Subaru Ascent Forum banner

LED Cargo Light - Not in Lift Gate

19K views 52 replies 21 participants last post by  bobnotrob 
#1 ·
I setup USB LED Cargo Light as pictures. One touch on/off, long touch to switch lighter or darker. Any suggestion ?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Smart! You addressed one of the things I really dislike so far (small list).

There's absolutely NO light back there. And the one they put in is in a terrible location. For as well thought out as a lot of other things are it's really disappointing they failed so miserably with the cargo lighting.

I had thought about some battery LED lights that I could heavy velcro to the top so I didn't have wires etc running around, but not sure how well that will work long term.

#6 ·
Don't know if you care about the wires, but they could easily be tucked behind those side trim panels under the lift gate gaskets up and over the top and then come out of the trim at the top to connect to the light fixture. That would minimize the exposed wires to be just a little bit at the USB port and a little bit that goes into the light fixture.

Reactions: marktoby
#8 ·
Hello everyone. This is my first post on the forum. I became an Ascent and first time Subaru owner on Christmas Eve.
I choked on the pricing of the LED upgrade offered by the dealer, along with the lack of choice. The best place I’ve found for LED conversion (including the cargo light) is DiodeDynamics.com. They sell numerous color temps and brightness levels for each bulb. My first round of conversions included the Cargo, Backup and Map lights. The $12 Cargo lamp fixed the issue in the back and looks totally stock with no exposed wiring or extra controls. Here are the results and the details on the SMD12 LED array..

#29 ·
Hello everyone. This is my first post on the forum. I became an Ascent and first time Subaru owner on Christmas Eve.
I choked on the pricing of the LED upgrade offered by the dealer, along with the lack of choice. The best place I’ve found for LED conversion (including the cargo light) is DiodeDynamics.com. They sell numerous color temps and brightness levels for each bulb. My first round of conversions included the Cargo, Backup and Map lights. The $12 Cargo lamp fixed the issue in the back and looks totally stock with no exposed wiring or extra controls. Here are the results and the details on the SMD12 LED array..
Can you still use the ON/OFF cargo light switch on the lighting cover?

#12 ·
The install is fairly straight forward. The SMD12 comes with an assortment of 4-5 adapters that plug into various standard bulb bases. You pick the one you need and plug it in. Dbl-Backed Adhesive is provided on the back of the board to help hold the board in place.
View attachment 6981 View attachment 6981
Perfect - this answers my questions of how it connects and how the board is mounted - thanks for the image and the detail!

Ordering now...

#11 ·
I am a big fan of the $15 Diode Dynamics flex LED light strip. I've installed them in five different vehicles...

Routed through panel and out via the child seat harness mount opening

Double light strip in my Forester. (My night vision sucks)

Cool White - Wish I bought the Warm White option

Father In Law's `19 Toyota Highlander

1 Warm White Strip

Wife's `16 Impreza - OEM is a single bulb....

Bumper Automotive lighting Gas Box Telephony

#22 ·
Can you post instructions and photos for how you installed the strip in your ascent?

I am a big fan of the $15 Diode Dynamics flex LED light strip. I've installed them in five different vehicles...

Routed through panel and out via the child seat harness mount opening

Double light strip in my Forester. (My night vision sucks)

Cool White - Wish I bought the Warm White option
View attachment 6974

#14 ·
Subaru light may be not very bright but it looks OEM and its not getting blocked by the 1st bag i put in the car ...

#15 ·
And unlike the SubieSpeed one, it likely won't crack as easily.

PN 84671SJ100VH

#18 ·
#23 ·
Hey Bryan,

I have yet to install on an Ascent... `19 Outback will be my next one...

However, in the Forester & Highlander. I pulled back the panels using a set of these. Then used a wire coat hanger to 'fish' the cable along the path I needed it to go.

I would need to determine where I would want the exposed cable coming from... Either the 3rd row seat belt port, if it isn't used all that much. Or the overhead reading lamp.

Either locations may need the cable extended by you.

For install...
I would start on the left side.
Pull rubber seal away a little bit.
Loosen the panels with the pry bars. First black panel, then upper one if needed.
And used a wire coat hanger to fish the line through. It is both stiff enough and flexible so you can adjust (bend) around if needed.

It may take a little creativity if snaking from the rear overhead lamps.

#24 ·
I'm wondering if you can tap into the map light wiring on the left and run the cable under the paneling until you can bring out out at the car seat belt port in the ceiling. I'm not adventurous enough to give it a try to figure if it is possible. :)

Please do post again once you do install it in the Ascent.

#25 ·
Thats what i did in the Ascent. It came with an adapter to plug into the cargo light bulb socket, then just loosened the side and top panel and routed the behind the panels and it comes out from the side of the top plastic panel. I forget exactly how to loosen the side panel by the light, i think there was one bolt to remove. But there was already a thread on this forum with pics of somebody that installed. If you search and read through posts about LED lights i think you’ll find it.

#26 ·
Here is the thread for the DD light strip, although looks like pics are no longer there but there are still instructions.

#28 ·
Did the tailgate light mod today.

Given how little time it takes to pull off the trim, it's not worth the frustration of leaving the trim on.

I did have some back and forth, but the only piece of advice I'd give here that wasn't previously offered:

Tapping into the Tailgate Close button: Pink wire is positive. That's the only piece that was missing/I didn't see.

#34 · (Edited)
I try not to resurrect old threads... but wanted to help anyone else wanting to add the 'forester' cargo light (pn 84671SJ100VH) to their MY19 which has been discussed here.

I attempted and completed this (with inspiration from you all) this weekend. Of note... for the 2019 with a single button switch, the wiring is a bit different than previous posts.

Appears to be a 'negative switched' setup, so for my 2019 limited, light blue was +12v and tan/pinkish was -12v for button illumination. Tapping into these results in the added light lighting up in sync with the factory OEM cargo light on the side. Used some spare wire I had laying around, for connection to the 'new' light, I simply soldered it onto the pins.

Cheers!

Circuit component Passive circuit component Light Hardware programmer Electrical wiring

Automotive lighting Rectangle Gadget Bumper Automotive mirror

#36 ·
I looked at videos and thought about getting the Diode Dynamics LED strip but once I saw the install, including an exposed wire, I couldn’t do it! I went with SMD12 LED! It was an easy install with great results. My whole interior and exterior is fully LED so the car is well lit.
View attachment 19842
View attachment 19843
The rear cargo area is too dark for my needs. In addition, using only the lower left side for cargo light does not take into consideration that i always have that area blocked. I needed a local overhead light. The wire from that strip tucks behind immediately so you would have to be looking for a wire to notice. When accessing the rear i do not need or always want all the other interior lights on.the strip focuses right over cargo area for illumination.