Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright guys need some input here. Just swapped out the lead acid batteries in my travel trailer for Lion energy UT1300 LiFePO4 batteries. Question is.....will this mess up the Ascent battery when the 7 pin is connected because these have different charge rates / capacities and voltages? I’m worried that my LiFePo batteries will try to equalize with the car battery and over charge it.
Or does the pass through charging on the 7 pin only go 1 way? (From Ascent to trailer).

Leads me to my next thought.... can I just pull the wire out of the 7 pin that is the “charging” Wire? I have solar on my rig and don’t need to charge my rig batteries from the Ascent anyway. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
How about using the charge controller to charge the LiFePO4 batteries? Or getting one that accepts a separate DC input to do so?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not swapped out the trailer charge controller (via tow vehicle) for the new battery set up.....And don’t necessarily want to if I don’t have to. The solar charge controller is set for LiFePO4, but then once I plug in the Ascent 7 pin I don’t want the trailer (Higher voltage batteries 14.6v to interfere with the car battery 12.6 ish?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or I guess I can simply disconnect the 12V power on the trailer side of the 7 pin harness ...to keep them separate 🤔

1 - 4 of 4 Posts