Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ascent has a LP Adventure lift with 265/50/20s and started making an in consistent wining noise that seems to appear o my when the car is warmed up and at turning speeds about to 5-45mph. Both the dealership and the custom shop the dealership used to install the lift can’t figure it out. Any suggestions? iCloud

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Both the dealership and the custom shop the dealership used to install the lift can’t figure it out. Any suggestions? iCloud
If both of these shops had physical access to your vehicle and couldn't figure it out, it's unlikely any of us will be able to offer much additional guidance.

That said, if your suspension shop hasn't reached out to LP for technical support, I'd find a new shop.

This whole thing sounds terrible, and I'm not even talking about the noise from the vehicle.

Sorry bud. Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@justmatt

Thanks. It hasn’t been a frequent thing and I can’t figure out exactly the pattern of why and how it starts.

When I took it in, both the dealer and shop went through it and couldn’t locate a noise. So it seemed to “go away” after I dropped it off. I also needed some trim redone that was wrapped in vinyl so they redid that and when I picked it up, they said they couldn’t hear anything but still both shops inspected and ensured everything was installed properly and tight. So I drove it around and couldn’t hear anything either before heading back on my 2hr journey home. The noise started again once I got home and that’s when I took the video to capture what I’ve been hearing intermittently. I sent the video to the dealer right away and they acknowledged the sound and that it wasn’t normal. They assured me that family is safe in the car and to schedule another appt and bring it back. I’m making the appt, but was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this so I can try and help point my dealer and shop in the right direction.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent
13 Posts
First , what year vehicle is it? how many miles ? When you where driving home on that 2 hr trip, was it highway or mixed highway/city or country road ? Does it happen only turning one way or both ways ? Is it louder at lower speeds ?

Carl

·
Registered
2021 Ascent
13 Posts
I ask these questions because it sounds like you have a caliper hanging up OR one or more of the brake pads are sticking in the pad bracket. Do you live in the snow belt area (Northern winter regions). I hear and see this issue a lot of times living in the northeast and working on vehicles for a living.

Carl

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
110 Posts
Check your tire pressures. My wife's Subaru XV had one out of four that was way too low, and you can hear the drivetrain complain when at speed.

Maybe you need a wheel alignment check as well after making all those changes if you haven't done so.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
I ask these questions because it sounds like you have a caliper hanging up OR one or more of the brake pads are sticking in the pad bracket.
On the same thought train about brakes, it does sound similar to a noise my other car made after I bent a brake dust guard on a rear wheel. It was rubbing but only sometimes. The more it rubbed the worse it got until it sat to cool off. Just a thought

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
@Jwell please tell me which lift you used. Most likely, it's a hangar bearing or CV joint, if it's lift related. How much of a rear subframe drop do you have in your lift? Are any of your CV boots torn or leaking?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First , what year vehicle is it? how many miles ? When you where driving home on that 2 hr trip, was it highway or mixed highway/city or country road ? Does it happen only turning one way or both ways ? Is it louder at lower speeds ?

Carl
It’s 2020. 18k miles.
Trip back: It was mostly highway until the last 30 miles, which are windy. I only noticed (or it started back up) once I was turning into my neighborhood at about 5mph. It’s always the same loudness, but it’s more frequent at lower speeds and as the car gets warmed up. Happens during left and right hand turns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the same thought train about brakes, it does sound similar to a noise my other car made after I bent a brake dust guard on a rear wheel. It was rubbing but only sometimes. The more it rubbed the worse it got until it sat to cool off. Just a thought
That is interesting and def worth investigating when I take the car back in. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Jwell please tell me which lift you used. Most likely, it's a hangar bearing or CV joint, if it's lift related. How much of a rear subframe drop do you have in your lift? Are any of your CV boots torn or leaking?
I used the LP Adventure kit. Not sure much more than that. CV boots look great.

Best way I can describe the noise and how it’s acting is that it sounds like it’s low on power steering fluid, but I know that’s not the case since it’s electric.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
It’s 2020. 18k miles.
Trip back: It was mostly highway until the last 30 miles, which are windy. I only noticed (or it started back up) once I was turning into my neighborhood at about 5mph. It’s always the same loudness, but it’s more frequent at lower speeds and as the car gets warmed up. Happens during left and right hand turns.
That makes it sound more like a wheel bearing or dust guard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Check your tire pressures. My wife's Subaru XV had one out of four that was way too low, and you can hear the drivetrain complain when at speed.

Maybe you need a wheel alignment check as well after making all those changes if you haven't done so.
Thanks. I wish it was that simple. I’m very meticulous with my wife’s tire pressure, tire rotations/alignment, and oil changes:)

·
Registered
2021 Ascent
13 Posts
Thanks! I’ll add that to list of possibilities for the shop to look into:)
When it is making the noise apply the brakes at the same time . If it goes away you have a pad hanging up in one of the pad brackets. Since owning my Ascent I have noticed (like most car companies even High line models ) that the rotors are a Softer (so to speak) metal composite and the pads have become more metallic. This combination lends itself to loud squawking , for those who have machined rotors, like when you go too deep with the cutting tips and do not have an anti vibration band on the rotor. I cannot tell you how many times a vehicle comes in where the rear pads are hanging up making that noise, But I could be wrong 😜.
Just let us know what it was... I am interested

Carl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts