Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, before I put anything on it and possibly regret, I need to know this is honest, real, skin of a dead animal leather and not man made leather, synthetic leather or pleather?

I am asking about the face of the seats only!

I am aware not to plug up the perforation holes with anything.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
The seating surface is leather. It's higher grade leather on the Touring. The rest (sides, back, etc, etc) is not leather. The Onyx is StarTex.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah I noticed the odd mix on first sight and touch and counted it as a negative when considering the purchase. I hope the different materials still look similar after a few years.

As far as I can tell only the perforated surfaces are leather.

And the back seats appear to be wholly synthetic.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
Mine look very good after nearly 3 years and 78,921 miles, with many thousands of those accumulating dirt, dust, mud and grime off road. (Touring)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,263 Posts
A very large percentage of "non really high end" vehicles that feature leather seating only have the actual leather where the seat meets your backside. Most of the time, the remainder of the cover is "not leather". I've not had any that had a visual difference over time, personally.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
They're mostly vinyl-based material used in the car. Of all the luxury cars, if they don't use leather, they will offer you vinyl-based material instead. These days you gotta pay like $75K+ to get "real leather".

I don't have any problem w/ vinyl-based material. It's probably better for the environment considering the world consume so much crude oil, and the 20% residual of non-fuel can be used for other things like making "fake leather". Otherwise, it goes into landfill.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
I wonder if any of our fleather is from other Subie parts? I know our bumpers are made from a combination of recycled material, including cut-offs from other parts of Subaru manufacturing.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Okay, before I put anything on it and possibly regret, I need to know this is honest, real, skin of a dead animal leather and not man made leather, synthetic leather or pleather?

I am asking about the face of the seats only!

I am aware not to plug up the perforation holes with anything.
If you want to maintain the original matte feel of the seats and not add any shine or coating over time, I highly recommend leather soap. I have used it to maintain the Ascent seats like new going on 3 years. Before I traded my Outback, I used this to restore the shiny seats to a very supple soft matte finish. I had Katzkins on my OB which I think is a higher quality than the OEM stuff.

I use a handheld horse hair brush on the Ascent. I used a more aggressive drill brush attachment on my Outback for the restoration.

Leather Soap

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
Re; Leather Soap

Nice, thanks, @rockthebeef! I hate the slippery leather feel.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,263 Posts
Just remember, you're only able to clean the surface of the auto leather. It's all sealed so penetrating products that you might use for saddles and boots isn't going to do a whole lot for you in most vehicles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just remember, you're only able to clean the surface of the auto leather. It's all sealed so penetrating products that you might use for saddles and boots isn't going to do a whole lot for you in most vehicles.
Thank you it does seem to have a thick clear coat of some sort on it that is really what I should be trying to clean and maintain.

Drop of Palmolive in a bucket of water and a damp terry cloth might be as effective and save as anything else.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't mind if I don't have leather seats (I do have them in our Ascent) as long as whatever I have is comfortable and durable.

I really hate it when the non-leather is called "vegan leather" which I have heard from car salespeople (not Subaru). Just face up to it and say it is vinyl, or whatever it is.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Thank you it does seem to have a thick clear coat of some sort on it that is really what I should be trying to clean and maintain.

Drop of Palmolive in a bucket of water and a damp terry cloth might be as effective and save as anything else.
Dish soap might work just as well since you are merely cleaning whatever coating is on the leather. I do know the leather soap I linked up above works well, and it smells pretty good (what you would expect high end leather goods to smell like). That company does make a conditioner, which I don't bother with since our leather isn't really permeable.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
58 Posts
I don't mind if I don't have leather seats (I do have them in our Ascent) as long as whatever I have is comfortable and durable.

I really hate it when the non-leather is called "vegan leather" which I have heard from car salespeople (not Subaru). Just face up to it and say it is vinyl, or whatever it is.
"Vegan leather", lol. I had no idea that they make
leather from vegans. Like you said, just call it vinyl. To me, there is no "whatever it is". If it's not letter, it's vinyl. Startex, IMO, is just vinyl by another name.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
"Vegan leather", lol. I had no idea that they make
leather from vegans. Like you said, just call it vinyl. To me, there is no "whatever it is". If it's not letter, it's vinyl. Startex, IMO, is just vinyl by another name.
Oil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts