Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Subaru,

Please please give us a software switch to turn off the fake shifting. Sure, we get that some (even many) Ascent drivers may like to have RPM feedback on their speed, and faking gives them that. But forcing the CVT to shift into set ratios keeps the rest of us from fully enjoying our *C*VTs (C for Continuous!).

I've finally figured ways to work the gas pedal so the fake shifts are at a minimum. But I shouldn't have to do that! When I do, it's pure joy: the RPMs park at 2200, and the speedometer moves smoothly (Continuously!) upward. Can I tell what speed I'm going at? Of course, because I *learned* to do it visually without rrrrmmmmMMM, rrrmmmmMMM, rrrmmmmMMMMMM.

(I'd really love to do that at ANY acceleration rate. But this kludge only works at slower build up.)

If you think we're just early adopter weinies, just do a survey and count us. Ask your drivers if you could release the CVT from fake shifts and let it Be What It's Meant To Be. And if you still think we're small numbers, give us a software option. We'll sign a statement that says we recognize that the vehicle can accelerate to high speed without sounding like it's going fast, if that's what's troubling you.

Last point: The fake shifting is an Apologist's approach to selling new tech. It's been many years, and I think you are All-In. Removing the training wheels (or giving an option) would show it.

Thanks,
First Subie (and not my Last Subie)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
My wife has the 2016 CVT version on the Forester and there's no fake shift. However, people reported that the 2017+ Forester has fake shift. I wonder if there's any advantage for the fake shift. When I think about it, the car has a lot of power/torque (@ 2000-4000rpm) and perhaps continuously moving the pulleys will cause some strains in the transmission components?

I don't like it but I would like to know why they design it that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My understanding is that people have trouble adjusting to the no shift point progression. I don't understand why, I had 2004 and 2009 Muranos with CVT and I loved driving them. I am probably buying an Ascent and would love to turn off fake shift points.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The fake shift does breaks up the monotony of a droning CVT for drivers who hate CVTs. The fake shift ruins gas mileage so much that we are using cruise control even in town, if that makes any sense. Cruise control on the eco setting keeps the RPMs under the fake shift range. Otherwise the CVT waits for the redline, ruining gas mileage.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... I wonder if there's any advantage for the fake shift. When I think about it, the car has a lot of power/torque (@ 2000-4000rpm) and perhaps continuously moving the pulleys will cause some strains in the transmission components?
That's a reasonable question. I'd throw the same to a non-cvt scenario, is continuously moving the throttle body causing some strains. (Eh, ok that's pretty weak - I'd concede that the throttle body is way simpler.)

Still, even that unfair example points to design intent - these mechanisms (traditional transmission, CVT, throttle body, turbo) are designed to operate and cycle. Design maturity ultimately decides how ready a design is for high cycle prime time performance against other designs and concepts. I just think, with the amount of car designs around this CVT design, that it is ready to not be apologized for.

Hey, one thought on your thought: it's possible that *not* allowing a CVT to adjust ratios continuously might cause premature problems. For example, I could imagine this CVT with fake shifting turned on to have greater wear in specific diameters of the conical pulley surfaces, than an identical CVT with fake shifting turned off (fake shifting forces the steel chainy belty thingy to travel at those fixed ratios a lot more). At least in my mind (and definitely with no data), I find that imaginable.

F.S.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
811 Posts
I'd be in favor of either driver or possibly dealer selectable (like some other options) fake shifting. It personally doesn't bother me because I seldom feel it but I could see how it could be annoying to some people and could also feel like something is missing to other people who expect to feel shifting during acceleration. My other car is an Accord hybrid that doesn't have a transmission at all, so I'm used to smooth shiftless acceleration.

If Subaru added fake shifting to other models in the past it was probably in response to complaints about the shiftless cvts at that time. Now here we are wanting them to take it away. Funny!

Something that closely tied to the driving experience should be customizable.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My 2015 Forester XT not fake shifting and I love it. The ruberband effect is minimal and only if I am wide open throttle watching all the other cars in my reveries mirrors. Just yesterday at a light I was next to an X5 owner who clearly want to race, I accelerated quickly up to legal speed limit and lost the edge on him only when the Ascent fake shifted. I willing to bet the 0-60 can be improved a whole second without it. I love a sport mode button tighten steering response and eliminates fake shifting. Doubtful that will ever happen in this vehicle with Safety at the forefront. Cobb make running available yet. I already run premium fuel only because I do not pay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does the fake shift really cause lower mpg? Holy Cow, DEFINITELY give us the option to turn that off then. I'll learn to adapt to burn less fuel (don't really care about a faster 0-60, just give me efficiency). Put me on the beta-test team!

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'd like the option to let the CVT do what it's supposed to do best, and fake shifting is not what they do best. I get that some people prefer to have the simulated shifts, but it comes at the cost of lower performance and fuel economy, and increased complexity. If you want to simulate 8 gears, just use a more reliable cogged gearbox. Plus, I find the CVT has issues at low speeds, especially in the cold, and is easily confused under sudden stabs or releases of the throttle.

I'd also like to have (defeat-able) auto shutoff at stoplights, but the engine tends to be rough at startup and it might shake the car too much.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
My wife has the 2016 CVT version on the Forester and there's no fake shift. However, people reported that the 2017+ Forester has fake shift. I wonder if there's any advantage for the fake shift. When I think about it, the car has a lot of power/torque (@ 2000-4000rpm) and perhaps continuously moving the pulleys will cause some strains in the transmission components?

I don't like it but I would like to know why they design it that way.
People complained. So, I guess the advantage is they're not complaining? ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dear Subaru,

Please please give us a software switch to turn off the fake shifting. Sure, we get that some (even many) Ascent drivers may like to have RPM feedback on their speed, and faking gives them that. But forcing the CVT to shift into set ratios keeps the rest of us from fully enjoying our *C*VTs (C for Continuous!).

I've finally figured ways to work the gas pedal so the fake shifts are at a minimum. But I shouldn't have to do that! When I do, it's pure joy: the RPMs park at 2200, and the speedometer moves smoothly (Continuously!) upward. Can I tell what speed I'm going at? Of course, because I *learned* to do it visually without rrrrmmmmMMM, rrrmmmmMMM, rrrmmmmMMMMMM.

(I'd really love to do that at ANY acceleration rate. But this kludge only works at slower build up.)

If you think we're just early adopter weinies, just do a survey and count us. Ask your drivers if you could release the CVT from fake shifts and let it Be What It's Meant To Be. And if you still think we're small numbers, give us a software option. We'll sign a statement that says we recognize that the vehicle can accelerate to high speed without sounding like it's going fast, if that's what's troubling you.

Last point: The fake shifting is an Apologist's approach to selling new tech. It's been many years, and I think you are All-In. Removing the training wheels (or giving an option) would show it.

Thanks,
First Subie (and not my Last Subie)
I vote for it too

·
Registered
232 Posts
Drove a Nissan Altima for years with the CVT whine, so happy the Ascent doesn't do this. Sorry to the people that want that, hopefully they could release an ECO option in the settings for you guys.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'll say the Ascent CVT is a lot better than the '14 outback CVT which always sounded like it was stuck in 2nd gear. I just want this one to stop hunting around while I'm trying to drive at a constant speed.
I just drove on a 2,000 mile trip and didn't notice this "hunting" at all and at almost 20,000 miles total haven't noticed it. What speed are you going when you get it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Owned the Ascent for about 3 weeks now. Still trying to figure out how this CVT thing works, and I know the ECM is still learning our driving habits. Its a wacky system to say the least. I started using the paddle shifters to make the driving and accelerating more enjoyable.

Makes me appreciate my v8 Lexus ISF that much more when I can mash on the throttle and let all 400whp take me through all 8 gears!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just drove on a 2,000 mile trip and didn't notice this "hunting" at all and at almost 20,000 miles total haven't noticed it. What speed are you going when you get it?
Mostly at freeway speed but it also does it at 35mph. Due to fluctuations in traffic I need to modulate the throttle a bit but I find that means the engine revvs up and down and up and down like I'm stomping on the gas in a binary fashion. If I use the cruise control, the behavior disappears entirely.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts