Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So had some blue strips laying around and decided to hook them up. They are a little brighter than I would have liked as you can see in the picture. It was like 4 PM and still pretty bright outside.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool, I am going to do that with mine if it ever comes in.
This is actually the easiest car I've done. Theres a nice little space underneath the dash where you can snake the wires from the passenger side to the fuse box on drivers side. The only issue I ran into was that there is not really a good spot to mount the led strip on drivers side, so you have to be creative but overall it was easy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I did the same thing but I hooked up onto the illumination control switch instead of the fuse box. I couldn’t find the supposed prewired harness that’s supposed to be there so I added the wires into the switch harness.in case anybody wants to add the footwell lighting and can’t find the harness, here are the wires you need to connect to. If I remember correctly there are two rows of pins. The top only has two wires on opposite sides. The green wire is the power (positive) that you need and the black on the second row is ground (negative). I didn’t bother with adding any fuses as these lights won’t draw that much power and the wiring is supposed to already be able to support the additional load. For my install I pulled the pins out and soldered my wires onto the connection and plugged back into the harness. Running the wires is pretty simple. If you need further directions for running the wires, just search for “ascent footwell lighting install” in tour browser and you should be able to pull up the oem instructions on installing. For the mounting bracket I just slotted a straight piece of metal bracketing on both ends and bolted it to the existing studs under the steering wheel. If I had to buy the parts again, this add on would cost $15 at most.

·
Registered
275 Posts
So had some blue strips laying around and decided to hook them up. They are a little brighter than I would have liked as you can see in the picture. It was like 4 PM and still pretty bright outside.

Nice. I did the same with a diode dynamics universal kit. I already have a cell link neo for my dash cam sitting in the space under the radio so it was a little tight getting the wire through to the passenger side. One thing this footwell lighting makes you want to do is to clean your floor mats lol!

On another note, I also got the 2nd row footwell extension kit but I did not install because I could not find anywhere to mount under the front row seats that was not visible / glare when you enter the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts