Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought the 7440 & 7443 SiriusLED RLS series with built in resistor on Amazon for around $65.
Both front and rear signal work beautifully without any hyper flash in a 15 minutes test. No modification need for the car. I might wait until temperature gets hotter to test if it will eventually start hyper flash or not. Hopefully these bulbs will last. Full LEDs on the car now ;)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I sincerely hope they work out long term! I tried another brand when I first got my Ascent in '18. They worked at first but eventually went haywire. The 'traditional' style 50w resistors normally used are large and get super hot, but they're reliable. I don't know the technology behind the "built-in resistor" for these bulbs and how they work around the thermodynamics issue. Do you happen to know how they work? I'm always curious to see how/if technology improves with these plug-n-play LEDs. They were so bad 10 years ago! Now they're pretty good.

Eventually I went with VLEDS resistors and turn signal LEDs. I later upgraded the rears to Xenon Depot's Extreme VF bulbs. They're very much like VLEDs Tritons, but I had a coupon for the XD bulbs at the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sincerely hope they work out long term! I tried another brand when I first got my Ascent in '18. They worked at first but eventually went haywire. The 'traditional' style 50w resistors normally used are large and get super hot, but they're reliable. I don't know the technology behind the "built-in resistor" for these bulbs and how they work around the thermodynamics issue. Do you happen to know how they work? I'm always curious to see how/if technology improves with these plug-n-play LEDs. They were so bad 10 years ago! Now they're pretty good.

Eventually I went with VLEDS resistors and turn signal LEDs. I later upgraded the rears to Xenon Depot's Extreme VF bulbs. They're very much like VLEDs Tritons, but I had a coupon for the XD bulbs at the time.

I changed all bulbs to LEDs except the turn signal back in early 2019, at that time I can hardly find any LED turn signal bulb without any modification. SiriusLED is the only one on the market I believe has the built in resistor function, but the review is mixed on Amazon. I really don’t want to tap the wire. RLS series is their second generation with built in resistor, on paper it looks better than the first generation. I pulled the trigger and ordered these bulbs, got the chance to put it in and they look good. These bulbs are quite heavy, as it states all aluminum craft which leads to good heat dissipation. I don’t know how it works, maybe it has built in chip to prevent hyper flash, but so far works great.
Tap with resistor is really a old style, I think newer cars with built in led turn signal that either use relay or on board computer to simulate the flash.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, w/ Tech Package
60 Posts
Subaru now uses the Body Integrated Unit computer to control the turn signal flashing. There's no relay anymore. I did try one of those built-in resistor bulbs before on my Ascent and while they blinked normally while the engine was off, they hyper-flashed once the engine was running. I returned them and went with the ones that had an inline resistor that I used on my old '16 Legacy. I went back to Amazon to view which one I bought originally and the seller had changed the bulb design to include a heatsink on the back of the bulb to handle the heat dissipation from the resistor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Subaru now uses the Body Integrated Unit computer to control the turn signal flashing. There's no relay anymore. I did try one of those built-in resistor bulbs before on my Ascent and while they blinked normally while the engine was off, they hyper-flashed once the engine was running. I returned them and went with the ones that had an inline resistor that I used on my old '16 Legacy. I went back to Amazon to view which one I bought originally and the seller had changed the bulb design to include a heatsink on the back of the bulb to handle the heat dissipation from the resistor.
A lot of sellers claim their led turn signal bulbs are built in resistor, the one that looks like regular led bulb without any external component, but actually it's just a canbus decoder, just to confuse people. I tested these sets of bulbs with both engine on and off, it works fine. I will report after 6 moths of usage. Hopefully they will last.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A lot of sellers claim their led turn signal bulbs are built in resistor, the one that looks like regular led bulb without any external component, but actually it's just a canbus decoder, just to confuse people. I tested these sets of bulbs with both engine on and off, it works fine. I will report after 6 moths of usage. Hopefully they will last.
I know it hasn’t been 6 months yet but any updates on hyper flash with the bulbs you’re using? I was thinking about these but not sure if they’ll work.

·
Super Moderator
2,590 Posts
I know it hasn’t been 6 months yet but any updates on hyper flash with the bulbs you’re using? I was thinking about these but not sure if they’ll work.
Personally I’d stay away from the ones with built in resistors. The bulb housing isn’t ideal as a heat sink and the led can deteriorate with heat. I believe I used one of these at each corner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Personally I’d stay away from the ones with built in resistors. The bulb housing isn’t ideal as a heat sink and the led can deteriorate with heat. I believe I used one of these at each corner.
Yeah I’ve used resistors in my previous cars as well and they all got extremely hot. I’d be afraid of melting other components in the engine bay which is why I thought I’d try bulbs with built in resistors. Don’t have much experience with them but figured they might not run as hot as stand-alone resistors.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they work great as rear turn signal since I got them first, and when the front pair arrived, I plugged them in and turn the hazard light on, and they work great, very bright and no hyperflashing for over 30 minutes. I didn't use the car for a while. And then, a buyer from Amazon left a review said that if you put all front and rear led in the car, the hazard mode will work great, but individual turn will start hyperflashing. I went out and tried on my car, surely it will hyperflashing when I make left or rear turn, maybe the temperature issue. So, I put the halogen bulb back in the front and kept the rear led for now and they work great so far, I am still searching for the front solution.

·
Registered
58 Posts
they work great as rear turn signal since I got them first, and when the front pair arrived, I plugged them in and turn the hazard light on, and they work great, very bright and no hyperflashing for over 30 minutes. I didn't use the car for a while. And then, a buyer from Amazon left a review said that if you put all front and rear led in the car, the hazard mode will work great, but individual turn will start hyperflashing. I went out and tried on my car, surely it will hyperflashing when I make left or rear turn, maybe the temperature issue. So, I put the halogen bulb back in the front and kept the rear led for now and they work great so far, I am still searching for the front solution.
Did you contact SIRIUSled about the flashing?

·
Super Moderator
2,590 Posts
Is there any update to LEDs that will work in the turn signal/hazzard lights?
These have worked well for me for the last year and a half

I use them in the front and rear along with a vlr pro resistor at each bulb

The resistors mount to the car easily using installed tape and are basically self splicing. The bulbs are bright and have been reliable.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I've got the VLEDS resitors linked in the previous post. For the front turn signals, I have been using the amber version of these lights (amber looks unavailable right now): HIGH OUTPUT WHITE 6 LED BACK-UP LIGHT 7440

In the rear, the VLEDs I just linked were not bright enough in my opinion. I don't like to do mods that make anything function worse (tinted tail lights, blacked out reflectors, etc.). Instead of using VLEDs triton LEDS, like in my previous Outback, I decided to try these. They're less money (but still expensive) and have an adjustable "filament". The little boxes and the resistors all fit behind the tail light housings just fine. The large heat sink area of the VLEDS resistors also keeps them relatively cooler than the "naked" resistors you see out there. I ran my hazards for ~15 minutes to test the temp and everything was good. Here are the lights: Bright Light 7440 Xtreme VF LED Bulbs Are Here I Xenon Depot

Those would probably be awesome in the front as well, but the LEDs I already have up there are at least as good as OEM. I might swap them out someday...

·
Registered
34 Posts
The following combination works for my 2020 Ascent:
Front: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B083WHS12Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rear: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0828YSH6R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Resistor: https://www.amazon.ca/TUINCYN-2pcs-...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

The LED I used for the front is a dual color one but the white light will not come up because there is no power to the socket when the turn signal is off. You can just choose an amber LED bulb with similar power consumption and it should work fine.

The resistor itself is a plug and play solution so no need to damage the original wires. However, because the plug is exposed, you need to use electrical tape to cover the plug to prevent corrosion. This combination only requires resistor at the front. And instead of screwing it to the body, I simply use a copper wire to strap it to the chassis.

Here is the outcome:

·
Registered
500 Posts
I went the SIRIUS route a few months ago. I get a consistent Hyperflash on the driver side, and about 25% of the time on the passenger side. They are nice and bright. Since I don't drive much I havent bothered to change them or add a resistor.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Does having the Tow Package installed, change anything on the blinkers ? Trailer indicators would add extra load and cause the rate to change. My 98 Dodge truck, with tow package, was impervious to bulb flashing rate regardless of the load.
Additionally, maybe resistors can be installed on the tow connectors, keeping the heat out of the bulb housings. Just thinking out loud.

Just seems wrong to convert to LED's to save power and then burn it as heat in load resistors

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
Does having the Tow Package installed, change anything on the blinkers ?
I do not believe there are any changes because the electtrica side of the hitch receiver kit is merely a pigtail that "completes" the wiring that exists from the factory.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I went the SIRIUS route a few months ago. I get a consistent Hyperflash on the driver side, and about 25% of the time on the passenger side. They are nice and bright. Since I don't drive much I havent bothered to change them or add a resistor.
Today while driving, the right side would not work at all. I am unsure if this is at all related to my recent battery issues, but I am in the process of ordering VLEDs for the front and back and getting rid of the SIRIUS junk.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts