Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! I’ve been shopping around for an ascent for about a week but haven’t found anyone willing to give me the price I want. I’m trying to get as close to (or below) invoice as possible. I’m looking for a New 2020 or 2021 limited with the moonroof package. So far the two dealerships I’ve been to (in PA) have both asked for $40+k. Anyone have recs for good dealerships willing to negotiate or any tips for going through this process? This will be my first new car & purchase from a dealership, as my last cars were bought with cash outright from private sellers. It’s a big purchase and I want to get the best deal possible. Thanks in advance!!

EDIT: Best offer I’ve received so far is $39,493 Selling price and $42,538 total OTD for a 2021 Limited with technology package, custom ordered. Thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VIP can get you 2% below invoice.
I’m wondering if I can get somewhere near that without spending $500 lol. According to my math the 2% is only around $700 off, but considering I would have spent $500 for that discount it would really only be like $200 savings.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Turing Brilliant Bronze (Soon)
38 Posts
It really depends on your area. I have 2 dealerships in my area and I can get them to barely go below MSRP. With Subaru having one of the the lowest car lot inventories it might be hard to get folks to budge much. Bigger cities with more competition maybe??? You do read about folks getting screaming deals without VIP or any other program so it is possible. I don’t have that talent - maybe you do :) For me VIP got me about 10% below MSRP. If you can already get folks to around invoice though then I see your dilemma with VIP.

If you have had Subaru’s prior you may be able to get a Loyalty coupon - $500 range. Combine that with any deal you get???

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I’m wondering if I can get somewhere near that without spending $500 lol. According to my math the 2% is only around $700 off, but considering I would have spent $500 for that discount it would really only be like $200 savings.
Liberty Subaru is the highest rated dealer in NJ according to dealerrater.com and highly recommended for sales and service. This forum posters regularly have great experience with them. I"m in CO so I ordered elsewhere, but try them.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Many of us had the same problem when the Ascent came out they were hard to find and supply could not keep up with demand. And once again supply is low because of the COVID shutdowns. It may be worse now because supply for the whole auto industry is down.

Dealers in my area were wanting full MSRP when I bought my Ascent. So I went the VIP route and it saved me more than just the 700-800 off invoice it also saved me the difference between MSRP and the invoice cost and I got part of the $500 back as a tax deduction.

There are also other car buying services like Costco that may help you get the price down.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
272 Posts
If you have a Costco membership, get a quote from one of their dealers. I had 2 local dealers to choose from then the dealer I preferred went lower by not using the Costco program.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Reach out to Chris Wesner at Steve Moyer Subaru. I got my Ascent limited for Aniston $5,500 off msrp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reach out to Chris Wesner at Steve Moyer Subaru. I got my Ascent limited for Aniston $5,500 off msrp.
What did you end up paying if you don’t mind my asking? Seems like MSRP varies a good deal even within trims. I’m gonna reach out to a few dealers today so I’ll put that on my list

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Liberty Subaru is the highest rated dealer in NJ according to dealerrater.com and highly recommended for sales and service. This forum posters regularly have great experience with them. I"m in CO so I ordered elsewhere, but try them.
I’ve seen other people on the forum talking about Liberty as well regarding employee pricing but it was a few years ago so I wasn’t sure if that was still a thing lol. I’ll reach out today though, thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,145 Posts
I’ve seen other people on the forum talking about Liberty as well regarding employee pricing but it was a few years ago so I wasn’t sure if that was still a thing lol. I’ll reach out today though, thanks!
Contact Dan using the information in the vendor section. He’s the go to at Liberty who is a forum sponsor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many of us had the same problem when the Ascent came out they were hard to find and supply could not keep up with demand. And once again supply is low because of the COVID shutdowns. It may be worse now because supply for the whole auto industry is down.

Dealers in my area were wanting full MSRP when I bought my Ascent. So I went the VIP route and it saved me more than just the 700-800 off invoice it also saved me the difference between MSRP and the invoice cost and I got part of the $500 back as a tax deduction.

There are also other car buying services like Costco that may help you get the price down.
Yes I’m also running into the issue where no dealer has the 2020 or even 21 limited 7 passenger with the moon roof package. I’m trying to avoid ordering one since being a one vehicle family is such a hassle but if I have to go the VIP route I honestly might.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sorry my numbers were slightly off. See below deal from Steve Moyer Subaru

2020 Ascent Limited package 21 with no accessories.

MSRP: $40,355
Discount: -$4,668 (11.5% off MSRP)
Sale Price: $35,687

I was also able to apply a Subaru Ambassador coupon for an additional $500 off make the total $36,187, but your YMMV on being able to obtain one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry my numbers were slightly off. See below deal from Steve Moyer Subaru

2020 Ascent Limited package 21 with no accessories.

MSRP: $40,355
Discount: -$4,668 (11.5% off MSRP)
Sale Price: $35,687

I was also able to apply a Subaru Ambassador coupon for an additional $500 off make the total $36,187, but your YMMV on being able to obtain one.
I’ve never owned a Subaru before so I’m not sure I could get that coupon lol but thanks! Seeing the breakdown helps.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I pre-ordered my limited through a broker and got a much better price than going direct through the same dealer they used.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
What do you mean a broker? Sorry I’m new to the buying process lol
What do you mean a broker? Sorry I’m new to the buying process lol

I was able to view and test drive five different autos (from four different manufacturers) at one location on one day. These brokers can deal with any manufacturer. They get wholesale prices from the dealer and can pass on not only savings but significant convenience. After the test drives which I extended into multiple days. I decided exactly what car and options I wanted. I then get a fixed quote from them, one other broker and three dealers. Since I pre-ordered they all were bidding on the exact same vehicle. I got exactly what I wanted and saved $. You can still bring your own financing, use theirs or Subaru. Brokers deal with more than one dealer from the same manufacturer as well as across manufacturers. They can also find you a vehicle from a dealer lot but of course then comparisons get trickier.

·
Administrator
7,778 Posts
Hi all! I’ve been shopping around for an ascent for about a week but haven’t found anyone willing to give me the price I want. I’m trying to get as close to (or below) invoice as possible. I’m looking for a New 2020 or 2021 limited with the moonroof package. So far the two dealerships I’ve been to (in PA) have both asked for $40+k. Anyone have recs for good dealerships willing to negotiate or any tips for going through this process? This will be my first new car & purchase from a dealership, as my last cars were bought with cash outright from private sellers. It’s a big purchase and I want to get the best deal possible. Thanks in advance!!
Talk to my friend Dan Meola at @Liberty Subaru and see what they can work out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got my 2020 touring from Andrew at Serramonte Subaru in Colma, CA for $39817. It was over $7k off MSRP. You would have to drive it (dealer policy) but maybe they would make an exception during COVID.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts