Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a story about our Ascent, started as a love affair but is not a love/hate relationship.

https://youtu.be/eUY6b6wz6tk

Thanks!
What a ordeal for having the car for just a short time. You make excuses for the dealer but let me share my story- My tail light (tailgate piece) was either starred by a rock or someone shot it with a BB. I ordered the part with took 1 month to get. I got a little money off and I ended paying 200$ for it. To be honest my son and I replaced it and it was easy. Pop the hatch trim, unplug a wiring harness and the lights are held in by a couple (3)of small suds with nuts on them. Take the nuts off and push the light out from the back. Biggest challenge was getting the hatch trim to line up and pop back in. These lights IMO are nothing different than lets say a Outback to replace. The tail gate pice is the hardest the side lens is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a story about our Ascent, started as a love affair but is not a love/hate relationship.

Thanks!
Yikes, sounds like a horrible Subaru service department you have there. I'll have to remember never to go to Subaru of Portland if I'm ever in your neck of the woods.

FYI, on that list of service appointments you show at the end, all but 2 on the list look to be for an Outback and not your Ascent :popcorn: Either that shows the further extent of the dealership's incompetence or you may have used a bit of hyperbole regarding time your Ascent spent in the shop ;).

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
As much as you praise the dealership, it sounds like those who worked on your vehicle were not competent to complete the tasks they were assigned. Over spray is easily avoidable if the vehicle is properly prepared. This is simply a matter of not be trained properly or taking sufficient time and care. Secondly, in my opinion they should never have started removing the tail light without having written instructions. They could have called Subaru to get those instructions before starting the work. I am still not clear as to how the dents on the door occurred during the tail light repair. Lastly, they should not have installed the rear interior corner panel without inspecting it for defects first. It is not the dealer's fault that the part was defective, but why install it just to have to remove it again? Dealer staff being nice is different from being competent.

The lemon law is for time not having the vehicle for the SAME defect. In this case it has turned into multiple issues.

For Oregon:

• The manufacturer or agents and dealers were unable to repair the same defect after 3 attempts or more.
  • The automobile has been out of service for at least 30 business days.
    OR
  • There is a nonconformity that is likely to cause death or serious injury and was not repaired after 1 attempt.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Thanks!
That stinks about the electric issue. Those are the worst when they happen.

The issues the dealer caused from the taillights is a bit excessive. You seem like a very positive person, but the dealership is being careless and even though they are apologetic they shouldn't be causing damage to your car to this degree.

Based on your description of what they took apart it was the taillight reflector on the tailgate that had water if I am not mistaken. Those shouldn't have leaks, but they are non electrical.

In regards to the dealer not knowing how to take it apart since it is a new car is a bit of an overstatement and I think you are being very nice about your dealership. I bought a new ascent July 4th and in August I chipped the tailgate taking of my badges. I made it worse when I tried to fix it. I took it to an independent body shop, one of the best in my area. They had to take the taillight reflectors and chrome trim off so that they could repaint the bottom half of the tailgate. They wanted to cut off the clear under the trim piece so that they wouldn't have to blend. They paint matched the tailgate so well (on a white car) that I couldn't even tell you and I am super picky. They didn't want to blend because the car was only a month old. They warned me that there is the potential of them breaking the chrome trim taking it off. After the work was done they said it was super easy to take off and it was a non issue. So if an independent shop can take it all off without any damage I find it surprising that a dealership couldn't do the same. A month in and this shop already had the body repair manual for the Ascent.

I avoid dealership body shops because they are not the best. I think at this point you should find your own shop have them look at the quality of work and get you an estimate to bring your car paint back to factory. Then take it to the dealer. This seems negligent on their part.

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
That's not what happened - wish I knew what did...

Thanks!
Who painted it and caused the overspray? Looks more like swirled in wax - did the dealership detail the car? The car doesn't hit the paint shop fully built. Pieces get built, painted, and then assembled, pre-painted.

Any "overspray" wasn't at SIA, but was after the car was delivered to the dealer.

Here, you can get glimpses of the pre-painted body, pre-painted doors, etc, being assembled. Even struts and major components go in on pre-painted bodies.

So sorry to see your problems, but, it wasn't Subaru Indiana Automotive/SoA.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I couldn't even finish the video because you keep assigning blame to the wrong party. Subaru replaced your non-functional parts, but the dealer caused all of the body damage and resulting paint damage while fixing the body damage they created. I don't understand why you keep standing up for the dealer when they caused 90% of your issues. Find a different dealership immediately. And find a better body shop.

Reactions: woodcan

·
Registered
968 Posts
The car doesn't hit the paint shop fully built. Pieces get built, painted, and then assembled, pre-painted.

Any "overspray" wasn't at SIA, but was after the car was delivered to the dealer.

Here, you can get glimpses of the pre-painted body, pre-painted doors, etc, being assembled. Even struts and major components go in on pre-painted bodies.
Proper terminology.
White bodies - the welded metal structure of the car as it comes off the body shop final inspection line before it goes into paint.
Painted bodies - the welded metal structure of the car after it comes from the paint shop, before it drops down into trim & final.

The STRUCTURE of the car is assembled, welded together, and that all gets dunked and painted as an entity. So, the undercarriage, fenders, door panels, hood, rear gate - basically all of the body panels. That's what gets painted together. That's one reason it's VERY easy to see if a hood has been removed from a car - since it's painted ON the car, if someone takes those bolts out, they'll never line the paint marks up exactly.

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
Proper terminology.
White bodies - the welded metal structure of the car as it comes off the body shop final inspection line before it goes into paint.
Painted bodies - the welded metal structure of the car after it comes from the paint shop, before it drops down into trim & final.

The STRUCTURE of the car is assembled, welded together, and that all gets dunked and painted as an entity. So, the undercarriage, fenders, door panels, hood, rear gate - basically all of the body panels. That's what gets painted together. That's one reason it's VERY easy to see if a hood has been removed from a car - since it's painted ON the car, if someone takes those bolts out, they'll never line the paint marks up exactly.
Currently, doors are welded, painted, and then interior panels are assembled onto the doors, and glass into the doors, and trim onto the doors, and then they are bolted onto the cars.

·
Super Moderator
866 Posts
That's an interesting video, thanks for sharing it @toycarcollector

Not everything is rainbows and unicorns. I suppose you're right, any new never before model will have some growing pains, but I do think you've been pretty good about the inconvenience. People can only take so much before they lose it! I've watched a couple of Tesla 3 rollout videos and they seem like they have some actual assembly issues from the factory... as Robert pointed out the issues don't mean that SOA is the cause behind the paint issues, but I suppose if there's a problem with the design of the taillight itself it could come back to a design flaw - kind of like how much Outback's third brake light (the high one) took on water after about 7 years when the gasket wore away... the redesign changed how that is mounted and will never, ever be an issue again because it goes under the lip rather than flush with the roof.

I'm curious if they make a change before the midcycle redesign.

I'm still watching everything pretty closely, because I'm in a lease for 3 years as a test of the Forester since I never drove one before, but I can say this after about 4 months in the 2019 Foz: I would prefer something bigger. So, the redesign year for the Ascent (2021? 22?) would be nearly ideal timing as I can get out of my lease anywhere from July of 2021 until it matures in January of 2022...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Currently, doors are welded, painted, and then interior panels are assembled onto the doors, and glass into the doors, and trim onto the doors, and then they are bolted onto the cars.
Unless they've changed something - they go through paint ON the cars, and at the very first trim station (which was upstairs, not down on the actual floor), they take the doors OFF the cars, so they can send them to door line for sub-assembly, and then they meet back up with the car where they're bolted on.

SIA | schedule - Scroll through the images. Cars with doors on in paint shop.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Someone asked why was I blaming SUBARU for the issues caused by my dealers service department. It is because if the parts were not defective the chain of events at the dealership would have never occurred. That is the entire theme of the video. Our Ascent would not be in the shop but for the defective parts. At this point I feel the biggest mistake we made was buying a top of the line model from a middle of the line car company. The expectations for quality and service for a $47,000 car is much higher that for a car that cost half that which is what Subaru is know for. My dealer is use to churning cars quickly in the the service department not for providing white glove treatment. Most Subaru cars in the shop are well worn. Ours is an expensive princess and needs tender loving care. Should have know better than to expect Lexus level of service. Better to realize that at best the level of care would be more towards the bottom end of a models cost. So if you can buy a base Ascent near $30k but instead choose the top level near $47K your not going to get any extra special care for the extra money spent. Still I love the car and the wife hates it.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Someone asked why was I blaming SUBARU for the issues caused by my dealers service department. It is because if the parts were not defective the chain of events at the dealership would have never occurred. That is the entire theme of the video. Our Ascent would not be in the shop but for the defective parts. At this point I feel the biggest mistake we made was buying a top of the line model from a middle of the line car company. The expectations for quality and service for a $47,000 car is much higher that for a car that cost half that which is what Subaru is know for. My dealer is use to churning cars quickly in the the service department not for providing white glove treatment. Most Subaru cars in the shop are well worn. Ours is an expensive princess and needs tender loving care. Should have know better than to expect Lexus level of service. Better to realize that at best the level of care would be more towards the bottom end of a models cost. So if you can buy a base Ascent near $30k but instead choose the top level near $47K your not going to get any extra special care for the extra money spent. Still I love the car and the wife hates it.
I don't think you accurately make such a blanket assessment about Subaru service. After eight months, my Ascent has not yet been in for service, but every time I brought in my Forester I was given white glove service over the course of ten years, long after the warranty expired.

The car rarely needed service, as it was one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned, but when it did need something such as a State inspection or brakes, I could schedule it on the phone or online for a time of my convenience. When I arrived, I pulled my car into a clean, warm, dry staging area where I was personally greeted right at my car door by a service representative who took my information and processed me quickly no matter how busy they were. I waited in a beautiful, upscale showroom where I could choose from two levels of clean, ultra-comfortable waiting areas. There were free wifi and cable TV. I sat in a leather armchair in front of a warm fireplace with free high-quality snacks and beverages. It was so comfortable and quiet, I and other customers often fell asleep.

I was given a pager to tell me the minute the car was ready, and I never waited an unreasonable amount of time. I was never overcharged and no repairs were ever made without my pre-approval. If additional work was ever needed, the service rep would come to me in the waiting area and explain everything in detail. I was never pressured in any way. Repairs were always professionally done and the car never damaged in any way, not so much as a minor scratch. When my car was ready, it was waiting for me back inside the staging area. It was washed and vacuumed at no charge and one of those expensive, locally hand-made cookies was always waiting for me inside the car.

This is the best service I've ever received from any dealer, no matter what the brand or cost. It was always an excellent experience there and one of the reasons I decided to buy another Subaru.

So service obviously varies from dealer to dealer, I don't think you can blame your service experience exclusively on Subaru nor call it typical of Subaru. All makes of cars will have defective parts and problems, high scale cars are certainly no exception. Consumer Reports currently ranks Subaru #2 in reliability whereas brands such as Infiniti, Acura, Mercedes, Volvo, Tesla, and Cadillac are all rated toward the bottom. I'm sorry your experience was so bad, but please don't allude other Subaru owners are in for the same thing. My experience has been quite the opposite.

·
Registered
422 Posts
And hopefully we're all remembering that "Lexus" is actually Toyota. Holding up Japanese "luxury" brands as some sort of "top-shelf" paradigm is perhaps not the most appropriate comparison. Heck, as far as I'm concerned, holding up the more mainstream Euro-luxury brands (BMW, MB, LandRover, etc... ) is fairly unconvincing as the "white glove" treament starts to lose it's charm after dealing with poor reliability and over-priced parts and labor. The reality is that most brands can have dealers and associated service departments that are high quality and supremely competant, and they can also have dealers/service depts that are uncaring and incompetent. One of the "features" that I look for when buying a car is the quality of the dealership with whom I'm looking to build a business relationship. Shout out to Brown's Subaru in Manassas VA for being the all-around best dealership I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with. I have no fear of anything breaking on any Subaru I buy from them, because they have proven to me that hey are willing to do all in their power and more to make me a happy (and repeat) customer. In return, I've purchased three cars from them in the last 4 years. Win/win.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the process of applying the Florida Lemon Law to my 2019 Ascent with 6,000 miles. All the below warning lights come on and the car began driving like you are running over 2 in high warning bumps. Second time to leave it at the dealer. This time it has been there for over 14 days!

And as for Lemons in Florida here are three 2019 Ascents that have made it through the very long process!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
New here... But I'm trying to decide if they should buy my Ascent back or replace it.

We have a 2019 Touring. Purchased at the end of June with less than 3100 miles on it. It's been in the shop 4 times for the same issue, and mostly been in the shop since October awaiting parts. First they thought it was transmission and we had to wait for one, while waiting, they flashed the computer and said that fixed it (it did not) and cancelled the transmission. Now they think fuel injectors and we are still waiting on those. We were told we do quality for lemon law. I loved the Ascent, it's my 3rd Subaru, but honestly I am super fun shy about swamping it out. The loaner ascent I am driving is showing similar issues.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you really like the Ascent, I would think a late model build should have the bugs worked out. I'd take the swap if offered and ask them to throw in the 120,000 mile warranty for your troubles.
What other vehicle were you thinking of getting if not the Ascent and take the buy-back?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you really like the Ascent, I would think a late model build should have the bugs worked out. I'd take the swap if offered and ask them to throw in the 120,000 mile warranty for your troubles.
What other vehicle were you thinking of getting if not the Ascent and take the buy-back?
That's the problem, I drove several cars in June when I picked the Ascent and didn't like any of them :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
That's the problem, I drove several cars in June when I picked the Ascent and didn't like any of them :)
Then consider the Subaru simply for it's resale value. They seem to hold resale value pretty well. Then when someone does build something you can't do without, you'll have a nice trade in or private sell.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts