Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to install the lift gate LED add on from Subispeed that is for the Forester but Stillmotion proved that it works on the Ascent. So naturally I followed this install video for the Forester but hit a snag removing bottom half trim of the gate. I was able to remove the top trim and side trims like in the video as well as the 2 screws holding the bottom trim. But the video shows another 2 screws that have to be removed, one by the handle and another near the bottom. Those screws are no where to be found on the Ascent and I don't see any other screws I can remove. I tried to pull off the trim and felt resistance near the bottom of the gate where there would be screws on the Forester. Anyone got any ideas?

https://youtu.be/exgELm6W5TE

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hopefully someone who has installed a dash cam can chime in because they have removed those panels if I’m thinking about what you’re referring to.

I won’t be near the Ascent for the next week so I won’t be able to take a look myself.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully someone who has installed a dash cam can chime in because they have removed those panels if I’m thinking about what you’re referring to.

I won’t be near the Ascent for the next week so I won’t be able to take a look myself.
I'm thinking for a dash cam you would only need to remove the top panel... I need to remove the bottom panel so I can run a wire from where the light will be to the top of the door.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Parts diagram looks like it's only clips?? Might be plastic clips on the panel that are nice and snug like the trim at the top of the rear hatch. Let us know how it goes, I've been debating on getting this as well.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Parts diagram looks like it's only clips?? Might be plastic clips on the panel that are nice and snug like the trim at the top of the rear hatch. Let us know how it goes, I've been debating on getting this as well.
Thanks for the diagram.... I got the 57786D screws out but where is that W130257 screw coming from? Other than that you are probably right it doesn't look like there are any more screws to take out. I was just afraid of tugging as hard as I could because there are buttons on the bottom surface like the button to close the gate that I was afraid to mess with. Like where does that button go if I pull off the panel?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the diagram.... I got the 57786D screws out but where is that W130257 screw coming from? Other than that you are probably right it doesn't look like there are any more screws to take out. I was just afraid of tugging as hard as I could because there are buttons on the bottom surface like the button to close the gate that I was afraid to mess with. Like where does that button go if I pull off the panel?
I'm guessing the button and trim pop out like most other Subaru buttons. The trim most likely has clips molded I to it and the button probably clips right in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The opening on the Ascent looks to be 4x5. I email Subispeed and they said that light is ~ 4.5x5. That light is sold for the Forester. Can anyone with a Forester measure that opening to see if it's the same dimension as the Ascent?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The opening on the Ascent looks to be 4x5. I email Subispeed and they said that light is ~ 4.5x5. That light is sold for the Forester. Can anyone with a Forester measure that opening to see if it's the same dimension as the Ascent?

Stillmotion already posted photos of it that shows it is an exact fit in the Ascent.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Please save yourselves some trouble. Pop rivets suck. Tape up your parts and if you can just buy the 9 dollar trim removal tools in Autozone or some other auto shop. the parts come in a pack with various tools and are found near the vinyl install aisle.

I ordered mine and it is on back order.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought a couple of $.99 LED mini clip-on lights at Walmart and just clipped them to the third row seat belts at the retractor areas. Not nearly as elegant of a solution, but I'm cheap, lol ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,522 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Nice mod! I have an LED strip on my truck’s camper shell controlled with a dimmer. Super useful top down light. The side light in the cargo area is a joke

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nice mod! I have an LED strip on my truck’s camper shell controlled with a dimmer. Super useful top down light. The side light in the cargo area is a joke
Agreed. If I were to design the trunk lighting, I would have put it in the overhead roof liner FIRST and THEN thought about putting a side LED in both sides of the cargo area. SMH...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: I managed to finally remove the bottom panel of the door. It is indeed held by 2 screws hidden under the handle on the right half. You have to pry the cover off the handle to reveal the screws. I followed the youtube forester video. Another difference is obviously you are going to wire up the left side rather than the right side. Unlike the forester, there are 3 screws to remove for that left panel that holds the existing trunk light. One is under the hook. One is hidden under a very small circular flush panel. The 3rd is visible. Other than that rest of the video applies to the Ascent. I did hit a snag at the end. The light did not turn on. The trunk light turns on but the new lift gate light does not turn on. I don't know what I did wrong. The reviews mention a 2 amp fuse that seems to be a common issue. I don't understand where this 2 amp fuse is in relation to this kit. I don't see it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Update: I managed to finally remove the bottom panel of the door. It is indeed held by 2 screws hidden under the handle on the right half. You have to pry the cover off the handle to reveal the screws. I followed the youtube forester video. Another difference is obviously you are going to wire up the left side rather than the right side. Unlike the forester, there are 3 screws to remove for that left panel that holds the existing trunk light. One is under the hook. One is hidden under a very small circular flush panel. The 3rd is visible. Other than that rest of the video applies to the Ascent. I did hit a snag at the end. The light did not turn on. The trunk light turns on but the new lift gate light does not turn on. I don't know what I did wrong. The reviews mention a 2 amp fuse that seems to be a common issue. I don't understand where this 2 amp fuse is in relation to this kit. I don't see it.
2 days later... It finally works! Subispeed wrote back to me and told me that it was probably a blown fuse and they were right. The fuse is located very close to the existing hatch light on the way up, in line, like a small milky white cylinder holder with a spring. It holds a 2 amp buss little fuse (the smallest kind). You release it by pushing down on the spring and then rotate. I bought a 2-pack from home depot and I actually blew the new one because I did not disconnect the new light. The key is to not connect the new light until the very end. Good thing I bought a 2-pack.

The light looks great and really brightens up the trunk area. I am dumbfounded how this is not standard on the Ascent or Forester.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello,
Can someone explain how all the fuses got blown and is the fuse hidden or accessible once the light is in . Since this works on another circuits lighting, why is it fused separately?

Also how does this light operate?
Thanks
Andrew

1 - 20 of 32 Posts