Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is where subaru should shine!
Got stories? Let’s here them! How much did you lose and how easy was the process?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I consider two minor details when talking about this.

One, in all the time I've been here, we've actually only had ONE car that we had to use the lemon law on. It was a WRX with a bad transmission that ate engines.

Two, we've been seeing cars at auction that come from California where the car has nearly 50,000 miles on it that suddenly are buy-backs and/or lemons - because the California lemon law ends up allowing for abuses of the system. Note that this is NOT just limited to Subaru brand, we end up getting different brands for our used inventory at auction.

I think a part of this is simply due to our conquest customers - people who weren't previously Subaru owners and aren't used to our quirks.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m gladly looking to replace the car if they think it will fix it and transmission problem not just keep showing up. Just curious what the loss to me is. They are working up both scenarios. Apparently I’m already at the LL qualifications it’s just where we go from here.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I consider two minor details when talking about this.
Two, we've been seeing cars at auction that come from California where the car has nearly 50,000 miles on it that suddenly are buy-backs and/or lemons - because the California lemon law ends up allowing for abuses of the system. Note that this is NOT just limited to Subaru brand, we end up getting different brands for our used inventory at auction.

I can relate to the California lemon law. My wife leased an Audi A6 and it had a motor oil leak. She kept bringing it back to the dealer for this issue and they never were able to fix it (5+ visits, all documented). This happened over the course of 32 months. My wife was contacted by a lawyer who suggested filing for a lemon. Not sure how the lawyer knew about this situation. Lawyer said she wouldn't have to pay him unless she won a settlement. She said sure why not go for it. She ended up getting all her money back that she had paid for the lease, and returned the car at 35 months, about 1 month before she was due to return the car for the lease expiring. So, basically she drove the car for free for 35 months (minus the maintenance and gas).

·
Registered
647 Posts
I’m gladly looking to replace the car if they think it will fix it and transmission problem not just keep showing up. Just curious what the loss to me is. They are working up both scenarios. Apparently I’m already at the LL qualifications it’s just where we go from here.
Based on the limited number of issues at this time I'd be surprised if it didn't fix it. I've never had to deal with anything like this but in my biased opinion there should just be a straight swap as if you've had the new car the entire time. Just get everything transferred over to the new VIN and keep going. Maybe I'm biased towards unreasonable but I bought a new car with a warranty and shouldn't be out any extra money because of a failure.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am not a commercial nor work for them... But if you have a Lemon, call 1800LemonLaw they assisted me with a previous non-Subaru vehicle. They take the guesswork out of it.

Luckily a "lemon" is not the norm and many great Subaru Ascent stories are out there.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Based on the limited number of issues at this time I'd be surprised if it didn't fix it. I've never had to deal with anything like this but in my biased opinion there should just be a straight swap as if you've had the new car the entire time. Just get everything transferred over to the new VIN and keep going. Maybe I'm biased towards unreasonable but I bought a new car with a warranty and shouldn't be out any extra money because of a failure.
With most companies this is actually the best possible route to take. Makes a customer very happy with the brand and saves the company lots of social media drama. Twitter is watched by companies like it could take down the company. In reality they should be watching all the major Social media outlets. Brand damage is hard to fix when a lemon causes a customer to loose money and have to deal with taking a broken product to the dealer multiple times or worse having a major trip ruined by a faulty product.

·
Registered
592 Posts
With most companies this is actually the best possible route to take. Makes a customer very happy with the brand and saves the company lots of social media drama. Twitter is watched by companies like it could take down the company. In reality they should be watching all the major Social media outlets. Brand damage is hard to fix when a lemon causes a customer to loose money and have to deal with taking a broken product to the dealer multiple times or worse having a major trip ruined by a faulty product.
This right here. Keeping a customer happy and not complaining is more important at times than companies realize. You never know when you have that one customer who will make a huge stink and cause media outlets to pick it up. I know that Ford reacted quickly when I complained on Twitter and they really made everything right when my car was in the shop years ago.

As far as the California laws I wonder if sometimes the reason this happens is companies will keep pushing something off so they keep the money and you are the one inconvienced and the laws they passed stop that but as with any law some people will take advantage. I always think of how Costco used to guarantee TVs but had to stop when people were breaking TVs on purpose to get the latest and greatest along with cash back due to the price drops. I knew someone at work who broke his TV each year and just get a new one and cash back and this was when Plasmas cost 13K. It ruined it for everyone else.

·
Registered
978 Posts
This right here. Keeping a customer happy and not complaining is more important at times than companies realize. You never know when you have that one customer who will make a huge stink and cause media outlets to pick it up. I know that Ford reacted quickly when I complained on Twitter and they really made everything right when my car was in the shop years ago.

As far as the California laws I wonder if sometimes the reason this happens is companies will keep pushing something off so they keep the money and you are the one inconvienced and the laws they passed stop that but as with any law some people will take advantage. I always think of how Costco used to guarantee TVs but had to stop when people were breaking TVs on purpose to get the latest and greatest along with cash back due to the price drops. I knew someone at work who broke his TV each year and just get a new one and cash back and this was when Plasmas cost 13K. It ruined it for everyone else.

It has nothing to do with CA lemon law and everything to do with numbers. CA Auto market is the largest in the US. You sell enough vehicles you’ll get more lemons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Ascent a Lemon?

Purchased my Ascent 20 days ago. Been back at the dealer longer than in my possession. Mile #4, air bag light on dash, faulty sensor. Mile #150, Starlink Failure. Vehicle so new, parts are hard to come by and technicians don't have experience with repairs and diagnosis.

Still don't have my new Ascent back. When I do get it back, what's going to go wrong next? Can I trust the vehicle? Very disappointed.....

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Purchased my Ascent 20 days ago. Been back at the dealer longer than in my possession. Mile #4, air bag light on dash, faulty sensor. Mile #150, Starlink Failure. Vehicle so new, parts are hard to come by and technicians don't have experience with repairs and diagnosis.

Still don't have my new Ascent back. When I do get it back, what's going to go wrong next? Can I trust the vehicle? Very disappointed.....
Don't worry, I've owned a few cars that got off to a rough start but then were very dependable. Hang in there.

·
Banned
146 Posts

Your problems are the top 5 problems for all makes and models. Electrical and safety equipment failures are near at the top of problems with all cars. The chances of you getting your money back and going to brand X and still have the same problems are not zero.

Safety system are fail safe system. All manufactures will error on the safe side with safety systems. I would rather have them fix it an keep the fixed system, them have to take the reroll and get another car with the same problems.

·
Registered
227 Posts

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I've been in similar situations with other brands in the past. I know that it's *incredibly frustrating*, makes you feel down about the purchase and colors what should be an exciting time. We all want to take pride and feel good about our decision to make an expensive vehicle purchase. If I can add a recommendation? Please call SOA, and ask them to open a file on your new Ascent and tell them of your disappointment and frustration with the number of failures and length of time it's been at the dealership. Be polite but direct. And if the person you speak to doesn't seem to be responding appropriately, then ask for a supervisor. I believe that for Subaru, sometimes the "squeaky wheel" gets the grease more quickly this way! I hope your dealership and Subaru can get you back on the road soon and enjoying your new Ascent. I look forward to hearing some good news in the near future! Be well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally got my Ascent back. Now I'm unable to remote start through My Subaru App. And by the way, we noticed that your passenger side speaker wasn't even hooked up from the factory.

Called Subaru of America, they called Starlink, "your brand new Starlink isn't working or hasn't been installed correctly".

Dealer ordered me a new car, but it will take two months! What a joke, my time, frustration, upsetting, disappointed...... You buy a new car, and it's back at the dealership longer than in my possession. Hope Subaru of America will take care of me.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Finally got my Ascent back. Now I'm unable to remote start through My Subaru App. And by the way, we noticed that your passenger side speaker wasn't even hooked up from the factory.

Called Subaru of America, they called Starlink, "your brand new Starlink isn't working or hasn't been installed correctly".

Dealer ordered me a new car, but it will take two months! What a joke, my time, frustration, upsetting, disappointed...... You buy a new car, and it's back at the dealership longer than in my possession. Hope Subaru of America will take care of me.
On the remote start via app. I was out for 2 months with this issue but it was on their side. The car was disabled in their database. Make sure that's not the issue. It would not show up on the mobile app for me and was odd on the mysubaru.com website.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts