Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you post instructions and photos for how you installed the strip in your ascent?

I am a big fan of the $15 Diode Dynamics flex LED light strip. I've installed them in five different vehicles...

Routed through panel and out via the child seat harness mount opening

Double light strip in my Forester. (My night vision sucks)

Cool White - Wish I bought the Warm White option
View attachment 6974

·
Administrator
582 Posts
Hey Bryan,

I have yet to install on an Ascent... `19 Outback will be my next one...

However, in the Forester & Highlander. I pulled back the panels using a set of these. Then used a wire coat hanger to 'fish' the cable along the path I needed it to go.

I would need to determine where I would want the exposed cable coming from... Either the 3rd row seat belt port, if it isn't used all that much. Or the overhead reading lamp.

Either locations may need the cable extended by you.

For install...
I would start on the left side.
Pull rubber seal away a little bit.
Loosen the panels with the pry bars. First black panel, then upper one if needed.
And used a wire coat hanger to fish the line through. It is both stiff enough and flexible so you can adjust (bend) around if needed.

It may take a little creativity if snaking from the rear overhead lamps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm wondering if you can tap into the map light wiring on the left and run the cable under the paneling until you can bring out out at the car seat belt port in the ceiling. I'm not adventurous enough to give it a try to figure if it is possible. :)

Please do post again once you do install it in the Ascent.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thats what i did in the Ascent. It came with an adapter to plug into the cargo light bulb socket, then just loosened the side and top panel and routed the behind the panels and it comes out from the side of the top plastic panel. I forget exactly how to loosen the side panel by the light, i think there was one bolt to remove. But there was already a thread on this forum with pics of somebody that installed. If you search and read through posts about LED lights i think you’ll find it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Here is the thread for the DD light strip, although looks like pics are no longer there but there are still instructions.

·
Administrator
582 Posts
Thanks for linking that other thread. I updated the title on this one to reflect the target placement of the light in the cargo area, not in the lift gate itself...

C.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Did the tailgate light mod today.

Given how little time it takes to pull off the trim, it's not worth the frustration of leaving the trim on.

I did have some back and forth, but the only piece of advice I'd give here that wasn't previously offered:

Tapping into the Tailgate Close button: Pink wire is positive. That's the only piece that was missing/I didn't see.

·
Registered
2021 7-Seat Premium Ascent in Abyss Blue Pearl
6 Posts
Hello everyone. This is my first post on the forum. I became an Ascent and first time Subaru owner on Christmas Eve.
I choked on the pricing of the LED upgrade offered by the dealer, along with the lack of choice. The best place I’ve found for LED conversion (including the cargo light) is DiodeDynamics.com. They sell numerous color temps and brightness levels for each bulb. My first round of conversions included the Cargo, Backup and Map lights. The $12 Cargo lamp fixed the issue in the back and looks totally stock with no exposed wiring or extra controls. Here are the results and the details on the SMD12 LED array..
Can you still use the ON/OFF cargo light switch on the lighting cover?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts