Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one that still uses a CD player in a car? :)

I was glad to see the Ascent still include one. Anyway, I found this odd...I ejected the current CD, then entered one that I had played in the car before, but it had been several weeks. I believe it picked up where it was when I last ejected it. I know it started with track 6, but I think it even started in the middle of the song.

1. CD play remembers where it left off, even after several weeks...cool
2. CD play starts randomly when CD is inserted...not cool

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I have a CD in mine since day one. I used it thrice.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nope.
If nothing else, it's a fail safe. I keep a CD handy of something the kids like for when I don't have the phone with me.

My tendency is to listen all the way through a disc before ejecting, though I'll try to remember to see what happens if I eject mid-song. So far, I only recall newly inserted discs starting at the beginning and never in some random spot.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I traded up from an '06 Accord that didn't even have an aux input, so I was used to carrying around two large binders of CDs. I keep a few CDs in the Ascent now for old times sake and because I never trust my tech to always work when I want it. Only actually used it a couple of times when I got a new CD and hadn't put the mp3s on my USB in the car yet. (Yes, I'm that guy who still buys CDs).

·
Registered
777 Posts
CD will pick up where you left off if you keep it in the player. But new CD, at least for me, always starts at the beginning. I don't use it often, but I have used it.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I traded up from an '06 Accord that didn't even have an aux input, so I was used to carrying around two large binders of CDs. I keep a few CDs in the Ascent now for old times sake and because I never trust my tech to always work when I want it. Only actually used it a couple of times when I got a new CD and hadn't put the mp3s on my USB in the car yet. (Yes, I'm that guy who still buys CDs).
Forbes is calling us Subie owners really old.

veritable Luddite technology

·
Registered
38 Posts
Lol...at the oldies here....I am a young 63....lol.....when I got my Crosstrek back in 2018 there was no CD player. First time in forever a new vehicle of mine did not have one. So when I picked up the Ascent was pretty surprised to see the CD player. But have SiriusXm for 4 months now and enjoy listening to Classic Vinyl 60's and 70's. After that might use the CD player again. I only have about a 3000 CD collection over the last 30 years. Might as well use them.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
Forbes is calling us Subie owners really old.
When passing another Ascent I tend to turn my head and take a look at how old the driver looks :ROFLMAO:
Thankfully I've seen a good range of drivers from 20's-ish to 80's-ish (guesstimate) men and women both. Apologies to anyone out there offended that I'm assuming gender based on looks...

Anyway, I've no idea if my CD player works. I don't own a single CD or even DVD anymore!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I still have a collection of them but I quit using CD's years ago. My CD rewinder broke and I got tired of doing it manually. :unsure:

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I still have a collection of them but I quit using CD's years ago. My CD rewinder broke and I got tired of doing it manually. :unsure:
OMG, I still remember when a really shady company was selling DVD rewinders.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a large box of CD's in the basement, but they have all been ripped to MP3. I wasn't sure I'd need them ever again, but on a road trip to WV before we bought the Ascent, we had taken my wife's older toyota and found that the kids really wanted music, but couldn't find a radio station that was worth listening to. Low and behold, there was a CD in the changer that had been in the car since my oldest (now 7) was a baby. It was a Rockaby Baby album. Basically lullaby versions of various rock songs. We listened to that album on repeat for hours. A couple months later I will still find myself humming one of the tunes. I guess CD's still have their uses.

In other news, I was cleaning out the storage room last weekend and found a large box of cassettes. hmm...

·
Registered
421 Posts
I had a cassette player head Demagnitizer sitting on the media shelf not that long ago. Not sure where it went, probably accidently fell into a trash can.

·
Registered
822 Posts
No shame here folks,I have an extensive collection of “best of’s” from all my favorite artists and groups/bands.The case comes out of storage for extra long drives.

·
Registered
270 Posts

I was glad to see the Ascent still include one. Anyway, I found this odd...I ejected the current CD, then entered one that I had played in the car before, but it had been several weeks. I believe it picked up where it was when I last ejected it. I know it started with track 6, but I think it even started in the middle of the song.

1. CD play remembers where it left off, even after several weeks...cool
2. CD play starts randomly when CD is inserted...not cool
Sorry it took longer than I intended, but I can confirm the same behavior. It does indeed remember the point at which a disc was ejected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I always have a CD in my CD player. Our local radio stations are boring and sometimes satellite radio is bleh so I choose the CD.

My CD player starts in random locations and sometimes even in the muddle of a track. When I play a MP3 CD I find it plays in alphabetical order and not in track order. It behaves oddly...I don’t love it but I guess I can learn how it works.

I took it into the dealer and they upgraded firmware but no change in docs behavior.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lol...at the oldies here....I am a young 63....lol.....when I got my Crosstrek back in 2018 there was no CD player. First time in forever a new vehicle of mine did not have one. So when I picked up the Ascent was pretty surprised to see the CD player. But have SiriusXm for 4 months now and enjoy listening to Classic Vinyl 60's and 70's. After that might use the CD player again. I only have about a 3000 CD collection over the last 30 years. Might as well use them.
Keep a look out in the mail for discounted offers from Sirius. They offered me 12 months of their $15.99 plan for $5/mo with 1 month left of my trial. They tack on a $1.06 music royalty on there. I took the deal for $6.06 a month.

We listen to our Pop Rocks oldies. ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have used the CD player in my Ascent and my '17 Legacy 3.6 occasionally. I often play music from my Zune (yes, Zune) through the Aux jack and podcasts from that or my phone. CDs can sound better than MP3s generally, but I am not sure that is true over a car system at 65 MPH. I still buy CDs, and to really show my age, I have a large collection of records! I have some tapes but have not hooked up a player for them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.