Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I’m looking to add the 2” LP lift kit to my Ascent, keep my stock 20” wheels, and upsize away from the OEM 245-50/20 to a 255-55/20 AT tire. Same wheel, but the new tire diameter increases by about 1.4” from 29.6” to 31.0”. Anyone foresee any issues doing this tire change with the LP Aventure 2” lift, keeping my OEM 20” wheels? Thx!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,590 Posts
A lift on vehicles like this doesn't materially increase the tire size capability...things will likely be very tight. And don't forget you also need to change your spare to a tire of the same diameter to avoid damage to your drivetrain in the case you need to use the spare.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, Jim, sounds like it makes sense to keep the OEM wheels and tires, just change over to a 245-50/20 AT in conjunction with the LP lift kit to add a little more ground clearance?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Everyone!

discount tire says that a 255-50/20 will fit the ascent touring’s 20” OEM wheels, so that will be a slightly wider tire with a minor increase in overall diameter compared to the stock 245-50/20. that’s what I’ll go with (along with the LP lift).

I’ll share some pics once I get it all on the car - might be a few weeks...

·
Super Moderator
4,590 Posts
THe 255/50R20 should be fine, but you'll still need to change the spare. Subaru's specification for mismatch is very tight. I was considering that size to be able to get a specific tire I wanted (Michelin Defender LTX) but in the end opted for a different tire in OEM size.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it - thank Jim - will make sure to get a fifth wheel/tire and go with a full size spare!

·
Super Moderator
4,590 Posts
Will a full size tire fit in the spare tire well?
Depends on the tire, and may also require carrying at low pressure and then inflated with a small compressor before putting on to replace a damaged tire on one of the four corners.

Reactions: RickLafayette

·
Administrator
11,404 Posts
Any time a full sized spare is underneath, it needs to be deflated. Subaru instructs to deflate, and to only store it there temporarily. Especially for off-roading, do not put a full sized spare underneath. Even when I was running a 1" lift, and not doing crazy things, I've grabbed my tire on things, and it's hit my hitch and bumper's inner support bracket. In doing so, it's bent the bracket and ripped it off the bumper cover, as well as bent the brackets that hold both my 4 pin connector and 7 pin connector.

It really hangs down a lot.

I recommend storing a full sized elsewhere.

·
Administrator
11,404 Posts
@daihung see pic in the previous comment.

·
Administrator
11,404 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts