Subaru Ascent Forum banner

121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hello looking for a few answers after reading the posts.
1. What led bulb works best for the trunk light and cause no interference problems?

2. I tried to get these answers from the company, but they blew me off by saying the liftgate light is not for the ascent. Here goes: why does it appear the lift gate fuse blows at first? Is it readily accessible if it blows while installed? Is it even necessary since the line is fused? How does it operate?

3. Anyone install the Subaru blue footwell kit and recommend it? I can’t undrrstand step 19 from just looking st the instruction sheet? Can anyone clarify what goes where? I see it as one kit harness plugs into #2 socket, and the other kit harness joins the number 2 plug?
Thanks,
Andrewn

·
Registered
141 Posts
1. What led bulb works best for the trunk light and cause no interference problems?

2. I tried to get these answers from the company, but they blew me off by saying the liftgate light is not for the ascent. Here goes: why does it appear the lift gate fuse blows at first? Is it readily accessible if it blows while installed? Is it even necessary since the line is fused? How does it operate?

3. Anyone install the Subaru blue footwell kit and recommend it? I can’t undrrstand step 19 from just looking st the instruction sheet? Can anyone clarify what goes where? I see it as one kit harness plugs into #2 socket, and the other kit harness joins the number 2 plug?
Thanks,
Andrewn

Well I can answer number 3 as I just had the footwell illumination kit installed in my Ascent. I will take some photos shortly for you. The lights are controlled by the instrument illumination adjustment knob and only comes on when lights are on. So far I would say the illumination is very subtle not over powering but not enough light to find some missing coins on the floor. It looks cool in my opinion but now that I have it I would say it was a total splurge and not woth the money spent! They are cheaper alternatives.

·
Registered
141 Posts
No problem, it looks good in person but definitely not worth the price they charge if I can redo this purchase I think I would have went with the Diode Dynamics or another brand kit. Only positive I have is the work is warranted with the car.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Thanks,
Andrewn
For 1 and 2, look up thread called "lift gate light help".

No problem, it looks good in person but definitely not worth the price they charge if I can redo this purchase I think I would have went with the Diode Dynamics or another brand kit. Only positive I have is the work is warranted with the car.
For 3, I got the footwell light accessory, paid over $200 for it to be installed, and IMO it sucks. It is so faint you barely notice it. I went ahead and bought the diode dynamics universal LED footwell kit and that is way better. It is super bright, you can dim it as you please and obviously it has other colors. I would recommend just getting the diode dynamics kit. I think you can get it for $60 or so. I also bought the 2nd row footwell kit, but haven't installed it because I haven't figured out a good place to mount it that doesn't expose the light or the wires when you are getting into the 2nd row from the ground.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Thanks,
Andrewn
For 1 and 2, look up thread called "lift gate light help".

For 3, I got the footwell light accessory, paid over $200 for it to be installed, and IMO it sucks. It is so faint you barely notice it. I went ahead and bought the diode dynamics universal LED footwell kit and that is way better. It is super bright, you can dim it as you please and obviously it has other colors. I would recommend just getting the diode dynamics kit. I think you can get it for $60 or so. I also bought the 2nd row footwell kit, but haven't installed it because I haven't figured out a good place to mount it that doesn't expose the light or the wires when you are getting into the 2nd row from the ground.

Hit the nail on the head about the footwell kit! I spent about 175 and totally regretting the decision now lol I could have purchased the Autodimming Mirrors with the LED logo

·
Banned
71 Posts
So I read the thread but still don’t know the answer - need to get led for the side light in trunk both superb-rite and diode dynamics have no 2019 catelog choices yet. Which bulb replaces the existing side trunk bulb in the touring ascent?
Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
How Many (Insert Ethnic Group) Does it Take to Change a Map light?

Three- one to crush the old bulb while removing it, one to get bandaids, and one to google how to remove the cover of the Eyesight system.
I hesitated removing the Eyesight cover after all the warnings of the need to recalibrate if Eyesight system is removed. I can now tell you that the Eyesight cameras and system are bolted securely to the roof frame, so removing the plastic covers around the switches and map lights doesn't affect the Eyesight calibration.
Yes, I was able to remove the map light socket from the back of the eyesight cover, pry out the base of the old bulb, and replace with the intended LED bulb.
I like the look of the first four, so I'm on a roll.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Can someone verify if the 194 size trunk bulb is a can bus or not. I see pics of both types being used. I’m looking to buy the proper led replacement but was looking at other than the diode dynamics brand. Possibly Super- brite.

Sites point out that Can bus bulbs are used in systems that tell you a light bulb is out- does the ascent do that?

On another note thanks for the footwell feedback- I skipped it. Added the dimming mirrors was an easy install provided a lot of light.

Put on splash guards - wished they provided all of the clips or what ever they are as new, but some get reused.

I’m on the fence about the light on the trunk - need to balance its usefulness against the obvious ripoff price and problems people have with the failed fuse- and the companies absolute arrogance version of customer service. Anyone think it’s great after having it for a while?
Thanks Andrew

·
Registered
542 Posts
My led bulbs that work, are non canbus.

I would not do the overhead led again from Subiespeed. It’s a great light to light up the ground when loading, but if you’re taller than 5’6” your head blocks the light if you’re looking for stuff in the back. Too much labor to take it out and it’s better than the oem light though.

It’s an undiffused LED panel as well. So it’s a harsh light that gets projected.

Go with a custom led strip or battery powered led strip and you’ll be good.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was looking at that tiny side light in the cargo area today. It almost seems as if Subaru engineers simply forgot to put a light in the back and stuck that tiny light there as an afterthought. What other reason for such a non-functional wimpy light? Plus the inability to turn them all on or off at once. It seems that no one thought of the interior lighting as a system and threw in some nice LEDs to make it look like they weren't asleep at the wheel (car analogy).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Probably but it's a tad overpriced. You know pretty much all the interior lights use the same type lamp? So if you have to buy 15 of them (2 map, 4 mirrors, 2 bottom front door, 2 bottom rear doors, 2 above rear doors, 2 above back row windows, 1 cargo) do you really want to spend $10 on each when you can spend $2.95 on each here:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/1127/2672/

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was looking at that tiny side light in the cargo area today. It almost seems as if Subaru engineers simply forgot to put a light in the back and stuck that tiny light there as an afterthought.
Unfortunately, I think it was planned. I have the exact same light in my 2013 WRX hatch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Probably but it's a tad overpriced. You know pretty much all the interior lights use the same type lamp? So if you have to buy 15 of them (2 map, 4 mirrors, 2 bottom front door, 2 bottom rear doors, 2 above rear doors, 2 above back row windows, 1 cargo) do you really want to spend $10 on each when you can spend $2.95 on each here:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/1127/2672/
That specific one is the highest rated lumen output I found at 92 lumens. I don't know what the output of the OEM LED is, but there are several versions of that LED with half to a quarter of the output. Superbright does have one at 85 lumens, which is is tiny difference. I'll probably try that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That specific one is the highest rated lumen output I found at 92 lumens. I don't know what the output of the OEM LED is, but there are several versions of that LED with half to a quarter of the output. Superbright does have one at 85 lumens, which is is tiny difference. I'll probably try that.
Unless you're willing to pay $14 each and get even more lumens (180) with VLED's 194
https://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/194-168-158-led/194-26-ho.html
Be aware that these 26-led 194 are a little long so they only fit the interior lights and rear side markers, not the license plate. They do have a 14-led (90 lumens) and 1-led (70 lumens) 194's that are smaller.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Unless you're willing to pay $14 each and get even more lumens (180) with VLED's 194
https://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/194-168-158-led/194-26-ho.html
Be aware that these 26-led 194 are a little long so they only fit the interior lights and rear side markers, not the license plate. They do have a 14-led (90 lumens) and 1-led (70 lumens) 194's that are smaller.
After spending $50,000 on the vehicle with the wimpy cargo area light, that last $14 is nothing.

121 - 140 of 161 Posts