Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used Casita and the liftgate is hitting the trailer jack. Has anyone experienced this problem and how did they solve it? Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well, I was hoping for a pic of the whole setup. Guess I should've specified. Lol.

The OEM ball mount has a 6 inch drop so your choice of ball mount could be the issue. Is the trailer sitting level when hitched up? I suspect it would be nose up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I was hoping for a pic of the whole setup. Guess I should've specified. Lol.

The OEM ball mount has a 6 inch drop so your choice of ball mount could be the issue. Is the trailer sitting level when hitched up? I suspect it would be nose up.
Sorry. I'll attach a photo of the set up the next time I hook the trailer up. The trailer did sit level when hooked up.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I just purchased a used Casita and the liftgate is hitting the trailer jack. Has anyone experienced this problem and how did they solve it? Thanks in advance for your help!
You could use a longer ball mount extension to push the Casita further away from the vehicle. Or you might get an extension for the tongue and move the jack further back on the tongue of the Casita.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,120 Posts
You could use a longer ball mount extension to push the Casita further away from the vehicle. Or you might get an extension for the tongue and move the jack further back on the tongue of the Casita.
While both of these options would accomplish the same end, extending the tongue of the trailer would be preferable to a ball mount extension. The ball should always be as close to the tow vehicle's rear axle as practical best for handling and weight distribution.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,883 Posts
I agree with Titan'...a longer ball mount isn't the best idea, because even an inch changes the weight balance on the tow vehicle. I suspect that the trailer jack may be installed too far forward. if it's bolt-on with clamps, try and move it. If it's welded on...tougher row to hoe. If the hatch is hitting the handle only, then things may be positioned incorrectly. So yea...a photo that shows the setup would be greatly helpful in understanding the problem.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
71 Posts
So I think I get what you're saying.. The life gate cannot open when the trailer is attached?

Sadly that is a point of life you will have to live with since you are towing with a small SUV. My lift gate is no where near being able to open with any trailer I have towed except for the Uhaul ones which have the jack lower.

Do not keep extending your ball as that can be very dangerous..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for all the recommendations. During the discussions, I contacted eTrailer.com and after discussing the situation with one of their technical experts, he suggested that a longer ball mount would be the best solution to attempt. The one he suggested would not degrade the hitch towing capacity and is more that sufficient for the Casita trailer weight and hitch weight. It should be here within the next week and I'll post the results. Again thanks for all the comments.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Thanks to all for all the recommendations. During the discussions, I contacted eTrailer.com and after discussing the situation with one of their technical experts, he suggested that a longer ball mount would be the best solution to attempt. The one he suggested would not degrade the hitch towing capacity and is more that sufficient for the Casita trailer weight and hitch weight. It should be here within the next week and I'll post the results. Again thanks for all the comments.
He's not correct. Please don't keep extending the ball mount to solve the issue.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,883 Posts
Nope. A longer ball mount absolutely affects how the weight is transferred to the tow vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,120 Posts
@Kshack5505 : you came here for advice and have gotten the correct answer multiple times above.

Just because the longer ball mount has a Class III or higher rating doesn't make it the correct solution. Cancel the order or return it when it arrives. You were talking to a call center representative, not an Ascent owner, probably not even someone who tows a trailer.

Trailer towing is inherently risky. Don't make it riskier by moving the ball further away from the rear axle. Not only are you applying more torsional stress to the hitch and tow vehicle, you're introducing instability.

Know why 5th wheels and semis place the pin directly over the rear axle? Stability. It's a matter of mechanics and physics. The closer the pivot point is to the rear axle the more stable; the further away, the less stable.

Subaru's 6" drop ball mount places the ball just an inch of so out from the receiver. I needed a 4" drop for my trailer and had my ball mount shortened and a new pin hole drilled to pull the ball as close to the receiver as possible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
@Kshack5505 : you came here for advice and have gotten the correct answer multiple times above.

Just because the longer ball mount has a Class III or higher rating doesn't make it the correct solution. Cancel the order or return it when it arrives. You were talking to a call center representative, not an Ascent owner, probably not even someone who tows a trailer.

Trailer towing is inherently risky. Don't make it riskier by moving the ball further away from the rear axle. Not only are you applying more torsional stress to the hitch and tow vehicle, you're introducing instability.

Know why 5th wheels and semis place the pin directly over the rear axle? Stability. It's a matter of mechanics and physics. The closer the pivot point is to the rear axle the more stable; the further away, the less stable.

Subaru's 6" drop ball mount places the ball just an inch of so out from the receiver. I needed a 4" drop for my trailer and had my ball mount shortened and a new pin hole drilled to pull the ball as close to the receiver as possible.
We get our trailer next week and I am waiting to measure the height before buying the ball mount. I don’t want it too far of a nose down when towing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We get our trailer next week and I am waiting to measure the height before buying the ball mount. I don’t want it too far of a nose down when towing.
Most of the trailers I have towed I needed a rise. Forgot the rise on this one but this is what I pull my Apex Nano 208BHS with. I think it’s close to a 2 in rise. My trailer sits perfectly level with this setup as well.

Please just realize you cannot keep extending the ball though..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Most of the trailers I have towed I needed a rise. Forgot the rise on this one but this is what I pull my Apex Nano 208BHS with. I think it’s close to a 2 in rise. My trailer sits perfectly level with this setup as well.

Please just realize you cannot keep extending the ball though..

View attachment 6901
I understand I can’t extend the ball. Part of why I’m waiting until we actually get our trailer before buying a ball mount.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts