Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Prices are all local ... when I punch in a Limited with the Tech Package it comes to MSRP $43,595. With your $39,493 ... that gets you about 9.4% off MSRP? YMMV

You are not going to get much better with VIP.
I’m in NJ. Per the salesman, MSRP is $43,664

·
Super Moderator
892 Posts
An excellent point by @packout. If we don't patronize our local dealerships, we'll be buying our cars sight unseen from Carvana and such and have them delivered like Amazon. That doesn't mean to let them grab you by your ankles and shake you upside down for every last cent, it just means be reasonable... something harder and harder to do in today's society, it seems...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
An excellent point by @packout. If we don't patronize our local dealerships, we'll be buying our cars sight unseen from Carvana and such and have them delivered like Amazon. That doesn't mean to let them grab you by your ankles and shake you upside down for every last cent, it just means be reasonable... something harder and harder to do in today's society, it seems...
I hope I’m not being unreasonable! This is my first time purchasing a new car (previously paid cash for both my vehicles on craigslist) so I don’t know anything about the process. Likewise, I want to make an informed purchase and make sure I’m getting the best deal I can.

·
Super Moderator
892 Posts
It's a very exciting time. My experience would be to suggest that you remain focused on the numbers and not let yourself become emotionally attached to the "deal"... I've made that mistake a few times. Getting better, but hopefully won't have to buy a new one anytime soon! :)

I suggest you watch a couple quick YT videos on the process, because after you agree to a sales price with a manger/salesperson, you will have to discuss the terms with the finance team, which will try to sell you some optional services. Some are good, some are not so good, it's all in your perceived value. The good thing about Subarus is that you can add things like an optional extra warranty anytime up until the factory one expires. I suggest you pass on anything like "wheel and rim" or "paint" protection and stuff like that unless you truly want it.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I hope I’m not being unreasonable! This is my first time purchasing a new car (previously paid cash for both my vehicles on craigslist) so I don’t know anything about the process. Likewise, I want to make an informed purchase and make sure I’m getting the best deal I can.
fun times! let me run you through some important items that you will be facing. I offer this info knowing nothing about your current knowledge or experience other than this is your first time at a dealership. Take it for what it is worth. Based on other posters experience you will not have to deal with the sleazy salespersons at Liberty. The fact is you still need to make some important decisions.

Financing: this is entirely separate from the sales price!!! Do not confuse the two. Negotiate the lowest sales price that works for you and then apply your financing.
If at all possible you should come to the dealership with your own financing if you can. this does not restrict you to using Subaru financing or some other financing but you will not be corralled into something that may not be most beneficial to you. Explore your bank, credit unions, Subaru financing for which details are available on-line). Note that certain financial incentives if not taken can be converted to cash discounts of the sales price. Recognize that if you finance a vehicle for a long term you will be upside down in what you owe to what the car is worth. Even if you do not finance long term you might consider gap insurance. Determine how much if any of a down payment you will be putting down prior to going into the dealership. The down payment simply comes off your bottom line of the sales price.

Trade in: This too is completely separate form the rest of the transaction. If you have a trade in you will always be able to sell your vehicle for more than the dealer will give you. There is a convenience of just handing over your car and title to the dealer but just recognize that it is at a cost to you. Also recognize that the price they may offer you for your car has zero relationship to the sales price for the Ascent. If you sell them your car (separate transaction) they will simply apply the dollar amount they owe you to reduce the cost of the Ascent (just like a cash down payment that you may bring to the transaction).

Finance office offers: This is when you will be offered all types of addition "toppings" for your vehicle. this will include items such as:
  1. gap insurance
  2. glass insurance
  3. interior protection insurance
  4. undercoating
  5. items such as mats and other miscellaneous items
  6. Security programs
  7. paintless dent repair insurance
  8. extended warranty
Can anyone else recall any other items they were offered?

1. Gap insurance is not bad, just consider your options for purchasing it if in fact it is something you want.
  2. Glass insurance - your Subaru is warrantied for 3 year 36,000 miles which ever comes first. This will cover any defective glass. It will not cover glass breakage from the baseball that flies into the Ascent from your neighbor's kid. Other owners have had to replace their moonroof or panoroof but it was covered under warranty. Most cracks on the windshield itslef will not be covered by the original warranty since they will not be a defect. The windshield must be replaced with OEM and when done Eyesight must be recalibrated. If you get a small crack one day get it filled right away by a reputable glass company (most insurance policies)_ cover this service without any deductible. The windshield replacement is not cheap and the eyesight calibration on its own is about $250. Your choices for recalibration include the dealership, Novus or Safelight. As I noted in a prior post to you contact your auto insurance agent to learn how they handle the windshield replacement in your policy. While there are general approaches each policy is different. I have had dealerships lie to me about auto insurance coverage for the windshield but I already did my homework so I just noted their approach and ignored their content.
  3. The interior leather cleans up well. I have the blue Ascent Limited with white interior. Basic interior auto wipes from auto zone work fine. I carry in the car a seat cover for those times I am filthy. They work well wehn the need arises. They can then easily be machine washed.
  4. Undercoating can be useful and some posters have either paid for it or completed the work themselves depending on their conditions they drive in and their skill set. You know where you live and the issues surrounding this decision.
  5. You already know the benefits of all weather mats. There are differences of quality of these mats as well as their fit. In the forum you can read robust advocacy for one winter/med mat or another (same for mud flaps). Read them at your leisure ahead of your appointment.
  6. You will be given Starlink for free for a trial period. I use this service and extended my contract. I have Security plus so I do not subscribe to concierge. I use its features it often. You can check with your insurance company to see if you can get a discount since Starlink can locate your vehicle.
  7. paintless dent repair is just what you might think it is. Depending on where you drive you may be ripe for lots of dents that can be corrected through paint-less dent repair. It works well for those dents within its service parameters and when it can not be employed you will need to get the repair done and then paint it. there are numerous offerings from different companies on this service. A small dent-less repair can be $50. The policy will not generally cover a full on roof hail damage claim. that is what you have auto insurance for.
  8. IMO never buy a third party extended warranty for an auto. Subaru extended warranty is a great product if you desire at all to go down that road. You will need to choose the term of the policy (years and mileage). You can buy this later as long as it is prior to the end of the original warranty. I have 30,000 miles on my 2019 and I just bought my extended warranty. I shopped around calling different dealers and saved thousands between the lowest quote and highest. The policy is more robust than the original warranty and ovelaps in time and mileage. You will need to decide if this is your cup of tea or not. Some like to purchase this product at the time of the original sale so they can role it into the larger auto loan. You can cancel the extended warranty and receive a prorated amount back but of course if it is in your monthly loan payment that will not change.

Auto salesman videos below to get you primed.

If you enjoy long reads you will enjoy the Ascent manual. Think Tolstoy's WAR and Peace.

oh yeah. The glove box. Tolstoy takes up most of the space.

·
Registered
838 Posts
To find out the invoice price you can use KBB or Edmunds. You pick your car and options and it will tell you MSRP and invoice.

·
Super Moderator
892 Posts
Also for reference, if you are trading in, here's some things to consider:

1. In NJ, you can deduct the cost of the trade from the new sales price. This saves you 6.625% NJ sales tax on whatever your trade is.

Example: Trade your car in for $10,000? You save $662.50.

2. That being said, consider something like Carvana for reference. They actually offered me about $2000 MORE than my lease buyout was worth. So, if I wanted to sell today, I would walk away with $2000 in my pocket. And no lease, so I'd have to walk around a bit.

3. You can weigh the Carvana or third-party price vs. the amount the dealer is giving you. Unless your car is relatively new or in outstanding condition, it's going out to auction.,

For reference: I traded in my 2011 Outback Limited 2.5 for around the mid 8's. It did have quite a bit of cosmetic damage and a few dents. This was in the range that I expected because of Kelley Blue Book valuation range. I stalk the VIN's of my old Subies, and found it was sold for $11,500 in NY somewhere. So, between the dealer and the auction and the used car dealership that found it, there was a potential for $3k. This doesn't mean my dealership got that much, hardly... it means that if they reconditioned it and detailed it and maybe did some things (it did need a timing belt job, new brakes/rotors, and tires, after all) they were able to get a little for it. Which I think is fair.

4. Go to the dealership with your own financing ready to go, but be willing to work with them. I'd already secured my own financing for my wife's car, when I found out that the Honda dealership would have matched us or came pretty darn close. I would have preferred that compared to all the running around I did for the bank check.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,171 Posts
Dan’s deal is going to be very competitive and more importantly, he has a reputation for good customer service as part of the process...

·
Registered
12 Posts
my 2020 limited with tech was at $39,800 before taxes. and i purchased from World Subaru in Tinton falls. I had a bad experience with Liberty but that was probably because of the sales person i was dealing with 8 years ago. I"ve since purchased vehicles from cherry hill and world. both great experiences.

If you are financing, i believe you are only getting 1.9% apr for finance depending on your credit, whereas you could get 0% for 63 months if you find a 2020 model. Not sure what monthly you are trying to get but i was really going for the 0 interest when doing my search considering there was no real difference between the the 2020 vs the 2021.

World Subaru has a Red Subaru Ascent 2020 if you are interested. David Garro-URena helped me and if you reference my name, i'm sure he'll give you a great deal!

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Turing Brilliant Bronze (Soon)
39 Posts
There are some good deals to be had on the '20s.

Having the LED Steering Responsive Headlights on my Outback '18 ... for me ... getting a '21 Ascent almost makes it worth it for that fact alone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
the 2020 Limited has the LED steeding response headlights so no difference there between the 20 and 21. i think the premium trim for 2021 finally got the LED steering lights tho and that was a major change for the premium only

·
Super Moderator
892 Posts
Auto Lane Centering is where it's at, if the 21's come with that... I haven't really been keeping up with the 2021 changes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
$41k out the door with tax, title, everything, for what you're wanting, is pretty normal. there might be some places I'll go a couple Grand lower but I wouldn't count on it. and don't listen to these people telling you that they know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who only paid 35k

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Okay everyone! I completed the purchase order for a 2021 brilliant bronze Limited with the technology package, auto dimming exterior mirrors, all weather floor mats, and rear bumper guard today with Dan from Liberty Subaru. Now I just have to get through these next 8-10 weeks! Thanks for all your help!!!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Okay everyone! I completed the purchase order for a 2021 brilliant bronze Limited with the technology package, auto dimming exterior mirrors, all weather floor mats, and rear bumper guard today with Dan from Liberty Subaru. Now I just have to get through these next 8-10 weeks! Thanks for all your help!!!
photos please when you get a chance. that Bronze sounds interesting. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,171 Posts
Congratulations! And I'm glad that our forum sponsor could help you out, too!

Reactions: Idaho Oak
41 - 57 of 57 Posts