Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I LOVE my 2020 but, I want to get the safety warning out there that lane assist works REALLY WELL. Too well for me yesterday. We have a spot on the freeway that has a left lane exit. If you're already in the carpool lane, you just go straight so no need for a blinker. Well, Sueberry didn't exactly like that and she just kept a going right, following the natural curve of the painted lines and the other car that she had locked on to who was not exiting. It scared me to death and I almost ended up with a front end in the divider as I tried to steer straight and she tried to follow right. Now I know I'll just have to put on my left blinker even though I'm not turning left but, in the panic I didn't think about that.
It's a wide freeway right there and I would have had to go two more exits to get over if I didn't just take the natural straight exit from the carpool. I'm not quickly familiar enough with the other buttons to just turn off lane assist for a second but, the blinker method seems to work in this case.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,161 Posts
This is exactly why there is considerable notice to the consumer that the driver is still responsible for driving the vehicle. There will always be some situations where things might be "different enough" to cause behavior that's not what is intended. That said..."vawy skawy!"

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Not sure about laws in your state but generally if you put your signal on, you should be turning. I’m just mentioning that so we don’t start using signals as a way to temporarily cancel lane keeping; the assist it gives you shouldn’t be enough that you can’t easily overcome the force as long as you’re attentive, as @Jim_in_PA alluded to above. Hopefully if you know it’s coming you’ll be ready for it next time! I do understand the feeling you’re talking about though. There’s a particular stretch on a small road near me that goes left then quickly right, like a lane adjustment more than a turn. My Ascent would continue steering me left into oncoming traffic if I let it! ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely. I had experienced that in construction where it can't follow lines so I turned it off but, wasn't expecting it as I was consciously trying to steer straight on and it wouldn't let me. Definitely more than the normal nudge feeling. I'm sure she was flipping out thinking that I was going off the road because of such drastic "turn" away from the lines even though I was simply staying in the straight lane and not turning.
If anyone has other ways of correcting it, please list it here. I just know to turn off assist or flip the blinker. I'm assuming that's it. That being said, no complaints, just know that it really wants to follow the lines and the car in front of you unless you tell it otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
4,161 Posts
Given the button to disengage the feature is typically right under your right thumb on the wheel, that's also a way to abort the behavior quickly if necessary.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My hubby is a police officer (one reason for wanting our very safe car) so I'll ask him about that. Good thought. I'll need to become more familiar with the button to turn it off. I think in this case it would be ok since there aren't any other left lanes. Or, when you need to scoot over a tiny bit into another lane for a bike or something you're technically going into said other lane. I've read other comments about this and had prepared myself to turn it off in construction but definitely not this one since I was just staying in a well marked lane. I can't imagine if I was being lazy and just letting the car drive itself in that situation. Hands on the wheel for sure!

Not sure about laws in your state but generally if you put your signal on, you should be turning. I’m just mentioning that so we don’t start using signals as a way to temporarily cancel lane keeping; the assist it gives you shouldn’t be enough that you can’t easily overcome the force as long as you’re attentive, as @Jim_in_PA alluded to above. Hopefully if you know it’s coming you’ll be ready for it next time! I do understand the feeling you’re talking about though. There’s a particular stretch on a small road near me that goes left then quickly right, like a lane adjustment more than a turn. My Ascent would continue steering me left into oncoming traffic if I let it! ?

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
@danaa youll get used to the feeling eventually and hopefully it wont catch you off guard too often. That off button on the steering wheel isn’t going to be easy to press if it’s already nudging you unless it’s muscle memory.
Also, the distance for cruise control and forward collision avoidance are the systems ‘following’ the vehicle ahead. Lane keep only turns based on lines in the road not vehicles ahead.

·
Registered
172 Posts
New vehicle, new technology, new control layout.....in a dynamic environment. it’s a learning curve..... the situation left an impression you won’t forget in terms of that feature..... need more time with feature control familiarization.... cars are no longer just turn on and drive, they require more comprehensive training and familiarization.

Consider plane still need pilot intervention even with autopilot engaged

Another aspect of eyesight to be aware of is the cross traffic auto braking...
Sometimes when a vehicle ahead of your turns right, the Subie will hard brake surprising you and the driver behind you.

I personal don’t use all the eyesight features in heavy dynamic traffic where other drivers are changing lanes or shifting position...especially in construction zones.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have similar problems with the LKA. In Houston the freeways are always under construction and there are new lines to follow and old lines to ignore. Some times the LKA locks in on the old lines to ignore and I have to fight the steering wheel to not switch lanes. If I am in areas with a lot of construction I turn the LKA off.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Do you think it would still follow the car ahead if I have the lane assistance turned off in this situation? Or, do they just work in conjunction with lane keep?
Are you talking while using adaptive cruise control (ACC)? If so, that just locks into the car ahead of you in order to match speed. You are still responsible to make the approriate steering inputs. I believe the functionality of LKA is not tied into ACC in any way.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
I have similar problems with the LKA. In Houston the freeways are always under construction and there are new lines to follow and old lines to ignore. Some times the LKA locks in on the old lines to ignore and I have to fight the steering wheel to not switch lanes. If I am in areas with a lot of construction I turn the LKA off.
Yep, which is why as noted in the manuals, the solution is to never use LKA or ACC in construction zones. ;)

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Are you talking while using adaptive cruise control (ACC)? If so, that just locks into the car ahead of you in order to match speed. You are still responsible to make the approriate steering inputs. I believe the functionality of LKA is not tied into ACC in any way.
While ACC tries to determine where the follow vehicle is (which I'd presume means watching lane markings), it does not seem to have a dependency on LKA, just like how lane departure warnings are not tied to LKA.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I've never considered using LKA on an urban freeway. (I'm assuming this is the case from the presence of an HOV lane.) Its default is "off" for good reason. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Being a computer engineer, I spent the first few days playing with all the settings and learning the differences and limits of each thing. But realizing not everyone is a computer engineer, it can be confusing at first.

ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) ONLY controls the speed your vehicle is going. It will slow down with the car ahead or speed up until it reaches your programmed limit. It doesn't do anything with the steering.

LKA (Lane Keep Assist) tries to nudge you if you get too close to the line. People who aren't used to the feeling think the steering is twitchy on the highway, but don't even realize they are too close to the lane lines and the car is helping them out. The green car will appear when it is nudging you. It's not hard to overcome, though the first few times you feel like you're fighting with the car!

LKA can be enabled/disabled quickly using the car button on the right side of the steering wheel. Turn signals also disable LKA while engaged.

LDW (Lane Departure Warning) beeps if you go over the line.

After some experience with the car you'll know ahead of time when the car will try and help you, so you'll either be prepared or can turn off the nanny that's getting in the way.

I always turn off LKA while towing. The nudge is a bit too much and makes the trailer sway a bit.

Other than that, I usually leave everything on all the time. Even the city roads in Phoenix work well with LKA. The only exception to that is occasionally the sun will glint off grooves in the road which the car thinks are lane lines. Then I'll turn LKA off.

All in all, I love the systems and they have saved me a few times already!

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
And to add a few points to Kevin's wonderful write-up, ACC is "steering" (LANE) aware, so, while it won't do anything with the steering, it will try to keep track of the car in your LANE. It can only also follow cars around bends below a certain sharpness, so, be aware of the possibility it may get confused about the follow car around sharp turns. And, if it cannot see lane markings, it has a much harder time of figuring out which car to keep following as one drives.

That's one reason to NOT use ACC in construction areas where lane markings have changed, because, if your car loses the "follow car", it may re-acquire the wrong one.

Everyone should really read these manuals:
2019 Ascent:

2020 Ascent:

Where to find the digital versions:
All of the digital versions of the manuals (except the Warranty and Maintenance manual) can be found here:
Click "Vehicle Resources" for the manuals, tips and more.
Click "Vehicle Recalls" to check on recalls.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
810 Posts
Everything in your post after "Everyone should really read these manuals:" should be a sticky post somewhere Robert it is a great resource reference.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I've never considered using LKA on an urban freeway. (I'm assuming this is the case from the presence of an HOV lane.) Its default is "off" for good reason. Am I missing something?
I hadn’t thought about whether it was on or off when I first bought my Ascent. I assumed the default was on? I like how the LKA setting persists thru cycling the car off and on so that if you don’t like it you can just leave it off. Personally I leave it on all the time except towing so that’s the default for me.

·
Super Moderator
4,161 Posts
AFAIK, default is off for LKA.

Reactions: xydadx3
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.