Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to December's head unit update, my Android Auto was very reliable and responsive. Now, not so much! The main areas of focus for my comparison are: 1.) Connecting to Android Auto, 2.) "Ok, Google" recognition and interaction, and 3.) Text message playback.

For the most part, things were pretty stable as I was using a Samsung OEM cable.

Then, I updated to this version, the day it was released:

Release Version: Rel_UA.20.41.70 NAFTA
Release Date: 2020-12-23 09:34 EST

Now, I am still able to connect to Android Auto ... but needed to buy a high quality USB cable and it's still not as consistent. Also, I constantly encounter "Voice Commands Are Not Available At This Time" on the screen, even though Android Auto is working. Initiation with "Ok, Google" is sporadic and even when the system recognizes my request, it may let me interact for a moment, then "Voice Commands Are Not Available At This Time". Sometimes it works fine. I have restarted my phone, and the head unit (hold power button for 15-20 seconds and wait for the flash and Starlink logo") and that sometimes corrects things.

But, the MOST annoying change is the extremely inconsistent text message playback. In the past, I could receive a text, click Play and the system would play it back seamlessly and ask if I wanted to reply. Every time! (This is Android Auto, not the head unit playback).

Now, I'd say 30-50% of the time I receive a text message, I will press "Play", the audio will go silent, the little multi-color lines show up on the screen ("google text bar"), nothing happens for 4-5 seconds, then the system will say "Do you want to reply?" No message is played at all.

It is so frustrating because this was one of the things working flawlessly prior to the update. Anyway, anyone see these conditions?

Head Unit Firmware: Rel_UA.20.41.70 NAFTA
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus
Android Version: 9

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
"Voice Commands Are Not Available At This Time" on the screen, even though Android Auto is working. Initiation with "Ok, Google" is sporadic and even when the system recognizes my request, it may let me interact for a moment, then "Voice Commands Are Not Available At This Time". Sometimes it works fine. I have restarted my phone, and the head unit (hold power button for 15-20 seconds and wait for the flash and Starlink logo") and that sometimes corrects things.

But, the MOST annoying change is the extremely inconsistent text message playback. In the past, I could receive a text, click Play and the system would play it back seamlessly and ask if I wanted to reply. Every time! (This is Android Auto, not the head unit playback).

Google will update Android Auto and fix those. Happened to me a little less than a month ago after an AA update on my Samsung phone. At the same time, my Google Assistant devices stopped remembering how to control half my lights. In about half a week, another update came in, and the issues magically disappeared. No head unit updates or cable changes during that time. Text playback was useless for about a week, though. I get the little android dots/bars, they disappear, no message played. That was fixed a little after the "Voice commands..." issue.

Seems these sporadic failures in code also get rolled out sporadically, or, not at all for some. Sometimes I see them before others of my friends, sometimes after, and sometimes not at all.

Anyways, to activate Assistant, I simply use the steering wheel button.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
... I simply use the steering wheel button.
Thanks for the info. I will see if there are any AA updates on the Play Store, but I have auto-update on so it probably is up to date. Unfortunately, this has been going on for over a month now. (Maybe I need a new phone.)

Also, I like the steering while button as well. Especially when my music is too loud and I can't scream "OK GOOGLE!!!" loud enough! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts