Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a friend's Dodge Nitro throw a bunch of fault codes yesterday. Looks like she needs a new throttle body. Her husband is out of town until the 24th, so I loaded the car on the flat bed and towed it 10 miles to her house.

Total weight was 5,500lbs or so. I didn't exceed 50mph. When accelerating I kept the RPMs between 2,500 and 3,000. I was able to keep up with traffic even so!

CVT temp never got above 172F so it wasn't working the CVT hard. No hills, so didn't have to climb either.

No, I wouldn't do this long distance or at highway speeds, but the Ascent still handled it with ease. I love my Ascent!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Nice. Looking at the pic I wonder if the tongue weight was significantly over spec as it seems the Dodge CG might be pretty far forward of the center of the two trailer axles. Not criticizing, just noting it. I see no problem exceeding the limits for a careful slow tow as the limits are intended to tolerate acceleration, braking and suspension loads that slow and careful would not incur.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kept a good eye on the squat to make sure it didn't go too far forward. I did keep inching the Dodge forward and getting out to look at the suspension. It never went down very much and when I had it farther back, the front of the trailer was pretty high. Given the Nitro is not FWD that helps a lot.

When I had my Mustang too far forward, it was definitely squatting a lot!

Reactions: Merope

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 16' Big Tex CH60. It's a really nice car hauler. I really like that the ramps come off the side and are higher up than the ones that go underneath. Also just 1 simple pin holds the ramps in securely. So they're much easier to get in and out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.