two descriptions seemed nearly the same.
The tech package includes navigation, pano moonroof, and Harmon Kardon sound system.

I personally got a Limited without that package. I'm not a fan of moonroofs and I use my phone for navigation with Android Auto.

I would have liked to get the sound system though, but I could get aftermarket stuff regardless or buy the parts and install myself.

The navigation does seem to have perks of it updating the time and weather (I think) as well as show speed limit signs. (which aren't always accurate)

·
Registered
39 Posts
This includes the Multimedia Navigation rather than the standard Multi Media Plus.
Android Auto has completely replaced any built-in navigation system for me. Which I'm a bit surprised about, but the technology is at a great point. With my phone connected and Android Auto on I don't have to press any button to start nav.

"Ok Google"

*ba-ding* (Google is in listen mode)

"Navigate me to the nearest Wendy's"

"Ok! Navigating to the nearest Wendy's".

And that's it. Nav is started on my Ascent's screen, Google gives me voice directions, and all that time I never had to touch a button or confirm anything on the phone. This has also worked incredibly well with receiving and sending text messages. As I've already paid for a smart phone it seems like a $3000 waste to get the upgraded tech just for the nav.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a Limited and specifically did not want any built in navigation that I had in 3 previous cars. Such are inferior to Apple or Google Maps or Waze. And I too dislike those sun roofs that I had in prior cars.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I got a Limited and specifically did not want any built in navigation that I had in 3 previous cars. Such are inferior to Apple or Google Maps or Waze. And I too dislike those sun roofs that I had in prior cars.
it's so interesting seeing others perspective. I explicitly wanted the Limited with #23 (navigation, sound upgrade, pano roof). I will likely NEVER use the built in but its nice to have. I will use AA exclusively

·
Registered
764 Posts
it's so interesting seeing others perspective. I explicitly wanted the Limited with #23 (navigation, sound upgrade, pano roof). I will likely NEVER use the built in but its nice to have. I will use AA exclusively

Same here. I wanted the 23 package for the Harman Kardan, the Sunroof was a take it or leave it (my kids absolutely love it now), but I probably won't ever use the built in nav although I've played with it a few times just to say I know how to do it.

But we've actually used the android auto far less than I thought we would. Maybe its because every time we drive it we have the kids in there with us and they like to watch movies on our tablet with sound coming out of the speakers. We just squish the tablet between the driver and passenger seat and its like a movie theater experience :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Same here. I wanted the 23 package for the Harman Kardan, the Sunroof was a take it or leave it (my kids absolutely love it now), but I probably won't ever use the built in nav although I've played with it a few times just to say I know how to do it.

But we've actually used the android auto far less than I thought we would. Maybe its because every time we drive it we have the kids in there with us and they like to watch movies on our tablet with sound coming out of the speakers. We just squish the tablet between the driver and passenger seat and its like a movie theater experience :)
I got a Chromebook last year that had 32GB of storage and can install Android apps and has tent/tablet mode. Not only does it make a cheap extra "tablet" at home, but for road trips I use a nylon strap with a buckle stretched between the front headrests and with the Chrombook folded in half backwards it hangs on the strap so they can see it nicely in the back. With Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Google Play video content downloaded to it there are a lot of options. The built in speakers are good, or Bluetooth to the head unit. Worked great in the Outback, I have the strap in place on the Ascent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.