Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I ordered the accessories on the Touring model I requested the LED internal lighting. My dealer came back saying that this was not showing on the order site. He said I could add it later (fine by me), but I find it strange that they show this as an available accessory on Subaru.com when you price out the Ascent.

Anyone else coming up with the same issue? Maybe it is standard on the Touring but not mentioned and is it available on other trim levels?

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
When I ordered the accessories on the Touring model I requested the LED internal lighting. My dealer came back saying that this was not showing on the order site. He said I could add it later (fine by me), but I find it strange that they show this as an available accessory on Subaru.com when you price out the Ascent.

Anyone else coming up with the same issue? Maybe it is standard on the Touring but not mentioned and is it available on other trim levels?
It is available for order, but, as my dealer told me (and others here have posted), just go buy the bulbs yourself and change them yourself and save a bunch of money. It's the one accessory of dubious value to purchase with the car.

·
Registered
920 Posts
You can also probably find the OEM bulbs - if you insist on Subaru Genuine Parts as I am often doing - from a third party retailer for considerably less money as long as you're comfortable doing it yourself.

·
Registered
598 Posts
You can also probably find the OEM bulbs - if you insist on Subaru Genuine Parts as I am often doing - from a third party retailer for considerably less money as long as you're comfortable doing it yourself.
I'd be curious to see what the OEM LED Festoon bulbs look like compared to the ones I buy from Amazon. I'd be surprised if they look/function any different but would just be interesting if there is any quality improvement coming as Subaru branded.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I came up with a similar issue. The extended cross bars were not available at the dealer through the order, but can be ordered through their parts department.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
I'd be curious to see what the OEM LED Festoon bulbs look like compared to the ones I buy from Amazon. I'd be surprised if they look/function any different but would just be interesting if there is any quality improvement coming as Subaru branded.
Once some of us get the cars (not me, I didn't order the LED bulbs), we can find out which manufacturer makes the bulbs and order that brand and model bulb.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Once some of us get the cars (not me, I didn't order the LED bulbs), we can find out which manufacturer makes the bulbs and order that brand and model bulb.
Yah, great idea! I've got some already left over from my other cars before Subaru was offering it directly as an accessory. But will be good to know for future purchases.

·
Registered
583 Posts

It is available, as a Dealer added accessory and about $185 for six bulbs.... if I recall correctly, it has been a while since I looked at it .. A post somewhere on the forum mentions Diode Dynamics(?) as a good company to buy these bulbs from.... I think the prices were like $10-$15 per bulb if that ....

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yes, I’ve never personally used LED’s from Diode Dynamics, but I’ve usually heard great things about them from the LegacyGT and Outback forums.

I tried using Philips LED in my 2011 Outback and I had several instrumentation freak outs. Eventually I swapped away the bulbs back to default incandescent and it’s been solid since.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It is available, as a Dealer added accessory and about $185 for six bulbs.... if I recall correctly, it has been a while since I looked at it .. A post somewhere on the forum mentions Diode Dynamics(?) as a good company to buy these bulbs from.... I think the prices were like $10-$15 per bulb if that ....
Diode Dynamics is a great company to buy LED's from. It may take them some time to confirm what specific bulb sizes are in the Ascent, but they make quality stuff (including Stage Series rally light bars if you want to get really serious) :grin:

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
I tried using Philips LED in my 2011 Outback and I had several instrumentation freak outs. Eventually I swapped away the bulbs back to default incandescent and it’s been solid since.
Me as well (2010 Outback). I did finally find a series that worked.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
This is one thing where I don't agree with the pricing. $185 for 6 bulbs is a crime. I plan to wait for Robert to find out the numbers and then probably pick some up on Amazon. I did an LED upgrade for my Tacoma and it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
920 Posts
108 isn’t terrible. I was expecting around 15-20 per bulb anyway.

Again, cheapest option is probably not the best option if you go to aftermarket led. Just saying.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Fwiw I’ve used ‘cheap’ amazon LEDs for years with no issues. Even if one goes out which hasn’t happened yet I can just replace it with a backup. I’ve bought a couple different brands but most are about $10 for 4.

·
Registered
302 Posts
All the bulb sizes should be listed in the owners manual (in theory). Wait a month or two and the info (as well as DIY videos) will be also readily available on line. eBay, Amazon, diode dynamics, etc... in the whole scheme of things, I’m not entirely sure it matters for things like the interior lighting which you go with. Most of the interior LED bulbs are fairly straightforward plug and play. I might not choose the absolute cheapest ones you can find online, but I also sure as heck wouldn’t pay $185 for them either! The only scenario I *might* even think about that one is if it comes with an unlimited free lifetime replacement guarantee... and even then I probably still would not bite, knowing how cheap these bulbs really are.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
All the bulb sizes should be listed in the owners manual (in theory).
Page 492 of the Owner's Manual, section "12-3. Bulb Chart"

Alas, not all of the bulb numbers are in the chart. As a matter of fact, more than half aren't there. As a matter of fact, all that's listed are Front turn signal light (models with halogen headlight), Front turn signal light (models with LED headlight), High beam headlight (models with halogen headlight) , Low beam headlight (models with halogen headlight), Rear turn signal light, Rear side marker light, and Backup light.

Five other bulbs have voltages and watts listed, but no bulb numbers. Seven other bulbs have no details at all.

I don't have the printed one, but that's what's in the latest version on Subaru TechNet. Perhaps there will be another revision before it's printed, or an addendum.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've never found festoon bulb type specifics listed in any subaru manual. Maybe its in the shop manual? From my experience 28-31mm festoon bulbs fit in subaru's without a problem. It depends on how far you can bend the metal tabs to fit the bulbs in. they are flexible to a point but you don't want to break it as its very thin metal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There was no way I was going to pay $185 for LED interior bulbs. I kept trying to find out what size bulb is needed before I got the car, but never could figure it out. Now that I have the car, I popped off the bulb cover (up front) and pulled out the bulb. It is NOT a festoon, but rather a wedge type bulb. It has "Toshiba 12V8W" on it, along with "U74". I couldn't find any cross reference, but as best as I can determine it is a 168/194 bulb. I've attached a photo. Can anyone confirm the size? (I didn't measure it, sorry).

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
There was no way I was going to pay $185 for LED interior bulbs. I kept trying to find out what size bulb is needed before I got the car, but never could figure it out. Now that I have the car, I popped off the bulb cover (up front) and pulled out the bulb. It is NOT a festoon, but rather a wedge type bulb. It has "Toshiba 12V8W" on it, along with "U74". I couldn't find any cross reference, but as best as I can determine it is a 168/194 bulb. I've attached a photo. Can anyone confirm the size? (I didn't measure it, sorry).
Are these in all the dome lights? 2 front, 2 second row, 2 third row?
Looks like a W5W style bulb. Either way I have many of both these and festoon leds already.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts