Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
My first lemon review with Subaru Of America was denied. I have not signed any NDA.
My car started smoking on start up shortly after I bought it end of July 2019. Its a 2019 Touring. By the time the smoke got bad enough for me to realize it wasnt normal or condensation it was November and I was at 1950 miles. I had a poor experience at my purchase dealer so went to a 2nd one. They had it half day said they knew it was smoke but couldn't tell why and for me to come drive it some more and mayne it will go away. That maybe it was a piece if plastic burning off or something. The smoke continued but it is intermittent depending on how long and far I drive and how long it sits after I believe.
December arrives and smoke still an issue and now 2 recalls so I make an appt for Jan 6th (soonest available) at a new dealership (3rd) and make a list of multiple warranty concerns. At 3000 miles.
1. Smoke on start up
2. Chrome around windows has defective spots
3. Air conditioned seat fan loud noise
4. Excessive leather seat wear on outer edges both passanger and driver
Car was in the shop 25 days total
Smoke unable to diagnos but confirmed not normal, lemon review denied. So I'm starting an oil consumption test but I normally drive 100 miles a week because I'm a caregiver for a parent and the test requires 1200 miles. So now I have to go out of my way to drive more and spend more on gas so I dont have to go through this fir 12 weeks. I picked up the car today to start the test thinking all other work had been completed like the service rep told the SOA rep when he told me to go get it (service rep was off today). The chrome piece around the last window driver side where I first found the defect is the only one they did not replace. The leather was ordered but hasnt come in yet, when I got home there were two huge unopened boxes of rear windows in my cargo area, I'm guessing they didnt install it? Now I have to carry them in the house because theres no room for my mothers walker. I'ce added a link to my youtube video. This was a minor event, both videos on the same day one morning one afternoon in Novemberin So Cal didn't drive it in between. Other times it engulfed the car and filled my front yard. I think it clearly has a blue tint to it. California law is 30 days out of service OR multiple attempts. When I take it back after the 1200 miles it will be the 3rd attempt and we are just diagnosing still. Once they take it apart to fix it I should reach my 30 days. Not to mention the work they haven't finished. I thought because I'm eventually going to get there they would help me out but they haven't. I told them I just want a replacement but now I'm thinking of buy back and researching other cars. I researched this car for a year before deciding on it and drove the Pilot and didnt like it. I want an SuV that has top safety for my fragile 77 yr old mother but I also one day want to be able to tow a small trailer so towing is important to me. I dont see ever towing in this car now that they cant find the leaks and have to tear it apart. Very frustrating. I found multiple people with my same issue in the Facebook group and YouTube but only two people have shared results and it was an engine replacement and turbo replacement. No one else follows up with what happened.

·
Registered
349 Posts
^^^
Are working thru your dealer's service dept. or is SoA involved? If SoA is not involved you need to get them involved immediately.

Is there another dealer you can use? There is no excuse for the parts left in the boxes uninstalled.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Both. I got SOA involved after the 1st dealer turned me away with smoke. So they were already in contact and working with the 2nd dealer when I made the appointment. The SOA contact emailed me to pick up the car because the service rep told him it was ready. I couldn't get ahold of the service rep, he had said on Tuesday it would be ready Thursday evening. I picked it up Friday and it was my reps day off but the car was already delivered to the cashier. I found out when I got there that the leather was still on order only after going to inspect the leather. I haven't even tried the AC seat fan yet. I emailed SOA about what happened last night but they wont respond till next week, it's all been through email. I just now text my service rep because he works today/Saturday, and told him about the chrome not done and the boxes in the back. I found someone to drive my car to Mammoth on the 11th so I may finish the oil test in 3 weeks. I just have to make sure my insurance covers someone else or add him. The car was $50k out the door. So now when the test is done they still have to finish this chrome piece, replace the leather piece (they just ordered the outside trim on the seat cushion) which is what I thought took the 24 days already, and two of my friends who work in dealer service say it's most likely the valve seals so once they figure out to check those then theres replacement of that however long that takes. Hopefully the full 30 days so I get a new car!

·
Registered
30 Posts
^^^
Are working thru your dealer's service dept. or is SoA involved? If SoA is not involved you need to get them involved immediately.

Is there another dealer you can use? There is no excuse for the parts left in the boxes uninstalled.
This is the 3rd dealership in my area, a porter told me no one like the other two that I already tried so they have been busy getting all the service jobs in our area. To try a 4th dealer puts me driving 45+ minutes away in traffic in So Cal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
^^^

The dealership I bought at was ok because it only took 2 hrs to by my car because I had already done the research and went through Costco. When I went back for my non-negotiable protection package to be installed the service advisor talked down to me and was rude. Completely ignored the chrome spots I pointed out (this was 3 weeks after purchase) and couldn't tell me what "protection" they were putting on my car or what products they use but assured me it would be fine. When I realized the smoke was NOT normal in November (purchased July 21) I took it to dealer #2 who confirmed but dismissed me to "go drive it some more". I had to wait 3 weeks for appt with dealer #3 and now here I am.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is the 3rd dealership in my area, a porter told me no one like the other two that I already tried so they have been busy getting all the service jobs in our area. To try a 4th dealer puts me driving 45+ minutes away in traffic in So Cal.
Here's the boxes of windows left in my car, my leather seat cracks (less than 6 mo old) and a link to todays smoke (1st day of oil consumption test )

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Subaru Gods have fastracked my smoke diagnosis and I dont have to complete my oil consumption test. This is such a relief, words can not express. Maybe social media and this forum helped. Thank you Subaru Gods! Hopefully things will get resolved.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Katy, what ever happened with your dealership/car troubles?
Hi, sorry I thought I followed up on my post but it was in a different thread. So Subaru came up with a plan to diagnose it was a table if this is fine check that if this is not then check this. Ultimately it ended with me needing an engine replacement. They never told me exactly what the cause was, I think it was more of a process of elimination. I had finally reached lemon law status. They offered me a settlement to keep, an exact ereplacement, or a buyback. Since I had the option I took the buy back (full refund) and downgraded from my touring to a loaded limited so I could have the bench seat I got talked out of at purchase. I had a loaner Ascent the whole time so once I switched to the 3rd dealership it wasn't a big deal just the stress of not knowing. On March 10th 2020 I picked up my 2020 Limited that was waiting for me until my buyback paper work was complete, same day turnover and got 0% interest on the new Ascent. Only at 400 miles now, so far so good! Didn't want a different car.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts