Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Smart! You addressed one of the things I really dislike so far (small list).

There's absolutely NO light back there. And the one they put in is in a terrible location. For as well thought out as a lot of other things are it's really disappointing they failed so miserably with the cargo lighting.

I had thought about some battery LED lights that I could heavy velcro to the top so I didn't have wires etc running around, but not sure how well that will work long term.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smart! You addressed one of the things I really dislike so far (small list).

There's absolutely NO light back there. And the one they put in is in a terrible location. For as well thought out as a lot of other things are it's really disappointing they failed so miserably with the cargo lighting.

I had thought about some battery LED lights that I could heavy velcro to the top so I didn't have wires etc running around, but not sure how well that will work long term.
Thank you, cableless is good choice, but maybe not thin and long style, please update us.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I setup USB LED Cargo Light as pictures. One touch on/off, long touch to switch lighter or darker. Any suggestion ?

Don't know if you care about the wires, but they could easily be tucked behind those side trim panels under the lift gate gaskets up and over the top and then come out of the trim at the top to connect to the light fixture. That would minimize the exposed wires to be just a little bit at the USB port and a little bit that goes into the light fixture.

Reactions: marktoby

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't know if you care about the wires, but they could easily be tucked behind those side trim panels under the lift gate gaskets up and over the top and then come out of the trim at the top to connect to the light fixture. That would minimize the exposed wires to be just a little bit at the USB port and a little bit that goes into the light fixture.
OK, I will try hide the cable in this weekend:tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone. This is my first post on the forum. I became an Ascent and first time Subaru owner on Christmas Eve.
I choked on the pricing of the LED upgrade offered by the dealer, along with the lack of choice. The best place I’ve found for LED conversion (including the cargo light) is DiodeDynamics.com. They sell numerous color temps and brightness levels for each bulb. My first round of conversions included the Cargo, Backup and Map lights. The $12 Cargo lamp fixed the issue in the back and looks totally stock with no exposed wiring or extra controls. Here are the results and the details on the SMD12 LED array..

·
Registered
2020 8 Seat Limited (Crystal White Pearl)
65 Posts
Nice - that is super bright - thanks for posting this.

I am looking at the SMD12 array and trying to figure out how it swaps into the OEM light fixture. When you get a chance, could you post an up close image of it with the light off?

·
Administrator
582 Posts
I am a big fan of the $15 Diode Dynamics flex LED light strip. I've installed them in five different vehicles...

Routed through panel and out via the child seat harness mount opening

Double light strip in my Forester. (My night vision sucks)

Cool White - Wish I bought the Warm White option

Father In Law's `19 Toyota Highlander

1 Warm White Strip

Wife's `16 Impreza - OEM is a single bulb....

IMG_20160314_070839963.jpg

·
Registered
2020 8 Seat Limited (Crystal White Pearl)
65 Posts
The install is fairly straight forward. The SMD12 comes with an assortment of 4-5 adapters that plug into various standard bulb bases. You pick the one you need and plug it in. Dbl-Backed Adhesive is provided on the back of the board to help hold the board in place.
View attachment 6981 View attachment 6981
Perfect - this answers my questions of how it connects and how the board is mounted - thanks for the image and the detail!

Ordering now...

·
Registered
215 Posts
I also put in the DD flex light strip and it works great. The only frustrating thing is the ends dont fully stick for me, but I think its more the angle of my wire coming out from the trunk panel.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Subaru light may be not very bright but it looks OEM and its not getting blocked by the 1st bag i put in the car ...

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
And unlike the SubieSpeed one, it likely won't crack as easily.

PN 84671SJ100VH

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Subaru light may be not very bright but it looks OEM and its not getting blocked by the 1st bag i put in the car ...

retrofit or came from factory? It looks similar to the one I retrofitted, from 2019+ Forester Sport.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts