Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an Ascent Touring. When driving at night with low beams, I get a distinct demarcation line which I have to look under to see the road. The upper half of the windshield is completely dark while the lower half is clear. Turing on the high beams eliminates the issue.

Has anyone else noticed this? I believe it is only caused with LED headlights.

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
542 Posts
Pretty much standard with the OEM optic based HID/LED headlights in my experience.

You get a razor sharp cut off line with little light bleed to prevent you from blinding oncoming drivers. That line sits below driver side mirrors even on my lifted truck that has HID projectors so it doesn't shine into the car in front of me.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/derekjo75/Headlight Upgrade/IMG_0773.jpg

Did your previous vehicles have reflector based headlights? They scatter light everywhere and provide a more gradual light pattern cut off.

·
Registered
927 Posts
It's not a border in the windshield... it's where the actual light goes. The projector headlights have a sharp cutoff. If you look in the garage or parked near a wall, you can usually see it clearly.

You can see it in these photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/w7cotUDADSXw3bg77

How far down the road can you see?

Unless the adjustment is off and they are pointed too low, then it's just something to get used to. You can have the dealer check or you can check yourself. The lights should be almost level to slightly downward. So the demarcation line on the wall should be about the height of the headlights (depending on how far away from the wall you are).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your response. I see what you are referring to. Because there is such a stark difference between what is illuminated and what is not, it seem to give the illusion that the demarcation is on the windshield. It gives the feeling that you have to look under the line to see the road. There has been much discussion on the internet concerning the Hyundai Sonata having that exact same issue.

I will try your suggestion to check the height of the beam. I will also try lowering the driver's seat to see if that helps.

Thank you,

Tony

·
Registered
978 Posts
Lol it has nothing to do with the windshield thats for sure. Even my 2010 subaru has a very sharp top edge to the low beam light coverage. Modern head lights do this given the lighting focus and US standards placed on where the light can go when low beams are used. All to prevent light leakage into approaching cars ie blinding oncoming drivers.

Modern lighting has very negative impacts on night time vision so this sharp cut off is very important. Less you enjoy oncoming cars hitting you or wrecking into the shoulder of the road given your head lights blinding them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it is something I will have to get used to, (I hope). My previous car was a 2010 Jeep with round standard reflector type lights. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Thanks to all for your responses.

Tony

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am a bit confused. I have a 2019 Ascent Limited. I don't think the high beams are that bright, so I ordered some aftermarket bulbs. HOWEVER, I don't think the 9005 bulbs I ordered fit??? I think this is because the Limited models come with LED (vs halogen on Premium models). Can someone please help me understand if I can"upgrade" the brightness of my high-beams in my stock Ascent Limited (that came with LED lights)? Perhaps I just have to go with a complete auxiliary system like from Baja Designs?

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I am a bit confused. I have a 2019 Ascent Limited. I don't think the high beams are that bright, so I ordered some aftermarket bulbs. HOWEVER, I don't think the 9005 bulbs I ordered fit??? I think this is because the Limited models come with LED (vs halogen on Premium models). Can someone please help me understand if I can"upgrade" the brightness of my high-beams in my stock Ascent Limited (that came with LED lights)? Perhaps I just have to go with a complete auxiliary system like from Baja Designs?
They're LEDs. It's likely the cut line to keep from hitting oncoming drivers, unless your headlights are aimed too low.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It is an optical illusion caused because you are focusing on the windshield, near field, and not the illuminated far field. I have a premium with old school bulbs I swapped out for LED bulbs and notice this right away. In fact I hated it and thought I'd be changing back. But after a couple weeks, my brain adjusted and I started ignoring the windshield and keeping my focus down range. On side streets I'll focus on the windshield and notice the illusion, but only as entertainment.
Do you notice the effect with high beam as much?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
For the factory LED high beams, it's simply the low beam cutoff going away, isn't it? That's how the HID projectors worked in previous vehicles. Low and high beams were the same except for the cutoff. Do the factory LEDs work different than that?

I have a Premium with Auxito Y13 aftermarket LEDs (H11 for the projector low beam and 9005 for reflector high beam). Same good low beam cutoff with a brighter and very wide illumination angle. High beams are redonkulous.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I guess the factory installed LED headlights on the 2019 Limited are simply not bright enough for me when using the high-beams. Please let me know if anyone has upgraded the existing LED bulb on their Limited model. Based on the above responses, I guess I am going to look into some aftermarket driving lights. Let me know if you have any recommendations for those. Baja Designs look quite nice.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
Well, I guess the factory installed LED headlights on the 2019 Limited are simply not bright enough for me when using the high-beams.
Honestly, mine are the best headlamps for brightness I've had on a vehicle yet. But if you personally need more light for your driving situations, some kind of "driving light" setup might just do the trick for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts