Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've read about not leaving the hatch open which seems a huge issue but I figured I was just smart enough to not leave it open.....apparently I'm not that smart. :(
Is there a trick to shifting into neutral so we can push it out of the garage to get to the other car to jump start it? I have no idea how this works! We just missed our once a year church conference and I'm not such a happy person this morning. I would sure love to be able to get to some of it if we can just get the other car to it.
Sorry about the car ignorance! Suggestions appreciated. This is definitely a bad thing to have it drain just from leaving the hatch open on a brand new vehicle. 30 years of cars and I've never had this happen.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
OK, I've read about not leaving the hatch open which seems a huge issue but I figured I was just smart enough to not leave it open.....apparently I'm not that smart. :(
Is there a trick to shifting into neutral so we can push it out of the garage to get to the other car to jump start it? I have no idea how this works! We just missed our once a year church conference and I'm not such a happy person this morning. I would sure love to be able to get to some of it if we can just get the other car to it.
Sorry about the car ignorance! Suggestions appreciated. This is definitely a bad thing to have it drain just from leaving the hatch open on a brand new vehicle. 30 years of cars and I've never had this happen.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
803 Posts
See the procedure below, it is on page 336 of my 2019 owners manual.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Or if the battery is so dead you can't get that to work, you might string two jumper cables to get the length. Be super careful not to short them together - years ago for another jump situation, we did this using a block of wood to keep the clamps separated stably (clamped one set to opposite ends of the block, then clamped the like-colors to the first clamps).

Not recommended if you are at all uncomfortable doing this - some electrical savvy is helpful.

F.S.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks! The emergency road service person came just as we found the right part in the manual. He did exactly as suggested to back it out but in the process he got a lecture from a momma about using the right tool for the right job.
See the photo for more info. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
Everyone who ones a car should have a battery charger.
Cars should just come with one the way they come with a spare tire.
I tried to buy one on fb marketplace a while back. It was the only product I’ve ever seen people asking almost retail price and aren’t willing to negotiate!

·
Registered
965 Posts
We need a fix for the battery drain issue ASAP. It’s ridiculous.
I realize that a lot of people are leaving the doors open, but ... has anyone never left the dome light on before, and had this happen in another vehicle?

My 1971 Pontiac Bonneville, I remember doing that, where just the dome light ran the car battery down in a day. I freely admit it was deep winter, but batteries will only hold so much charge. You put a continuous drain on them, it's on YOU, not on the car, to accept that you goofed and left the door open (or did it on purpose, but you could still disconnect the battery or put in a bigger battery or carry a portable jump box).

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
but ... has anyone never left the dome light on before, and had this happen in another vehicle?
After switching to LED dome lights I’ve noticed my kids have left dome lights on for days at a time. Still starts right up! That was one of the main reasons I switched to LED’s.
My ‘98 Bimmer however will drain its battery overnight with just the trunk light left on, which has a conventional bulb.
Just to clarify for anyone new here, the primary cause of liftgate battery drain isn’t the interior lights being left on.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I realize that a lot of people are leaving the doors open, but ... has anyone never left the dome light on before, and had this happen in another vehicle?

My 1971 Pontiac Bonneville, I remember doing that, where just the dome light ran the car battery down in a day. I freely admit it was deep winter, but batteries will only hold so much charge. You put a continuous drain on them, it's on YOU, not on the car, to accept that you goofed and left the door open (or did it on purpose, but you could still disconnect the battery or put in a bigger battery or carry a portable jump box).
I have to disagree with you on this one, Carl.

Leaving a door open accidentally for a stupidly long stretch is certainly on me.

But purposefully wanting to leave the rear hatch open for tailgating is a very reasonable Subie-user scenario. Having the battery die because of the super high amp draw of an open hatch in this scenario (and I'm turning off the interior lights, so it's just the hatch) is something I think Subaru should look into addressing. I hear it's something about sensors, but it is not apparent to me what the hatch is sensing when it's open. And requiring that customers pay out of pocket for higher capacity and/or better quality batteries in order to be able to leave the hatch open for several hours - that doesn't seem reasonable to me.

F.S.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Agree. My neighbor is doing some home renovation and has been leaving the hatch of her Honda SUV open all day long with impunity. I'm envious.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi danaa, Any vehicle that uses a battery as starting or backup power will eventually drain if the lights are left on long enough. Please forget the old fashioned jumper cable process. Buy the new portable jump starter. Mine is the small lithium ion type battery with short cables. Bought mine from Costco. It even has a built in led light. Charge it at home using AC power and store it in the glove compartment or under the seat until you need it. I don’t recommend storing it under the rear floor compartment. If the vehicle battery goes dead you might have a problem accessing the jump starter. Good luck!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi danaa, Any vehicle that uses a battery as starting or backup power will eventually drain if the lights are left on long enough. Please forget the old fashioned jumper cable process. Buy the new portable jump starter. Mine is the small lithium ion type battery with short cables. Bought mine from Costco. It even has a built in led light. Charge it at home using AC power and store it in the glove compartment or under the seat until you need it. I don’t recommend storing it under the rear floor compartment. If the vehicle battery goes dead you might have a problem accessing the jump starter. Good luck!
This has nothing to do with lights being left on. This has to do with the hatch being open with no lights on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It would be nice if all cars DID come with a spare tire!! About 30% of new cars don't have one, which is a policy I highly disagree with.

I carry a portable battery jump start kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How long does the hatch need to be open to experience this?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.