Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
$500 is only $8-11 per month , some time if you spend over 1 week looking for a car $500 is just not worth it

·
Registered
533 Posts
$500 over 63 month of finance is under $8 on the payment..

and in addition car Depreciation is $40-100 per week too just for seating on a lot ...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
$500 over 63 month of finance is under $8 on the payment..

and in addition car Depreciation is $40-100 per week too just for seating on a lot ...
I hope I'm not coming off as rude, I'm just confused lol. Why are you mentioning $500? Are you saying the VIP program is not worth it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Talk to my friend Dan Meola at @Liberty Subaru and see what they can work out.
Okay so he was able to offer me $39,493 selling price which would be $42,538.08 OTD. I've sent this to another dealership to see if they can beat it. If not, is this a good deal? It would be a custom order because they do not have any on their lot.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Turing Brilliant Bronze (Soon)
39 Posts
Go to Subaru.com and "build" what you ordered with all the options you ordered. That would get you MSRP. I guess from there you can determine if you got a good deal or not.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi all! I’ve been shopping around for an ascent for about a week but haven’t found anyone willing to give me the price I want. I’m trying to get as close to (or below) invoice as possible. I’m looking for a New 2020 or 2021 limited with the moonroof package. So far the two dealerships I’ve been to (in PA) have both asked for $40+k. Anyone have recs for good dealerships willing to negotiate or any tips for going through this process? This will be my first new car & purchase from a dealership, as my last cars $44,468bought with cash outright from private sellers. It’s a big purchase and I want to get the best deal possible. Thanks in advance!!
We bought our 2020 Ascent Limited 7 passenger with moonroof package and some other options in September 2019. The MSRP was $44,468. The dealer offered the vehicle we wanted to order in the color combination (MSRP $44,468) with a $4k discount. They tried to get it sooner, but were unable to get it by the date we wanted, so they offered one similar (just different color leather seating), same MSRP at an additional $1k more than the $4k, so a total of $5k off MSRP.
Dealer is in Little Rock, AR, so quite a ways away from you.

·
Super Moderator
892 Posts
I had a good experience at Liberty also. They aren’t the closest dealership to me, but I prefer them for sales and service.

·
Super Moderator
892 Posts
Well, there is little you can do about tax or documentation fees or the state fees like DMV and tire fees. They are what they are.

The number you posted is just a number to me. I don’t know what options or packages are included. If you aren’t in a hurry, you could place a factory order for a new 2021 and get exactly what you want down to options and accessories. Likewise when you do a factory order you don’t have to pay the dealer’s labor fee as many of them are installed after manufacture (port install option)...

You could look around on the internet a little bit and try to find MSRP costs for everything as optioned. If you think you are getting a good deal or fair deal, then you make the call.

It’s not about winning or losing here, it’s about a fair number. I personally know I didn’t get the best deal but I know I got a fair deal and I am happy with that. Researching and asking around about the best offer typically made me upset in the long run if someone got a considerably better price than I did, so I stopped being so cutthroat with my research.

I did lease/purchase through the VIP program as a Leave No Trace partner. I could have done better if I shopped around and haggled but I decided it was easier to just do VIP. And it was the easiest car buying / leasing experience I have ever done.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I didn't see ant tow package. The OEM tow hitch is a great option if you are ever considering towing anything. Port or dealer installed.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I hope I'm not coming off as rude, I'm just confused lol. Why are you mentioning $500? Are you saying the VIP program is not worth it?
comment was not directed at you , more of FYI ... , but yes week + of search it is too much effort to save $500-700 %2 under invoice VIP etc ...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well, there is little you can do about tax or documentation fees or the state fees like DMV and tire fees. They are what they are.

The number you posted is just a number to me. I don’t know what options or packages are included. If you aren’t in a hurry, you could place a factory order for a new 2021 and get exactly what you want down to options and accessories. Likewise when you do a factory order you don’t have to pay the dealer’s labor fee as many of them are installed after manufacture (port install option)...

You could look around on the internet a little bit and try to find MSRP costs for everything as optioned. If you think you are getting a good deal or fair deal, then you make the call.

It’s not about winning or losing here, it’s about a fair number. I personally know I didn’t get the best deal but I know I got a fair deal and I am happy with that. Researching and asking around about the best offer typically made me upset in the long run if someone got a considerably better price than I did, so I stopped being so cutthroat with my research.

I did lease/purchase through the VIP program as a Leave No Trace partner. I could have done better if I shopped around and haggled but I decided it was easier to just do VIP. And it was the easiest car buying / leasing experience I have ever done.
so the quote I got was for a custom order 2021 Limited with the technology package, so moonroof, sound system, nav system. We didn’t talk specific details on any other specs but I don’t really care about anything else if I’m being honest, although extras are always nice. He said at the end of the day it was like $200 over invoice or something

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
so the quote I got was for a custom order 2021 Limited with the technology package, so moonroof, sound system, nav system. We didn’t talk specific details on any other specs but I don’t really care about anything else if I’m being honest, although extras are always nice. He said at the end of the day it was like $200 over invoice or something
Well there is invoice and real invoice to consider, but ultimately consideration of value is for those making the deal.

·
Super Moderator
892 Posts
In my opinion that is fair. While selling at or around invoice generally still makes a profit for the dealer, consider you’re also pretty close to where VIP people get at invoice. If you really want to haggle, I would suggest seeing if you could get the hitch included or discounted as well. Maybe some other options, like a front plate bracket or things like that

If you’re planning to use them for service, they include the first oil change for free also.

But at the end of the day you’re pretty close to the ballpark where I say “Good enough.” All the time and such that you have invested towards this to go to another dealer to save what, $100? Your time could be worth more. I wouldn’t want to burn a vacation day at work to spend the day driving around haggling over a couple of bucks here and there. Again, just my opinion.

Good luck, the Ascent is an excellent vehicle with tons of space and technology. Maintain it on time and it should serve you reliable for years and years.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
What do you think the difference usually is between the two? Hundreds? Thousands?
There are plenty of articles on the internet covering the issue of how dealers earn their money above and beyond invoice such as manufacturer paying them on their quarterly orders. It can amount to a thousand but we must also realize they need some profit to remain in business. If you are not ordering anything else such as interior or exterior "insurance" or most any other finance department add on their areas to make profit are reduced. Even gap insurance can be shopped around for the best price. My only other suggestion is to be prepared going into finance so you need not be making the decisions under any pressure or anxiety to get it over with. Know your add on that you want and shop for the best price. I am not talking about auto accessories or physical add on packages that you have already mentioned. Find out how your current auto insurance handles winshield replacements for subaru and eyesight. My insurance covers oem and euesight recalibration under comprehensive with my deductible. Other insurance companies require a rider but make sure in writting it covers the recalibration.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Turing Brilliant Bronze (Soon)
39 Posts
Prices are all local ... when I punch in a Limited with the Tech Package it comes to MSRP $43,595. With your $39,493 ... that gets you about 9.4% off MSRP? YMMV

You are not going to get much better with VIP.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts