Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I'm Savannah and I've had my 2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Crimson Red) for almost 2 years now. I have "broken it in" by sliding on black ice and hitting a curb, causing 3k of damage (wheel, tire, axle, bunch of little things). I'm looking to add some upgrades that are visual, but useful.

A) I want to lift my ride. How has done it, and what are your thoughts, wish you would have knowns, etc?
B) Put on some KMC Bully's (18)
C) Get All Terrain All Season so I can be a little more in control in ice and snow, but also feel better about taking it off road. Looking at the BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2's
D)Adding a tow hitch. Why Subaru, why do you brag about the 5000 towing capacity, yet not include the tow parts standard with the Touring????

And because of this, I need a way to store my new spare, want a cool roof rack, and roof rack accessories.

Any input on the above would be lovely! Has there been any weird change to the vehicle? Can you put the original tires on for long trips?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Can you put the original tires on for long trips?
If you choose to keep your original wheels and tires as I have, I would strongly recommend buying new TPMS sensors for each wheel and having them cloned to your original wheels. You can swap the stockers back on and retain TPMS functionality.

Further, you may wish to consider storing your OEM wheels and tires out of the way. I've found these hangers to be somewhat useful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you choose to keep your original wheels and tires as I have, I would strongly recommend buying new TPMS sensors for each wheel and having them cloned to your original wheels. You can swap the stockers back on and retain TPMS functionality.

Further, you may wish to consider storing your OEM wheels and tires out of the way. I've found these hangers to be somewhat useful.
Thank you! Did you lift yours? What Tires/Wheels do you have on it now? What do you like/dislike about it?

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Thank you! Did you lift yours? What Tires/Wheels do you have on it now? What do you like/dislike about it?
No lift. 17" Method Racing 502s with Continental Terrain Contact A/T's (not good for ice or snow, compared to all others on the market).

Added the Romik running boards for the shorties in my life to get in and out of their carseats easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello! I'm Savannah and I've had my 2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Crimson Red) for almost 2 years now. I have "broken it in" by sliding on black ice and hitting a curb, causing 3k of damage (wheel, tire, axle, bunch of little things). I'm looking to add some upgrades that are visual, but useful.

A) I want to lift my ride. How has done it, and what are your thoughts, wish you would have knowns, etc?
B) Put on some KMC Bully's (18)
C) Get All Terrain All Season so I can be a little more in control in ice and snow, but also feel better about taking it off road. Looking at the BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2's
D)Adding a tow hitch. Why Subaru, why do you brag about the 5000 towing capacity, yet not include the tow parts standard with the Touring????

And because of this, I need a way to store my new spare, want a cool roof rack, and roof rack accessories.

Any input on the above would be lovely! Has there been any weird change to the vehicle? Can you put the original tires on for long trips?

Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi savanna , I too wanted those things for my 20’ crimson ascent . So I just did it - and I’m glad I did .

primitive racing spacers - 1” up front , 1.25 in rear (I tow a lot )

18” liquid metal shadows wrapped in 245/60/18 falken AT trails - full size spare on Rola roof basket . I did the lift myself and it was easy - maybe 2 hours of work . I will add I was a mechanic for 10 years . Just tested last weekend in the Shenandoah and it was bliss .
  • let me know if I can help you with anything
  • Zach from VA

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi savanna , I too wanted those things for my 20’ crimson ascent . So I just did it - and I’m glad I did .

primitive racing spacers - 1” up front , 1.25 in rear (I tow a lot )

18” liquid metal shadows wrapped in 245/60/18 falken AT trails - full size spare on Rola roof basket . I did the lift myself and it was easy - maybe 2 hours of work . I will add I was a mechanic for 10 years . Just tested last weekend in the Shenandoah and it was bliss .
  • let me know if I can help you with anything
  • Zach from VA

View attachment 6116
View attachment 6117
View attachment 6118
View attachment 6119
I really like that camper set up. Just found it online and it very interesting. Like this use of a cargo trailer setup as a camper.

Have a couple of questions for you though. Says tongue weight is 525 and GVWR is 5200. Ascent is rated at 500 and 5000. Have you had any issues?

Also, does it have solar? Anything you don’t like about it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
So this is the intech flyer persue model with adventure package , batwing awning . I installed the dexter 2.5” lift - gives it just shy of 14” of ground clearance . This model has a GVWR of 2200lbs and a tongue weight of 225-325. It’s pre-wired for solar with a ZAMP connection on outside. There is nothing I don’t like about it - it has been incredible . I added RTT myself and my family of 4 plus large dog fir comfortable

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I talked to someone else that has the KM 708s with Falken ATs and no lift. They look great. So, I'm still torn on the lift. My concerns are future issues with what will wear out faster than I want it to. I have a 7 year, 100k warranty on my baby, and I'm pretty sure if something wears out or breaks that could be traced to a lift, then no coverage. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I'm pretty sure if something wears out or breaks that could be traced to a lift, then no coverage. Thoughts?
[/QUOTE]
it is true that if it can be traced back to your mod the coverage will be void for that item. I am no lift expert but I believe that a lift can impact many components. It is a personal decision and risk.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Considering Subaru actually published a warning about lifts and their possible affect on the vehicle, you can pretty much consider any breakage that can be traced back to the lift (and even oversized tires) to void that part o the warranty. IOW if you're running larger tires and your CVT craps out, Subaru is going to deny coverage because you've effectively changed the final gear ratio by using the bigger tire. If you lift it and again something goes wrong with the CVT or motor, Subaru is going to deny coverage. You can try and throw the Magnussen Moss Warranty Act at them, but at the end of the day, it'll cost you $400+/hr to retain an attorney vs SOA has any number of lawyers on their staff already. Bottom line is you play, be prepared to pay.

So I talked to someone else that has the KM 708s with Falken ATs and no lift. They look great. So, I'm still torn on the lift. My concerns are future issues with what will wear out faster than I want it to. I have a 7 year, 100k warranty on my baby, and I'm pretty sure if something wears out or breaks that could be traced to a lift, then no coverage. Thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Considering Subaru actually published a warning about lifts and their possible affect on the vehicle, you can pretty much consider any breakage that can be traced back to the lift (and even oversized tires) to void that part o the warranty. IOW if you're running larger tires and your CVT craps out, Subaru is going to deny coverage because you've effectively changed the final gear ratio by using the bigger tire. If you lift it and again something goes wrong with the CVT or motor, Subaru is going to deny coverage. You can try and throw the Magnussen Moss Warranty Act at them, but at the end of the day, it'll cost you $400+/hr to retain an attorney vs SOA has any number of lawyers on their staff already. Bottom line is you play, be prepared to pay.
Ok, so, let's say that is true. And I don't do the lift. What constitutes a bigger tire? They have 18" rims. and putting A/T tires doesn't seem to be against regulation. What do you think would be "ok" but still be way better than the stock crap tires? This is so frustrating. I do not plan on doing hardcore technical things. I don't plan on climbing rocks like a jeep would. Otherwise, I'd get a real 4x4. What I want is the ability to get out further. Camp in the middle of nowhere. Enjoy the stars that most cars can't. And camp. Plus, a cool look. :) And if Subaru posted the warning, then why the heck are local dealerships SELLING them with the lifts?? This is misleading and confusing to consumers.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,900 Posts
What constitutes a bigger tire?
In general...a bigger tire is one that has a larger diameter than OEM. Wheel diameter is independent of that. The one thing you need to remember relative to up-sizing your tires is that if you choose to do so, you must also upsize your spare. A lift isn't going to materially change your tire diameter choices on a vehicle like this. Lifts are more effective on body-on-frame vehicles in that respect. If anything, the available small lifts for the Ascent will give a hair more ground clearance, but there are certainly potential negatives as has been mentioned when lifts come up in discussion.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
52 Posts
FWIW- IMO- Subaru’s have small wheel wells to begin with . Even with my 1” lift I’m running stock 18” tire size - just in a AT. Larger tires aren’t needed to be more capable as the Subaru ascent is incredibly capable as it- IMO the stock tires hold it back off-road (fire roads ) wet terrain / snow / etc. I installed my 1” spacers to gain back my lost inch of GC from my primitive skids. I could easily remove the spacers in about 1.5 hours in my driveway.

·
Super Moderator
3,900 Posts
PWC', I think you'll find that most folks who opt for up-sized tires do so because they like how they look. There's very limited real benefit from the larger diameter and some downsizes, like weight as well as the need for a new spare and inaccurate speedo/odo. A big percentage of folks who lift vehicles do it primarily for the look, too. 'Nature of the beast...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I would have no desire to change the overall diameter of my tire size. I would just drop from a 20" rim to an 18" and make sure the actual tire is same as stock (to fit the new 18 of course) and that would be it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
My guess is it would come down to what was actually changed on the vehicle. If you bought a new set of tires in the same size but a different brand, Subaru isn't likely to fight you on that even if the replacement tires are slightly different in actual circumference. However if you buy an entirely different size tire that's say 1" taller, then SOA could very well say you did not follow the mfgr recommendations and therefore made a material change that affects the final drive ratio and therefore they can void that part of your warranty. If you install a lift, then for sure, SOA is going to balk if you have a powertrain issue.

SOA sent that notice to dealers who were installing their own lift kits. The dealers who continue to do so are essentially warrantying the lift kit and powertrain because when push comes to shove, SOA isn't going to cover if there's an issue. The question is, do you trust your dealer enough to back you up when the you know what hits the fan?

Ok, so, let's say that is true. And I don't do the lift. What constitutes a bigger tire? They have 18" rims. and putting A/T tires doesn't seem to be against regulation. What do you think would be "ok" but still be way better than the stock crap tires? This is so frustrating. I do not plan on doing hardcore technical things. I don't plan on climbing rocks like a jeep would. Otherwise, I'd get a real 4x4. What I want is the ability to get out further. Camp in the middle of nowhere. Enjoy the stars that most cars can't. And camp. Plus, a cool look. :) And if Subaru posted the warning, then why the heck are local dealerships SELLING them with the lifts?? This is misleading and confusing to consumers.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
My guess is it would come down to what was actually changed on the vehicle. If you bought a new set of tires in the same size but a different brand, Subaru isn't likely to fight you on that even if the replacement tires are slightly different in actual circumference. However if you buy an entirely different size tire that's say 1" taller, then SOA could very well say you did not follow the mfgr recommendations and therefore made a material change that affects the final drive ratio and therefore they can void that part of your warranty. If you install a lift, then for sure, SOA is going to balk if you have a powertrain issue.

SOA sent that notice to dealers who were installing their own lift kits. The dealers who continue to do so are essentially warrantying the lift kit and powertrain because when push comes to shove, SOA isn't going to cover if there's an issue. The question is, do you trust your dealer enough to back you up when the you know what hits the fan?
Dealers are absolutely NOT warrantying the vehicle are specific components just because they sell and install a lift kit -- unless they specifically put some warranty to that effect in writing. I would be shocked to see such a document but would find it a fascinating read.

·
Super Moderator
3,900 Posts
Dealers are absolutely NOT warrantying the vehicle are specific components just because they sell and install a lift kit -- unless they specifically put some warranty to that effect in writing. I would be shocked to see such a document but would find it a fascinating read.
True...I think that a likely accurate statement, however, is that a dealer who installs these lifts may be held liable for any resultant issues, even if they don't provide a written warranty unless they make a customer sign a waiver...which may or may not ultimately protect them in real life litigation if negligence can be proven.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
That's one of my biggest concerns, especially if dealership management changes, and new management decides to no longer try to sneak in warranty claims for modified parts/vehicles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.