Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have an issue with body lean to one side? Noticed it a couple of weeks after taking delivery. It’s just over 1/4” lower on the driver side than the passenger side. Is this a torsion bar issue? I can’t imagine the shocks/struts being an issue with a brand new vehicle. I’m trying to avoid my third visit to the dealership in less than a month to fix another issue (door seal and alignment were the first two).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,827 Posts
Only your dealer service department can determine what's causing the issue you describe and it's a warranty matter. I don't recall anything like this being posted previously, but I could certainly have missed it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So, just took it in today. Waste of 3 hours. Long story. Basically, they state there is nothing to do because it falls within spec for this particular issue.

synopsis:
Disclaimer: (I know this isn’t how they measure how the car sits but I don’t have access to the fancy measuring techniques they have at the dealership).

So measuring from the ground to the center of the wheel well fender using the center hub on the wheel as my midpoint, I got the following measurements.
Front left: 31.5” Front right: 32”
Rear left: 32.25” Rear right: 32.5”

I took the measurements just to show my issue to the dealership and give a picture of what I was trying to describe just in case they “didn’t see” the lean.

I understand that the back may sit higher than the front because of the front being heavier than the rear. I also understand that nothing from the factory is perfect either. But as you can see, there is a significant difference with the Front left compared to the others.

I was told that there is about a 1.5” variance that is acceptable to Subaru with this particular issue. That seems pretty “liberal” for this kind of problem. I could understand being out of whack within 1/2” of one another but not a full inch, let alone 1 1/2”.

Based on how bad the alignment was off, on the left side after taking delivery and how bad the lean is to the front left, my gut says something happened during transit. But who knows for sure.
Cosmetically, it bugs me but I’m ok with it. My concern is that it’s mechanical (bad shock, etc...). They wouldn’t consider even looking into it further since it fell within spec.

I’m pretty disappointed in how the service rep handled it. He was pretty condescending and combative towards me. He was also like this when I brought it in for the alignment about a week or so ago. Thankfully I’m moving to Co and don’t have to deal with this dealership anymore. The manager tried to smooth things over, even brought the tech and his manager in as well to talk to me. They never really addressed my concern but after spending almost an hour talking it over.....it was never going to go anywhere at that point.

I’ve had to bring the vehicle in 3 times within the first month of ownership. Not off to a great start. Now I’m having the radio blackout issue and really don’t have time to go back in for that till after I move.

At this point, I’m just wondering if I put a 1/2” spacer on the front left to level it out will fix the issue.

·
Super Moderator
3,827 Posts
Me things you need to consult with a different dealer service department...and also launch a call to SOA to tell them about your experience as you just wrote.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
It doesn’t sound like your dealer is going to be receptive to any sound arguments so I would contact SOA for your case. 1.5” difference seems excessive. People are installing lift kits with less lift than that!
Fwiw I went out and measured all 4 of mine at 32” ± ⅛”. A spacer may correct the ride height but that’s definitely not the correct solution.

A couple questions just to rule out other variables:
Did you make sure there’s nothing stored inside the vehicle that could offset the balance?
Did you center the steering wheel? You can use the menu by double pressing the tune knob while holding the home button to view the steering angle. I made sure to zero mine before measuring.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Me things you need to consult with a different dealer service department...and also launch a call to SOA to tell them about your experience as you just wrote.
Yeah, sorta figured. Just really don’t want to right now. Trying to move out of state and don’t have much time/attention to give to this issue but I know i need to.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
FWIW: A number of years ago I noticed my new Ford Explorer had a distinct list to port when I got it. I went back to the dealer and looked at all the others on the lot and they also did. I figured it was to compensate for average road camber.

·
Registered
88 Posts
the last three are the things I asked them to check. They insisted it wasn’t necessary because it was within spec. Seemed like a reasonable request. But hey, I’m just a customer, what do I know. ;-)

Wondering if I should just install the Eibach’s I just got in. At least then, the shocks, springs and struts will be looked at.

Either way....I submitted an email to SOA today.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
I'm following along. I've never measured mine, and at this point, it has a lift and is generally packed, so, won't be anywhere similar or helpful to measure. 😔

Are there any ride issues? I'm looking forward to what Subaru says. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
618 Posts
I'm curious what the dealer would say with a small chip of paint missing on delivery. "It's within tolerance and not a safety issue"??? LOL

I'd hate to own a car that sags. It drives me nuts to see 20 year old cars on the street listing due to blown shock/strut..... owning one would make me bonkers.

·
Super Moderator
3,827 Posts
There will always be some slight variability in height at the four corners of a vehicle due to loading, and, perhaps, the phase of the moon, but no way is a visible lean "normal and within tolerances". That's yet another reason I and others have suggested getting SOA involved.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Mine measures .5" sag on the driver front and .25" sag on driver rear. Front is taller than back by 1" so we are way different there. I can't see it or feel it when driving. My car does not pull to one side or the other going down any road, even with a crown. A cross wind will push it though.
I had both front rotors and brake pads replaced last week so I know my dealer shop had things off. If they found anything, they would have fixed it then.
I'm not concerned. Never would have had need to check other than to see if maybe all of them do this.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Remember of course that the front and rear of the car are not the same heights, and the wheel well arch spacing (to wheel) is very different, front to back. And, finally, gas in the tank will drop the rear considerably more than the front, meaning front to rear heights can vary a bit, between when the tank is near empty, to full with 120 pounds of gasoline.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm following along. I've never measured mine, and at this point, it has a lift and is generally packed, so, won't be anywhere similar or helpful to measure. 😔

Are there any ride issues? I'm looking forward to what Subaru says. Please keep us posted.

alignment on left side was way off. Noticed shortly after delivery. It has since been aligned but something still feels off.

Had I not had the LP skid plates and front guard installed, it wouldn’t be as noticeable. The front left side touches the bar and the right side has a gap so it looks like a smirk on the front of the vehicle. 😏
Remember of course that the front and rear of the car are not the same heights, and the wheel well arch spacing (to wheel) is very different, front to back. And, finally, gas in the tank will drop the rear considerably more than the front, meaning front to rear heights can vary a bit, between when the tank is near empty, to full with 120 pounds of gasoline.
correct. But measuring front arches and comparing them to one another is a good apples to apples scenario. Same with comparing back arches to one another as well. Gas in the tank is on the rear right isn’t going to make the front left sag either.

The front left side of my front guard touches the rail and the other side has a gap. Almost wondering if the guard is holding it up and hiding even more sag.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Do you have pics you can share?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts