Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased a Napier SUV tent that is designed to cover the liftgate and give us more shelter. We built out a sleeping platform in our Ascent and went camping. Unfortunately, the liftgate notification icon on the dashboard remained illuminated and we drained the battery. Does anyone have a workaround for this design flaw?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
We purchased a Napier SUV tent that is designed to cover the liftgate and give us more shelter. We built out a sleeping platform in our Ascent and went camping. Unfortunately, the liftgate notification icon on the dashboard remained illuminated and we drained the battery. Does anyone have a workaround for this design flaw?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
There is this method that I've used: Open the TG. Use a small carabiner or similar and push it into the hatch latch until it clicks closed on it. Manually lower the hatch almost all the way until your hear the latch motor run for a second or two. Lift the hatch open and you're good to go. The 3+Amp TG open drain goes away.

To close the TG, push the TG button on the remote and pull the carabiner out opening the latch on the door after the beeps. Close the hatch manually all the way and it will latch.

There's a recent TSB to replace the TG control module but I haven't yet seen it reliably tested by an owner to show if it resolves the issue.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
@William's situation is exactly why Subaru should address the problem. I know it's been discussed at length in multiple threads and I'm probably beating a dead horse. New owners shouldn't have to come to a forum to find workarounds for a new vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts