Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I carry my four dogs in the car, in crates, when I go to sheepdog trials. When it is warm, I would like to leave the lift gate and the windows open so the interior does not get too hot (I use shade cloths too.) However, the last time I did so, the battery was dead after three days, even though I had turned off the rear dome light.

Why is this, and is there any way to prevent it from happening? If I have to pull the crates out at an event, it defeats the purpose of having a vehicle large enough to contain four crates and their occupants.

A

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Ascent is the first Subaru to implement the "inline" actuator for the power rear gate and the 2019 Forester is the second model to use it. I wonder if the Forester suffer the same issue, battery drained after rear gate open for long period of time. I would assume so since it's built on a common recipe called "Subaru Global Platform".

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yesterday, I took a multi meter to my less than month old Ascent to check the battery voltage - was only 12.47v which was low considering I drove it the day before for a 3.5 hr trip of mostly highway miles. I put on a 5 amp Deltran battery charger and it indicated it was below 80% and took 2.5+ hrs to get it back to 100%. That doesn't leave me much confidence.

My previous CUV had an after market battery that usually needs to be topped off in under 30 mins. The originally battery was crappy too and left me stranded twice before I switched over to an after market one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ascent is the first Subaru to implement the "inline" actuator for the power rear gate and the 2019 Forester is the second model to use it. I wonder if the Forester suffer the same issue, battery drained after rear gate open for long period of time. I would assume so since it's built on a common recipe called "Subaru Global Platform".
My 2019 Outback would do the same thing - dead battery after as little as an hour with the rear hatch open.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Folks, there's a fix for the Ascent, as well as for the 2019 Outback, for liftgate controllers that are killing batteries.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Thanks, but what is the fix?
Liftgate controller replacement with the newest version. You'll find extensive discussion if you use the search feature, if you're interested in reading it. Also, I can be tagged here or in the Subaru Outback forums.

Outback TSB: #07-179-20
(2017-2019 Outback)

Ascent TSB: #07-155-19R
(2019 and some 2020 Ascents)

·
Registered
92 Posts
@Robert.Mauro, do you know if the liftgate controller replacement is usually a stocked part or something that needs to be ordered? I'm about to schedule my 30 month service and need this TSB addressed while I'm there. I usually book online because I one of those anti-telephone people, enough though I know the simple answer to this question is just "call the dealer..."

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
@ertolsma it's not a stocked part. It's only replaced for those with Ascents having issues with the liftgate, such as a measurable dark draw, or, most especially a liftgate controller that intermittently doesn't respond to the button being pressed even with liftgate height memory being turned off. People who have gone in with that second problem, and knowledge of the TSB number, don't seem to have had any problems. But, it will require the controller to be ordered, and, the owner should empty the cargo area of the car before the appointment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts