Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had it happen twice now where the rear hatch on our 2019 Ascent won’t open when I push the button and an non-stop siren starts sounding. The first time it happened we tried calling subaru and tried everything they told us and nothing worked. The only thing that stops it is disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Both times the rear hatch was clear/nothing stuck in it like the mat. The hatch will not open with any of the ways you can open it and there is no way to stop the siren without disconnecting the battery. Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
The OP is referring to a continuous alert that sounds when the gate won't open. I had this problem, as have others, and if the OP searches this sub-forum they'll find numerous posts on this specific issue and other rear gate problems. For our 2019 Premium it took two trips to the dealership to address the issue. First was to replace the rear gate control module, and the second trip was to replace the rear gate latch assembly. The dealership has several Service Information Bulletins available to them that address rear gate issues. Bottomline, the car needs to go to the dealership for them to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The sound is not of a siren but it’s more of a beep and I agree a trip to the dealership would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I’ve had it happen twice now where the rear hatch on our 2019 Ascent won’t open when I push the button and an non-stop siren starts sounding. The first time it happened we tried calling subaru and tried everything they told us and nothing worked. The only thing that stops it is disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Both times the rear hatch was clear/nothing stuck in it like the mat. The hatch will not open with any of the ways you can open it and there is no way to stop the siren without disconnecting the battery. Has this happened to anyone else?
I had never heard of a "yooper" so I had to look it up figuring it actually came from somewhere. I learn something new every day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t consider it a beep when it doesn’t beep, it is a continuous alarm that will not stop. Thanks, I will try the dealership again. The last time we took it in for that it was last summer and they acted like I was an idiot and there couldn’t possibly be anything wrong with the car. They kept saying I must have gotten something wedged in the lift gate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had never heard of a "yooper" so I had to look it up figuring it actually came from somewhere. I learn something new every day.
People from Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Beautiful place to visit if you like doing things outdoors.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Does the hatch open at all when you do this?If it opens alittle but not the whole way check your hatch height memory button. Wife pressed it the other week and I thought the hatch was broken. It would open like 6 inches and beep alot then had to lift it the rest of the way. It would go back down no problem. Hopefully it's something silly like this.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
No, it won’t budge at all. It is sealed tight and none of the ways to open it will work.
Hello from Lansing!
There is an initialization procedure on page 157-158 of the manual where you press and hold the Open button on the rear gate. You probably have already tried this but in case you haven't.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
The sound is not of a siren but it’s more of a beep and I agree a trip to the dealership would be my suggestion.
You will hear both beeps (two when things are working fine, and three when there's an issue such as the car is still locked) and occasionally, like the OP states, a continuous tone that won't shut off until you disconnect the negative battery cable. I had this continuous tone on several occasions, and got to carrying around a 10mm box wrench just for disconnecting the battery cable. But since the issue only presented itself when I used the dash button, I adapted over time of never using that button to open the rear gate - just used the fob or the rear gate outside button, which always worked for me. Now that the problem is supposedly fixed, I find myself still reluctant to use the dash button unless it's in close proximity to the dealership on a workday so I can immediately drive it over there if there's a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You will hear both beeps (two when things are working fine, and three when there's an issue such as the car is still locked) and occasionally, like the OP states, a continuous tone that won't shut off until you disconnect the negative battery cable. I had this continuous tone on several occasions, and got to carrying around a 10mm box wrench just for disconnecting the battery cable. But since the issue only presented itself when I used the dash button, I adapted over time of never using that button to open the rear gate - just used the fob or the rear gate outside button, which always worked for me. Now that the problem is supposedly fixed, I find myself still reluctant to use the dash button unless it's in close proximity to the dealership on a workday so I can immediately drive it over there if there's a problem.

Just jumping in to say I had the same issue with my 2019 Premium. I got the dreaded continuous tone on several occasions which would only be resolved by disconnecting the battery, and interestingly it only occurred when I tried to open the hatch using the button on the dash, never using the latch release in the rear. After several visits, I eventually got someone at the dealership to look up the service bulletin and agree that my symptoms matched it, so they replaced the rear gate control module and I have not had a problem since. Still hesitant to use the button on the dash however.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our Assent tailgate failed to open when I accidentally let the battery drain out and jump started the car. Called dealer and they said I needed to bring it in. We were on the road to Az for winter and couldn’t bring it in. I pushed the emergency button and talked to the person that came on. She said pull off the road and go back and hold the button that opens it for a few seconds until I hear it “beep”. I did that then the gate unlocked and worked fine. Too bad the dealer either didn’t know or wanted me to come in to be charged for an expensive redo of the computer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also happened to me on our 2019 Ascent. Drove to our dealer with the screeching sound in my ears all the way there. Not fun. Car was basically disabled just from trying to open the lift gate. How stupid is that? Glad it happened to me near our dealer. They made it sound as if I was the only one in the entire universe that this had ever happened to. I'm still nervous about using the dash button to open the gate. All the tech said he did was reset the control module.
Really!! I'm supposed to know how to do that while possibly stuck during a trip with a screeching car somewhere along a highway?
I think not.

·
Registered
Ascent 19/Forester 17
5 Posts
It also happened to me a few weeks ago and fortunately was able to find a wrench and disconnected the battery to reset it. I read something about holding the button for 10 seconds or something to reset it (looks like someone also posted it above), so maybe I will try that next time.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Holding the button for ten or more seconds did not work for me, nor did reinitialization of the rear gate as detailed in the manual. Had to have both the rear gate control unit and the rear latch replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this happen funny enough on a trip to the UP while we were in WI. We were finally able to open the gate by prying off a panel on the inside and then trying the reset. Thought we were good to go again and almost back on the highway when the alarm went off. There was no way we could have gotten to next dealership with that sound. Unplugged the battery as last hope but it worked. Drove the rest of the way without preset stations, etc. but we were so glad to have the gate working for two weeks of camping.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts