Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my lane departure warning but it's a bit of overkill. Wish only the dash lights would blink and it didn't make any sounds. It thinks I'm crossing lanes just driving down the street sometimes, randomly beeping at me. Every time I'm out on the highway, go to change lanes, and don't quite hit the blinker early enough....beep beep beep. I think I'm going to move into someone and I freak out for a second. It should be the blind spot monitor that beeps not the lane departure system.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Maybe try driving better? :grin:
I don't have the manuals in front of me but you can turn lane assist off entirely from the lower right on the steering wheel. You can also at least lower the volume for lane departure from the up/i/down buttons on the lower left of the steering wheel and maybe turn off the beeps there too. I *think* the lane departure warning can be turned off from overhead?

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
I learned to change how I drove. YMMV.

Love my lane departure warning but it's a bit of overkill. Wish only the dash lights would blink and it didn't make any sounds. It thinks I'm crossing lanes just driving down the street sometimes, randomly beeping at me. Every time I'm out on the highway, go to change lanes, and don't quite hit the blinker early enough....beep beep beep. I think I'm going to move into someone and I freak out for a second. It should be the blind spot monitor that beeps not the lane departure system.
I got to the Ascent via a 2010 Outback, and suffered it complaining about lane departures a lot when I started out driving the Ascent. I decided to do a camera view, as well as angling the passenger mirror for a lane marker view.

Sadly, what I learned was that it was bugging me because I was hanging on the lane edge, and not yet used to the decently wider Ascent.

YMMV

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm notorious for not using my signal if no other cars are in sight. Fortunately, my wife's Forester has reminded me so many times that I would miss it if my Ascent failed to do the same.

Like Robert said, the Ascent is wider, so the warning does help you to adjust to centering the vehicle in the lane.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
I'm notorious for not using my signal if no other cars are in sight. Fortunately, my wife's Forester has reminded me so many times that I would miss it if my Ascent failed to do the same.

Like Robert said, the Ascent is wider, so the warning does help you to adjust to centering the vehicle in the lane.
Yeah, and the blinker thing. My second lane departure warning "issue" is similar to yours. I'd always signal, even on empty roads, but I'd signal as I was changing lanes if the roads were empty, as opposed to signalling earlier to warn other drivers. My Ascent is getting me into the habit of always signalling early.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hahahaha! Finally somebody drives like me and hates it too! ? j/k I think it’s so annoying but I have left it on trying to make it not beep! I find the majority of mine is on the interstate when I’m trying to give those tractor trailers more room! I had to turn the LKA off though! I can’t deal with the nudging and the beeping! lol

·
Registered
287 Posts
LKA, BSM & RAB are my most favorite features so far and honestly liked it more than Eyesight automatic braking system. They worked every time unlike the pre-collision braking system. Thanks to LKA, I already starting using indicators when changing the lanes and doesn't matter the traffic is there or not.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I got to the Ascent via a 2010 Outback, and suffered it complaining about lane departures a lot when I started out driving the Ascent. I decided to do a camera view, as well as angling the passenger mirror for a lane marker view.

Sadly, what I learned was that it was bugging me because I was hanging on the lane edge, and not yet used to the decently wider Ascent.

YMMV
Same here..... I just turned the volume down a bit....... saw a new messaging on the safety signs on the Maine turnpike last weekend ..... "Use your thinkah.....use your blinkah..." LOL

·
Registered
86 Posts
LKA, BSM & RAB are my most favorite features so far and honestly liked it more than Eyesight automatic braking system. They worked every time unlike the pre-collision braking system. Thanks to LKA, I already starting using indicators when changing the lanes and doesn't matter the traffic is there or not.
1: How many times have you 'used' the pre-collision braking system so far? lol
2: Are you saying that it doesn't always work?

The automatic braking is supposed to be a safety net for when you fail, not as a helper like LKA

·
Registered
304 Posts
PCB works, it just happens (relatively) late, when the vehicle is reasonably sure you aren't going to do it yourself. There is a video of a guy testing it with boxes in the road at 40mph. It starts heavy braking pretty late and he's sure he's going to hit the boxes every time (first at 20, then 30ish, then 40ish mph).

·
Registered
965 Posts
PCB works, it just happens (relatively) late, when the vehicle is reasonably sure you aren't going to do it yourself. There is a video of a guy testing it with boxes in the road at 40mph. It starts heavy braking pretty late and he's sure he's going to hit the boxes every time (first at 20, then 30ish, then 40ish mph).
If you've done the same ride and drive that I have, it's a seriously abrupt stop at 35 mph when you're headed for that blow up car.

But ...

That's why our PCB is (IMHO) the best. It can STOP you at 35 mph, instead of simply reducing the speed of the collision from 35 mph to 5 or 10 mph like, well, nearly everyone else. The IIHS tests at 25 mph, and NONE of our main competition (Pilot, Highlander, Explorer, Atlas, Pathfinder) completely avoided that collision.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've had my PCB beep at me twice in a little over two weeks of ownership. Both times was when some idiot pulled out in front of me and then slammed on their brakes. I saw the cars both times but apparently wasn't hitting the brake hard enough for the car's liking. It certainly gets your attention quickly which I like.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you've done the same ride and drive that I have, it's a seriously abrupt stop at 35 mph when you're headed for that blow up car.

But ...

That's why our PCB is (IMHO) the best. It can STOP you at 35 mph, instead of simply reducing the speed of the collision from 35 mph to 5 or 10 mph like, well, nearly everyone else. The IIHS tests at 25 mph, and NONE of our main competition (Pilot, Highlander, Explorer, Atlas, Pathfinder) completely avoided that collision.
I haven't, I did almost die on a test drive last month though. Customer was fiddling with something and approaching a red light at about 35-40mph. Scared the customer (and me) quite a bit, but it was a great selling point.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I haven't, I did almost die on a test drive last month though.
To those who are not in the business, this is going to sound bad, but ...

If you haven't almost died on a test drive, or at least been one accident in your sales career, you're doing something wrong. Note that the term accident can include hitting another car on your lot. The way we REALLY learned about the limitations of Eyesight was when one of our salesmen was showing the feature to another salesman, right after Eyesight came out and we'd been to the ride and drive and seen it in person. The lot porter had put a big sticker on the windshield with the model year of the car. Plowed right into a customers car at 20 mph because the system didn't recognize it due to the sticker. Oops ...

:devil:

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, w/ Tech Package
60 Posts
Coming from a 2016 Legacy with Eyesight, I do notice that there are some "false positive" situations that would set the LDW off. One is where you are on a paved road that has crack sealants running parallel with the road markings. When the sun hits it at the right angle (especially at dawn), Eyesight mistakes it for an actual road marking and sets off the LDW. I've noticed that the line of sight on the Ascent is much better than the Legacy, as the LDW didn't go off as often as it did on my Legacy. It had me wondering if the LDW was working or not. If you don't like the beeps, you can turn down the volume. If you don't like the LED's on the windshield, you can turn them off too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't intend to sound sarcastic but, realistically, if that's your biggest issue with it, you just need to start hitting your turn signal before you start to change lanes. If you're crossing the lines before you activate your turn signal, you're not giving cars advancing in that lane any warning either until you've already entered their lane.

If you ARE hitting the turn signal before you cross the lane lines, I'd definitely report that to Subaru because the system is being too slow in it's responsiveness.

Using your turn signal after you've begun changing lanes doesn't have any effect except to annoy you.

Again, I'm not wanting to sound sarcastic but, the reality is that if I spell something incorrect while I'm using autocorrect on my phone, it's going to continue to underline or change the word unless I eventually learn to spell it correctly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts