Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we purchased our Ascent the rear liftgate was crooked, or way of center. Big body gap on one side, and the other you couldn't get a piece of paper in the gap. After multiple visits, and having to be a total pain to the service writer, they finally adjusted it. Since then, it has been in the shop at least 7 times. Often the liftgate will not open by pushing the button on the dash. Sometimes it will open part way, then stop, with the "alarm" sound going off. A few times it has locked in the closed position, and would not open at all, and the alarm wouldn't turn off. Yes, I literally drove around with the alarm sounding non-stop, till I could get it to the dealership. I recently learned that you can reset it by removing the positive battery cable, and touching it to the ground.
In some form or fashion it doesn't work as it should at least once every 3 to 4 days. The dealer has replaced the latch, the control unit, and has held onto the car for several days. They say there is nothing wrong and they cannot replicate.
The Memory liftgate button is not engaged, and I have never used it.
Anyone else have troubles with their liftgate acting like this?
Thank you

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Lots to unpack, but ultimately sorry it is such a hassle. There are specific steps to take in order to use the inside button to open the lift gate. The manual will tell all on this, if you have not already read this part. If you do not follow this and when a problem occurs, trying anything but a specific protocol, can make it worse. Some owners found that their knee accidentally hit (without their knowledge) the gate height memory setting button near that same location. Others still find that they hit the lift button on the remote when it is in their pocket, which is why many including myself purchased a cover for it (see prior posts on this topic). The dealer would have to be a fool to think that you are making it up or enjoy coming in so often for this issue, so they really should make it a priority to help you figure out why this is occuring (even if there is nothing mechanically or electronically wrong). My only suggestion is to document each SLOW step taken to open or close the gate. Pay extra attention to the remote and the memory button. Take detailed notes in order to help pin down why this is occurring. If you think it would help, video record the event. If the gate is not misaligned there should be nothing inteferring with the opening or closing of the gate. I wonder if the latch may be misaligned and the gate touches it but then lifts up because it can not go further and reads it as an obstacle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots to unpack, but ultimately sorry it is such a hassle. There are specific steps to take in order to use the inside button to open the lift gate. The manual will tell all on this, if you have not already read this part. If you do not follow this and when a problem occurs, trying anything but a specific protocol, can make it worse. Some owners found that their knee accidentally hit (without their knowledge) the gate height memory setting button near that same location. Others still find that they hit the lift button on the remote when it is in their pocket, which is why many including myself purchased a cover for it (see prior posts on this topic). The dealer would have to be a fool to think that you are making it up or enjoy coming in so often for this issue, so they really should make it a priority to help you figure out why this is occuring (even if there is nothing mechanically or electronically wrong). My only suggestion is to document each SLOW step taken to open or close the gate. Pay extra attention to the remote and the memory button. Take detailed notes in order to help pin down why this is occurring. If you think it would help, video record the event. If the gate is not misaligned there should be nothing inteferring with the opening or closing of the gate. I wonder if the latch may be misaligned and the gate touches it but then lifts up because it can not go further and reads it as an obstacle.
Thank you for this very well written reply. I read the manuals about the liftgate a while ago trying to sort this out. Maybe there is more information I didn't find? Today I pulled into my driveway, put the car in park, turned off the car, pushed the dash button to open the hatch, it opened 1 inch, then beeped and stopped. I exited the car, and pressed the button above the license plate, and it opened fine.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Thank you for this very well written reply. I read the manuals about the liftgate a while ago trying to sort this out. Maybe there is more information I didn't find? Today I pulled into my driveway, put the car in park, turned off the car, pushed the dash button to open the hatch, it opened 1 inch, then beeped and stopped. I exited the car, and pressed the button above the license plate, and it opened fine.
It is sounding more and more that it involves the re-install of the hatch due to misalignment. Mostly a gut feeling on my part. I suggest you monitor it further and then with those additional data points discuss with dealer and SOA. I recall my wife being very frustrated with me not opening the hatch while she waited by it. I was inside pressing away and not knowing why it was not opening (I had not bothered to research the protocol - simply expecting to be able to press a button to get the job done - other than when the vehicle is moving). But no, I need to read a "War and Peace" size manual to figure out what I just spent near $40 grand on. Recently for some unknown reason my tire pressure readout converted from psi to kPa. It took me three days to get around to figuring out how to change it back as I cycled through the various menus. What can I say, it is a love/hate relationship. Don't get me started on the android auto gremlins. Lately, thankfully, they have stayed still.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
When we purchased our Ascent the rear liftgate was crooked, or way of center. Big body gap on one side, and the other you couldn't get a piece of paper in the gap. After multiple visits, and having to be a total pain to the service writer, they finally adjusted it. Since then, it has been in the shop at least 7 times. Often the liftgate will not open by pushing the button on the dash. Sometimes it will open part way, then stop, with the "alarm" sound going off. A few times it has locked in the closed position, and would not open at all, and the alarm wouldn't turn off. Yes, I literally drove around with the alarm sounding non-stop, till I could get it to the dealership. I recently learned that you can reset it by removing the positive battery cable, and touching it to the ground.
In some form or fashion it doesn't work as it should at least once every 3 to 4 days. The dealer has replaced the latch, the control unit, and has held onto the car for several days. They say there is nothing wrong and they cannot replicate.
The Memory liftgate button is not engaged, and I have never used it.
Anyone else have troubles with their liftgate acting like this?
Thank you
just noticed this online "We picked up the Ascent in January and attempted to throw the new plates in the back—the old ones had expired. The rear hatch would not open. So the car went right back to the service bay where a tech shut down the battery and rebooted the car, which reset the liftgate height. " wondering if a reboot might help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts