Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Curious what kind of lease deals folks are getting? From what I’ve read the lease rates aren’t that great right now - what are you seeing
Subaru lease rates are determined by credit and any promotion SoA is doing. You can find what you're potentially eligible for here:
https://www.subaru.com/special-offers/index.html

Subaru builds to order (except a tiny percent built as dealer demo and dealer stock), so, there's no tons of overstock to sell off at the end of the year, and, as it is, Subaru can't keep up with demand, so, there's no real reason for massive lease incentives.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
thanks for the info

I didn't mean lease deals that are publicly advertised...(sorry for the confusion there) I am more curious what people are getting their lease rate at
I answered that question. Subaru sets the lease rates. If you have ridiculously exceptional credit, and the dealership you buy from has some ridiculous sales volume, it is slightly possible they may be able to negotiate a better rate than what Subaru has already established with Chase, but I have literally never heard of that happening.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
You can go here, enter "lease rates" and see for yourself

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/search.php

You'll be credit tiered, and the vehicle and trim level will be used to determine lease rates based off your tiering. Very standard, and very much across the board since SoA and Chase set the numbers nationwide.

Sorry. :sad: :crying:

·
Registered
770 Posts

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
The Edmunds Car Forums typically have running threads with lease MF and residuals quoted:

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/51351/subaru/x/2019-subaru-ascent-lease-deals-and-prices

Over the years (we've been a leasing family for a while, for the convenience of a 3/36 term), I've found them to be pretty accurate.

Their lease calculator is also a great tool.

Sadly, the summary is, no incentives, "same" prices for everyone at the same trim level and credit tiering...
https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/51351/subaru/x/2019-subaru-ascent-lease-deals-and-prices/p11

·
Registered
770 Posts
^ Pretty much. :(

Yup, the Money Factor/residuals don't seem to vary all that much between markets in any given month, and the rule-of-thumb seems that no incentives are available outside of VIP and Subaru Lease-Loyalty. I was actually surprised to see one of the Moderators there noted a $750 incentive for the Premium models in my market at the time I was shopping.

That said, pushing for a good net cap can really affect the outcome, and knowing what the MF is supposed to be prevents scenarios like Edmund's member yunli200's, where the dealership marked up the MF to their max allowed without disclosing it at earlier negotiations.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Yep!

Yup, the Money Factor/residuals don't seem to vary all that much between markets in any given month, and the rule-of-thumb seems that no incentives are available (outside of VIP and Subaru Lease-Loyalty).

That said, pushing for a good net cap can really affect the outcome, and knowing what the MF is supposed to be prevents scenarios like Edmund's member yunli200's, where the dealership marked up the MF to their max allowed without disclosing it at earlier negotiations.
Yep, it can help with lease term, as well as deciding trim level, which makes reading through that page, and using the lease calculator a very handy thing. Great find!

·
Registered
764 Posts

Yup, the Money Factor/residuals don't seem to vary all that much between markets in any given month, and the rule-of-thumb seems that no incentives are available outside of VIP and Subaru Lease-Loyalty. I was actually surprised to see one of the Moderators there noted a $750 incentive for the Premium models in my market at the time I was shopping.

I was blown away by this $750 rebate!! But hey, let Subaru give away their money :) But its only on premium 12 packages, not 14 packages. So if you get the push button start you qualify, if you get the push button start + Sunroof + 20" wheels you will not qualify. Also, its not available in every market. Every area is different.

Dealerships marking up the Money Factor (interest rate) on a lease is one of the most common ways dealerships profit without the customer knowing. Mostly because its understood by so few people. If I tell you you're rate is .0045 or .00045, most people won't know what that means. But its actually the difference of a 10% interest rate vs a 1% interest rate. Obviously your payment is higher, but you just nod along because he is going over everything so fast and you just want to get out of his office as soon as possible... :(

Ask questions, shop around, do your homework and you won't be taken advantage of by shady dealerships :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
I was blown away by this $750 rebate!! But hey, let Subaru give away their money :) But its only on premium 12 packages, not 14 packages. So if you get the push button start you qualify, if you get the push button start + Sunroof + 20" wheels you will not qualify. Also, its not available in every market. Every area is different.

Don't know which Smiley to use for this one. :smile_big:

Dealerships marking up the Money Factor (interest rate) on a lease is one of the most common ways dealerships profit without the customer knowing. Mostly because its understood by so few people. If I tell you you're rate is .0045 or .00045, most people won't know what that means. But its actually the difference of a 10% interest rate vs a 1% interest rate. Obviously your payment is higher, but you just nod along because he is going over everything so fast and you just want to get out of his office as soon as possible... :(

Ask questions, shop around, do your homework and you won't be taken advantage of by shady dealerships :)

Yup.

It's the same smart-shopping process just like anything else.

The good thing is that it really doesn't take that much brain-power to understand what the lingo means in leasing: I took my 12-year-old along with me when I returned for a second test-drive, and she didn't want to go play in the cars on the showroom floor while I talked numbers with our salesman. While he ran the negotiations back to the floor manager, she asked me what some of the terms meant, and I was able to explain them to her when we returned home. It's stuff that most 7th graders can understand, so given sufficient time and effort, adults, no matter how supposedly numbers-averse, should be able to do it.

The Edmunds Car Leasing Tips & Advice page ( https://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/ ) is a great way to start and provides valuable resources, and is also a great jumping-off point for anyone who wants to be a smart shopper to start guiding their own searches via Google.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yep, it can help with lease term, as well as deciding trim level, which makes reading through that page, and using the lease calculator a very handy thing. Great find!

The Cars101 website is great for both that 10K-feet overview as well as to start drilling down - here's the 2019 Subaru Ascent page:

2019 Subaru Ascent 7 passenger research webpage

Pricing reflect that of the PNW market, but I've found over the years that everything from mechanical details to the side-by-sides of features comparisons (including model codes) to be quite accurate overall, and routinely updated.

We've only been with Subaru since 2005 - but we've had 8 (purchased or leased, to include my Ascent) since that time, and while I started off by visiting virtually every informational site available at the time, for the last three leases, I've really only used Edmund's Lease Forum and the Cars101 information page, and I haven't felt outgunned or otherwise under-prepared.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The lease deal on a Subaru Ascent is among the best among any vehicle currently. Better hurry, today is the last day.

The Subaru Ascent is on the rugged side of family SUVs. Three-row seating and all-wheel drive come standard, plus it’s loaded with standard safety tech features. This month, lease the Ascent for $279 per month for 36 months with $3,179 due at signing. See 2021 Subaru Ascent models for sale
MSRP: $33,345
Lease offer: $279/month for 36 months with $3,179 due at signing
Expires: 9/30/2021

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
'Wonder what it would be without that "due at signing" down payment...something I'd never pay on a lease as it doesn't really lower the actual cost of the lease over time more than a few pennies due to how money factor/interest works.

Reactions: TSiWRX and xydadx3

·
Super Moderator
4,165 Posts
Typically, every $1K of down payment or trade -"cap reduction"- translates to $20 per month.
Yup...but the effective total cost of the lease to the customer doesn't change materially because it's still the "down payment" plus the sum of the monthly payments--the capital cost of the vehicle with only pennies difference due to time and money factor/interest behavior. So while making that up-front payment lowers the visible monthly payment, it doesn't save any money. A lot of folks don't understand that relative to leasing which is why they sometimes think they are getting a great deal, but really are not. Their eyes are on that monthly payment, not the real cost. Further, that down payment money can be at risk if there is an early, devastating accident...not likely to get that money back.

To be clear, I'm in no way anti-leasing. I think it can be a great way to acquire a nice, new vehicle in a number of circumstances. But folks have got to educate themselves on how it works and not lose sight of the need to negotiate the price of the vehicle before even discussing payments, etc.

·
Registered
770 Posts
^ Oh, I understand that, fully. ;)

I'm merely trying to make a very generalized reply to that very first part of your reply above - the "wonder what it would be without the 'due at signing.'"

It's just a very generalized, quick-and-dirty. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,165 Posts
Yea, my bad for not carrying the "question" further than I did. :)

Reactions: TSiWRX
1 - 20 of 25 Posts