Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At home we have both the Ascent Premier (top fully loaded model in Canada) as well as Impreza Sport Tech, both in black.
The fog lights look pretty yellowish compared to the bright white LED headlights. When both fogs and mains are on, I would like them both to be both LED bright white.

Are fog LED lights available as a DIY solution?

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
Fog lights should already be LED.
Text Diagram Automotive parking light Line art Automotive exterior

I don’t have them to compare myself however I’ve seen others on the road and haven’t noticed a difference between the headlights and fog lights.
You could always go with an overlay to make them more yellow if you’re into that look

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
At home we have both the Ascent Premier (top fully loaded model in Canada) as well as Impreza Sport Tech, both in black.
The fog lights look pretty yellowish compared to the bright white LED headlights. When both fogs and mains are on, I would like them both to be both LED bright white.

Are fog LED lights available as a DIY solution?
Are they aftermarket or dealer installed? Stock fog lights are LED as mentioned above.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, if the fog lights are LED, they look yellowish compared to the main lights and do not come on/off lightning quick as LED lights usually do. And on both of our Subarus 2019 models. Maybe I could change the bulbs to a colder color then...

·
Registered
147 Posts
You mean hotter color don’t you? Yellows are towards 3000K and pure whites are toward 5000K to 6000K (depending on manufacturer and driver). Daylight is 4200K. Now what is it that you want to achieve? The clean look of a single color? Or the actual utility of a fog light (meaning actually use to see at night)? If you have the iem fog lights, then they are definitely led. There isn’t even an option for halogen fog lights. If they are oem and are not pure white then you have a defective light. Go to the dealer and have them replace with new ones. If in fact you have aftermarket fog lights then it’s just a matter of replacing them with a set you prefer. If the ones you have now are aftermarket halogens then you just need a set of new bulbs. Personally I prefer projected hids. For functionality stick with yellow fog lights. Although yellow looks dimmer than white, yellow light actually casts better than white thus giving you more clarity in viewing (think night driving “yellow” glasses). Hope this can be of some help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You mean hotter color don’t you? Yellows are towards 3000K and pure whites are toward 5000K to 6000K (depending on manufacturer and driver). Daylight is 4200K. Now what is it that you want to achieve? The clean look of a single color? Or the actual utility of a fog light (meaning actually use to see at night)? If you have the iem fog lights, then they are definitely led. There isn’t even an option for halogen fog lights. If they are oem and are not pure white then you have a defective light. Go to the dealer and have them replace with new ones. If in fact you have aftermarket fog lights then it’s just a matter of replacing them with a set you prefer. If the ones you have now are aftermarket halogens then you just need a set of new bulbs. Personally I prefer projected hids. For functionality stick with yellow fog lights. Although yellow looks dimmer than white, yellow light actually casts better than white thus giving you more clarity in viewing (think night driving “yellow” glasses). Hope this can be of some help.
Thanks for your response. My Ascent is 2019 everything is original. It is no big deal, just that it looks kind of strange having two types of white. Other cars, other manufacturer have this too. Actually, I would probably prefer a bright true yellow for fogs....and btw, I use them when it rains, during the winter etc. I was just wondering if I had options with this.

·
Registered
816 Posts
To the OP,what you are looking for in your fog lights is what I wanted in my Premium’s low/hi beams .I replaced both with led’s to have matching output when I have to use the hi beams.My Premium model does not have fogs but if I did I would stick with OEM or I would tint them yellow for the off-road look .Like wildcrd mentioned the yellow output from foglights are more effective than the white light version .

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here's precut yellow tint.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Here's precut yellow tint.
Thanks a lot!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: I told myself I was done spending from this paycheck, and you just proved me wrong!!!

Seriously though, thanks!!! I just went and ordered a set! ;):)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have any of you that ordered them installed the yellow fog light overlays yet? Thoughts/opinions on performance, aesthetics, etc.?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Have any of you that ordered them installed the yellow fog light overlays yet? Thoughts/opinions on performance, aesthetics, etc.?

Thanks!
I have them, but I haven't installed them yet. Someone else did, and liked them, which is what prompted me to get them.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've been casually looking around for some small aftermarket LED fogs that would mount in the lower grill. I'm open to suggestions other than the factory fogs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts