Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Yes, the drop was due primarily to "In-car Electronics" which would be the infotainment system and perhaps the issue with the battery drainage due to the rear cargo door. Other than that, everything else remains mostly Excellent with two Very Good:

You should know that CR considers the infotainment system heavily in their ratings.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks like they based the new score on reliability:

"In car electrinics" which they rated as below average, everything else looks is rated as "Better" except body and power equipment, which they rated as average.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Looks like they based the new score on reliability:

"In car electrinics" which they rated as below average, everything else looks is rated as "Better" except body and power equipment, which they rated as average.
CR's rating icons are as follows:

or often:

So the "In-car Electronics" can be considered currently rated as "Good" and the "Body Integrity" and "Power Equipment" is rated "Very Good". Everything else is currently rated as "Excellent". You can also interpret it as "Worse - Better".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I didn't see any knocks in the over-all review for reliability. I'm a little surprised the score dropped from a 5 to a 3 based on the individual reliability marks noted in earlier post.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If you touted CR's initial stellar rating of the Ascent, you've got to take your lumps as well when it gets dinged. I love my Ascent, but with that very high initial score, there was only one way to go as time passed. Remember when Tesla initially broke CR's scale by scoring 103?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Yeah, I didn't see any knocks in the over-all review for reliability. I'm a little surprised the score dropped from a 5 to a 3 based on the individual reliability marks noted in earlier post.
CR has a major bug about poorly designed or poorly functioning infotainment systems which they often write about extensively. Thus I believe they weigh it quite heavily in their ratings as you can see here. The infotainment system is one of the primary human-vehicle interfaces and is more critical than ever these days, and let's face it the Ascent's infotainment system is not good (actually it sucks). However, I don't think they should have dropped the Ascent's overall reliability rating so much just for that. But they did and Subaru had better take notice. CR is probably more responsible for making or breaking car sales than any other single source. Many people will see the 3/5 rating and not look for the actual cause which in this case is not any of the major mechanical components we worry about most.

However, CR ratings are very dynamic (which is a good thing), and if Subaru fixes people's complaints, the numbers will go back up. I watched that happen with my Mazda MX-5 whose ratings dipped until Mazda corrected the complaints, and then its ratings went right back up.

I believe that most of the infotainment system issues can be fixed with software improvements and upgrades which are relatively easy to implement, even on existing vehicles. The big question is if Subaru will do it.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I believe that most of the infotainment system issues can be fixed with software improvements and upgrades which are relatively easy to implement, even on existing vehicles. The big question is if Subaru will do it.
The one thing I do know is that Subaru is taking the infotainment system issues very seriously, and I expect they will do what it takes to resolve the issues in Harman Kardon's system.

ONE such example:

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you touted CR's initial stellar rating of the Ascent, you've got to take your lumps as well when it gets dinged. I love my Ascent, but with that very high initial score, there was only one way to go as time passed. Remember when Tesla initially broke CR's scale by scoring 103?
Indeed. But hey, sixth place isn't bad. (in the mid-sized category and not counting the luxury brands)
I'm half tempted to check out the Telluride forum to see the reaction. I assume that the corks are a poppin'

(edited to say sixth instead of seventh. I overlooked that the CX-9 is listed twice above.)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Greetings,
Anyone know how to get to the previous ratings? There seems more here than just the reliability. Both "routine handling" and "Headlights" are rated 3/5. "Third Seat Comfort" and "Third Access" are rated 1/5.

I don't recall these being the case with the composite 96 rating from the spring.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Greetings,
Anyone know how to get to the previous ratings? There seems more here than just the reliability. Both "routine handling" and "Headlights" are rated 3/5. "Third Seat Comfort" and "Third Access" are rated 1/5.

I don't recall these being the case with the composite 96 rating from the spring.
It looks to me that it's only the reliability rating that changed, but that hurt a lot dropping the Ascent from the top-rated mid-sized SUV with an overall score of 96 to the 7th rated mid-sized SUV with an overall score of 82:

And all because of the "In-car Electronics"? Wow.

I'll keep a close watch on this, but so far this is what CR is reporting. But it's ranked a respectable 7 out of 41 tested with an excellent Road Test Score of 93 which has not changed.

Here is the 2019 link: https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/subaru/ascent/2019/ratings?pagestop
Here is the 2020 link: https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/subaru/ascent/2020/ratings

Note: You may need a CR online subscription to view.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It looks to me that it's only the reliability rating that changed, but that hurt a lot dropping the Ascent from the top-rated mid-sized SUV with an overall score of 96 to the 7th rated mid-sized SUV with an overall score of 82:
View attachment 2179

And all because of the "In-car Electronics"? Wow.

I'll keep a close watch on this, but so far this is what CR is reporting. But it's ranked a respectable 7 out of 41 tested with an excellent Road Test Score of 93 which has not changed.

Here is the 2019 link: https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/subaru/ascent/2019/ratings?pagestop
Here is the 2020 link: https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/subaru/ascent/2020/ratings

Note: You may need a CR online subscription to view.
Keep in mind that the Telluride's score may drop too when it's reliability ratings become more established. It's about a year newer than the Ascent. Kia does not have the best long term reliability scores. The same is true for the Hyundai Palisade.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm half tempted to check out the Telluride forum to see the reaction. I assume that the corks are a poppin'
As they should. This forum is the same way. When CR rates you well, then CR knows what they are talking about, but when they ding you..oh, man, CR doesn't know anything. Electronics aren't that big of a deal anyways!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Keep in mind that the Telluride's score may drop too when it's reliability ratings become more established. It's about a year newer than the Ascent. Kia does not have the best long term reliability scores. The same is true for the Hyundai Palisade.
Or they might not drop and people might have to admit the Telluride (Palisade) are great vehicles.

Wanted to EDIT and say that probably even by the time their scores will drop, you know there will be another new SUV to be the latest and greatest at the top of CR's list.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I went to the Kia dealer. His price on the Telluride was $5,000 OVER MSRP!!!
I asked why and he said the economy is doing well. Says he's got people lined up from over 200 miles away where those dealers have their prices marked up over $7,000 more.
I tested the Telluride and the Explorer. The Ascent 7 passenger seating is much better than either, their 3rd row is 2 seats, meaning you gotta clammer over that 2nd row, making it hard to get access to 3rd row. The Ascent is made perfect for us; grand parents, where we usually will only take another couple but when we do take grand kids, the 3 row/3 seat is perfect.
Explorer is stupidly over priced, exceeding $50,000 easy and that's not the deluxe version.
Lastly, my dealer and service department are awesome. I could not expect any better treatment if my own brother owned the business. I did not get that impression from any other manufacturer's service department. After the sale is a BIG part of deciding what vehicle to buy in my opinion. Did I mention the $750 Loyalty coupon? The guy I spoke with when I asked for one also sent me two Subaru gifts; a carry-on luggage bag and a Subaru labeled water bottle made by camelback. I was surprised when those arrived and a hand written note thanking me for being a loyal customer.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Or they might not drop and people might have to admit the Telluride (Palisade) are great vehicles.
I will already admit that the Telluride looks to be an excellent vehicle. I would have considered one if it existed at the time. However, I really don't like the looks nor do I consider Kia to be as great and as reliable a manufacturer as Subaru, and it looks to cost much more. So I probably would have still purchased the Ascent.

Even now that I know about the Telluride I have zero regrets and no second thoughts about my Ascent.

Still, it's great to have excellent choices.

·
Registered
270 Posts
1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.