Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened about a week ago, I was driving and wife was passenger. We were on a road, just cleared about a mile stretch that was under construction, and transitioned from single lane, to 2 lanes (in one direction). Because of construction, lines had been recently painted and were clear and contrasty. I've driven that road in all conditions over the last 10 years, 3x a week.
The road had a slight downhill grade (2% apx) and some turns, descending down a mountain. Posted speed limit is 65mph, and I was close to the limit.
Lighting condition was about an hour after sunrise, no fog or clouds
I had completed a lane change to the leftmost lane, which has a concrete K rail center divider about 8" left of the yellow stripe, not a lot of space, but it's a mountainous stretch of California hwy 101. I was in the lane for some time, a couple minutes, (and now the excitement) and as I was passing a car on my right, the steering wheel pulled hard right, toward the car I was next to. I always drive with both hands on wheel, and kept it in my lane, wife screeched, I screeched and hit the gas to get clear.
The road has lots of gravel and logging trucks, slowing down is dangerous because of them. My dealer was about 15 minutes ahead and I drove straight there, to complain about the car's action.
I wanted to see if they can pull the last data out of the computer buffer, they feigned clueless and referred me to the SOA 800 #.. The SOA 800 # said there was nothing to pull or recover unless there was an accident . No malfunction lights on the dash. I have no code reader, so I have no trouble codes to present.
The steering force was about 3x the normal "push" the computer gives if it thinks you are crossing the paint lines, and I cannot recall if any lane correction lights were on the HUD display or on the center dashboard screen. ( I was too busy )

I've had a service appointment for about 2 weeks now, for the 2 recalls and oil change, and will be going in tomorrow, but I suspect the dealer is still clueless (they are totally baffled when I complained about the long cranking time and it's TSB)

Is there really no way to capture the last 30 minutes of the vehicle computer activity ?

Anybody else have an issue like this ?

I have often driven that same stretch under the same conditions, never have had that happen before. I know all the places in the road the the computer gets lost in the lanes and shuts off the lane system, and this was not one of those places. I'd always thought the car would email a diagnostic snapshot to the "factory" when it looses the lane tracking, so engineering can see what conditions it fails at. I suspect the car does that, but it's only talked about in engineering, and I'd be suprised if the dealer droids knew about it.

And my other bad engineering rants:
making wire insulation out of mouse food (soy based) (dare I spray peppermint oil on it and have it dissolve?)
nobody knows where the air intake is that the mice crawl into (I want to put a screen on it)
Compass indicator in mirror, is red instead of green (red and yellow are warnings, not generic info)
Icy road indicator is yellow/orange instead of blue
Infotainment system is a random jumping rebooting screen blanking nightmare. I've bought a tablet to use for google maps, and the radio is still going silent at random times.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I can offer this:
  • Consider a dash cam to capture moments like the one you described. Mine can see if those hud lights come on. Very helpful for later review when your attention isn’t focused on them.
  • LKA should be off in construction zones. As an example, those new lines they paint sometimes peel off and if one is laying at an angle across your lane then your LKA may steer to avoid it. In a situation like that a dash cam would be helpful too.
  • There is data in the computer to pull. I can’t speak to whether it’ll differentiate between vehicle induced steering or driver input. A tech was able to download steering data even after a few days that narrowed down an eyesight fault on mine last summer.
  • Dash lights nowadays just need to get the drivers attention. Most people would be clueless about color coding. Consistency would be nice, but it’s a car not a nuclear reactor 🤷

·
Registered
472 Posts
This happened about a week ago, I was driving and wife was passenger. We were on a road, just cleared about a mile stretch that was under construction, and transitioned from single lane, to 2 lanes (in one direction). Because of construction, lines had been recently painted and were clear and contrasty. I've driven that road in all conditions over the last 10 years, 3x a week.
The road had a slight downhill grade (2% apx) and some turns, descending down a mountain. Posted speed limit is 65mph, and I was close to the limit.
I had completed a lane change to the leftmost lane, which has a concrete K rail center divider about 8" left of the yellow stripe, not a lot of space, but it's a mountainous stretch of California hwy 101. I was in the lane for some time, a couple minutes, (and now the excitement) and as I was passing a car on my right, the steering wheel pulled hard right, toward the car I was next to. I always drive with both hands on wheel, and kept it in my lane, wife screeched, I screeched and hit the gas to get clear.
The road has lots of gravel and logging trucks, slowing down is dangerous because of them. My dealer was about 15 minutes ahead and I drove straight there, to complain about the car's action.
I wanted to see if they can pull the last data out of the computer buffer, they feigned clueless and referred me to the SOA 800 #.. The SOA 800 # said there was nothing to pull or recover unless there was an accident . No malfunction lights on the dash. I have no code reader, so I have no trouble codes to present.
The steering force was about 3x the normal "push" the computer gives if it thinks you are crossing the paint lines, and I cannot recall if any lane correction lights were on the HUD display or on the center dashboard screen. ( I was too busy )

I've had a service appointment for about 2 weeks now, for the 2 recalls and oil change, and will be going in tomorrow, but I suspect the dealer is still clueless (they are totally baffled when I complained about the long cranking time and it's TSB)

Is there really no way to capture the last 30 minutes of the vehicle computer activity ?

I have often driven that same stretch under the same conditions, never have had that happen before. I know all the places in the road the the computer gets lost in the lanes and shuts off the lane system, and this was not one of those places. I'd always thought the car would email a diagnostic snapshot to the "factory" when it looses the lane tracking, so engineering can see what conditions it fails at. I suspect the car does that, but it's only talked about in engineering, and I'd be suprised if the dealer droids knew about it.

making wire insulation out of mouse food (soy based) (dare I spray peppermint oil on it and have it dissolve?)
nobody knows where the air intake is that the mice crawl into (I want to put a screen on it)
Compass indicator in mirror, is red instead of green (red and yellow are warnings, not generic info)
Infotainment system is a random jumping rebooting screen blanking nightmare. I've bought a tablet to use for google maps, and the radio is still going silent at random times.
Re the compass - have you orientated it per instructions in the manual? Seems they all come set to one zone in the country. Instructions are in the manual.

·
Registered
581 Posts
LKA is a great tool for clear conditions, clean windshields with clear road lines in predictable areas without a lot of sharp turns and narrow lanes (like construction zones.)
Don’t rely on it if any of those conditions don’t exist. Pretty simple.
And when the e-steering motor yanks itself, it’s very easy to overcome.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LKA should be off in construction zones
HA HA!! funny man. I live on northern calif, along hwy 101, it's mostly construction zone, I'd never be able to use it. And the distraction problem of turning it on and off and on and off and on and off and off off off off.

1) the area this happened in had clean paint, not temp stripes
2) glass was clean, and not glare.
3) " > And when the e-steering motor yanks itself, it’s very easy to overcome. " As I said, this was much more force than the normal correction jiggle. ( If I'd not had my hands firmly on the wheel dodging construction workers for the last 3 miles, the car would have forcefully changed lanes into another car. )

I've got a fancy dash cam in my shopping cart at amazon, but have been stynied on a Subaru approved place to hang it. Maybe I'd just cover the 2 cams above the mirror.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I've got a fancy dash cam in my shopping cart at amazon, but have been stynied on a Subaru approved place to hang it. Maybe I'd just cover the 2 cams above the mirror.
You won’t have to worry about using LKA anymore if you cover those cameras 👀
There’s a few threads out there on dashcam locations. Mine is in the no-no zone without any resulting problems.
If you’re concerned about the steering you might want to try a different dealership. There’s data in there if they’re willing to read it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next closest dealer is 90 miles away.

I worked on the DARPA self driving vehicle challenge 15 years ago, and we never would have run with the code that I see running with the eyesight now. It blinks off at nearly every intersection, dappled shade, sun, dark ..... just not ready for prime time.

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
HA HA!! funny man. I live on northern calif, along hwy 101, it's mostly construction zone, I'd never be able to use it. And the distraction problem of turning it on and off and on and off and on and off and off off off off.

1) the area this happened in had clean paint, not temp stripes
2) glass was clean, and not glare.
3) " > And when the e-steering motor yanks itself, it’s very easy to overcome. " As I said, this was much more force than the normal correction jiggle. ( If I'd not had my hands firmly on the wheel dodging construction workers for the last 3 miles, the car would have forcefully changed lanes into another car. )

Sadly, and, I hate to say it, but then it's safest to not use it. There's a reason the manual says to not use it in construction zones. :( Best to be safe.

As for the cam location, I put mine right of the Eyesight cameras, back behind the housing.

The SOA 800 # said there was nothing to pull or recover unless there was an accident .
That is correct. Wish I had a different answer for you.

The steering force was about 3x the normal "push" the computer gives if it thinks you are crossing the paint lines,
Steering force may seem amplified if it thinks it needs to do a major correction.

I'd always thought the car would email a diagnostic snapshot to the "factory" when it looses the lane tracking, so engineering can see what conditions it fails at. I suspect the car does that, but it's only talked about in engineering, and I'd be suprised if the dealer droids knew about it.
The car does no such thing. Sorry.

...we never would have run with the code that I see running with the eyesight now. It blinks off at nearly every intersection, dappled shade, sun, dark ..... just not ready for prime time.
Totally ready for prime time, for the autonomy level Subaru Eyesight is classified as, and Subaru Japan has copious amounts of data from the government accident reports over there of how it's improved driver & passenger & third party safety. It is not a Level 5 Autonomous system. There's no such system available for consumer purchase anywhere in this country. It is required to yield control to the driver. It is required to NOT make judgment calls about intersections, lights, etc. And it's clearly stated in the manual to not use it on traffic controlled roads, btw.

Perhaps, you may wish to read more about the capabilities and limitations of the system? You can find my summary here:

And you can find detailed information in the Eyesight User's Manual here:
https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/ownerManual/MSA5M1926A_STIS.pdf

·
Registered
682 Posts
In the AZ sun we get a lot of glare. At certain times and certain angles, grooves in the road reflecting the sunlight appear to eyesight (and to me if I'm honest) like lane lines. They can cause the car to try and avoid them. If those conditions exist, I'll turn off LKA or just be wary of it.

Yes turn off (or be aware) when in construction areas as there's often multiple lane lines to see, cones and all sorts of nonsense.

Other than that, I've found mine to be highly effective and as good as the system in our Tesla 3 (which has a lot more cameras!)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wiring is an industry wide issue from modern sustainability standards.
Red light doesn't dilate the eyes and should be the default color for many things when night driving.
Icy roads? Did you not read your previous sentence regarding warning colors?
Take it in for the infotainment system something is wrong.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wiring - should not be edible, a non edible harness that lasts 30 years, is more environmentally friendly than one that lasts 2 years, when you start counting the resources and labor involved to produce 14 replacement harnesses. I've got 90 acres of mice that haven't touched the tractors or my old truck in 10 years, but a new car made of cheese ... 2 months and they are nibbling and nesting, I'd not factored food into my decision base.

Green is proven to be a night safe light, even more so than red.

It's a vehicle, not a weather station. Blue is universal color for cold.

Today, Engine & Trans recall software updates were installed and infotainment update installed. we shall see how this week goes.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The SOA 800 # said there was nothing to pull or recover unless there was an accident .
That is correct. Wish I had a different answer for you.
Is there more than one place they could be referring to recovering data from? The "accident" data I'm assuming may include the cameras as well?
One of the many computers does store some basic data somewhere. After my eyesight system turned off on the beach last year I took it into the service dept. They hooked up their computer and were able to pinpoint exactly when it happened using steering angle logs. Their best determination was that the computer said screw it when my steering wheel was cranked to the left but I was still traveling forward.

·
Registered
353 Posts
@burgessms , any chance you caught a rut when you were next to that car? Maybe re-drive (with caution) that spot with LKA off and have another look at what's there.

I have LKA on a lot, but I know what the manual says and that I am operating outside of the design conditions.

F.S.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was in clean fresh, ungrooved asphalt, not even seams between lanes. Clear & dry conditions. A straight run of road, since the wheel was centered. I'd driven that section hundreds of times, and about 5 times since. No lane departure warnings.
I deal with computers, I know how storage buffers work, and the data is there, for recall, for some amount of time. Whether it's 30 min, or 6 hours, I don't know, but some nerd at SoA does, and I was hoping the dealer, or the 800 # would get me in touch.
The data has to be stored, or crash diagnosis could not happen, nor your steering angle be determined.
Wishful thinking on my part.
The emissions system remembers if you have a loose gas cap !!

·
Registered
7 Posts

My 2019 legacy premium has done that to me a couple times also. It is 4 months old now. I did not even have Lane Keep on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think your talk of a construction zone has clouded the conversation. If there were no abnormalities that could have fooled eyesight then it's not a construciton zone anymore and there's a problem. I'd continue to press it with SoA and your dealer, document everyting, and get a dash cam up and running. That's a very serious safety issue.

Icy roads? Did you not read your previous sentence regarding warning colors?
What Q-Man is getting at there is that icy roads merit a warning. Sure it might be easier for someone's brain to think "that light is blue, maybe it's related to temperature" but it'd be easier to ignore. Yellow is appropriate. My only gripe with it is that the first time I saw it I couldn't make out that it was a snowflake. It looks like road lines with an X through them. I realized later that part of the snowflake was what I perceived to be the center line.

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
I deal with computers, I know how storage buffers work, and the data is there, for recall, for some amount of time. Whether it's 30 min, or 6 hours, I don't know, but some nerd at SoA does, and I was hoping the dealer, or the 800 # would get me in touch.
The data has to be stored, or crash diagnosis could not happen, nor your steering angle be determined.
Wishful thinking on my part.
I know specifically how the Subaru system works. Some of the particular buffers you want are continuously overwritten, except in the event of an accident when the system freezes them. Various other systems wipe data over time unless an abnormality is detected. Some of the data is cyclicly stored for only 22 seconds.

Detecting or not detecting a lane or object isn't an abnormality. It's expected.

I wish I had an answer you would have preferred... if I did, I could try to point you in the correct direction to get the data points you want.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts