Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had an issue with the lane assist feature. On bright sunny days with a clean windshield, the lane detector has signaled that it cannot find the markings on the highway -- oh, wait, now it can -- oh,wait, not. When the gadget "can see" the lanes, it seems to want to vigorously take charge of the steering. All of this is especially anxiety producing driving through Chicago on Interstates under construction with make-believe lanes of 70 mph traffic.

Took the car to the local Subaru dealer who ran the diagnostic computer on it. "Within specs" was the answer. The helpful young man on the service desk told the anecdote that he had also experienced this problem with his Subaru. His solution (which we had stumbled on by trial and error) was to turn off the feature.

Are there other ideas among the Forum folk?

·
Administrator
11,950 Posts
Hi, what year? Lane Keep Assist turns off when you have your foot on the brakes in all Ascents with just Lane Keep Assist.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,434 Posts
Turned LKA off shortly after buying the Ascent. Once in a while, I'll turn it back on when on the interstate but turn it back off quickly. If I want to hug one side of the lane or another to stay away from an oversized load or a distracted driver I don't like to battle the nanny.

Eyesight will be totally blinded by direct sun at a low angle and turn itself off but I haven't found it to do anything intrusive when it turns itself back on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
when we were doing a road test before we bought one we had to pass a kid on a bicycle as my wife started to move a bit out of the lane to pass, the car kept trying to get back to the middle of the lane would of hit the kid. it has been turned off from the minute we took delivery

·
Registered
76 Posts
I tried to like it on our minivan, but eventually turned it off. Felt like I was fighting it way more than it was helping. Might turn it on for long freeway road-trips, but otherwise it stays off now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I turn it on when I need to climb in the back seat to grab something while driving.

Just kidding. It pretty much says off for me too. Same with lane departure warning, which has so many false positives you'd have to have a very high tolerance for torture to use it regularly. I put a piece of darkening cling film over the absurdly bright dash light that comes on when LDW is disabled.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
829 Posts
when we were doing a road test before we bought one we had to pass a kid on a bicycle as my wife started to move a bit out of the lane to pass, the car kept trying to get back to the middle of the lane would of hit the kid. it has been turned off from the minute we took delivery
If you try to leave your lane without signaling it will do this, we also leave it off except for long freeway journeys.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
383 Posts
If you try to leave your lane without signaling it will do this, we also leave it off except for long freeway journeys.
Which is basically what it was designed for.

Also, to the OP, the manual specifically says to turn it off in construction zones for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
843 Posts
I view LKA as a safety feature and not an annoyance and kind of enjoy getting the little nudge that lets me know the car is paying attention. I think it helps reduce driver fatigue on long highway trips.

Mine is on most of the time since it is so easy to disable by tapping the turn signal lever to change lanes for a mail truck or biker. The On/Off button just takes a quick thumb press in construction zones.

My friend with a new Pilot turned off all of the safety stuff on day one then drifted into a highway guard rail last January, it took until last week to get the parts to fix it.

Reactions: Ylime

·
Registered
20 Posts
Our Ascent is coming up on two years, the LKA never bothered me or my wife, until the last 400 mile trip, 90% interstate. It kept trying to center on the lane even while I was driving in the center of the lane, had to turn it off, got tired of fighting it. I think it may have something to do with the roadway surface and what the LKA thought it was seeing.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Touring
9 Posts
In my new experience with LKA, I have definitely found it to be a little over bearing and although implemented as a safety feature, I wish they would do like Hyundai did and ensure that it keeps the vehicle center instead of making you look like a drunk driver if your hands aren't fighting the LKA nanny the whole time. It's also aggressive as in it will grab the wheel and turn, throw you out of a lane, it's not safe really at all, and tiring to fight while you drive. They should have and can do better, we deserve an upgrade, the Hyundai shouldn't be beating in this department

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have had an issue with the lane assist feature. On bright sunny days with a clean windshield, the lane detector has signaled that it cannot find the markings on the highway -- oh, wait, now it can -- oh,wait, not. When the gadget "can see" the lanes, it seems to want to vigorously take charge of the steering. All of this is especially anxiety producing driving through Chicago on Interstates under construction with make-believe lanes of 70 mph traffic.

Took the car to the local Subaru dealer who ran the diagnostic computer on it. "Within specs" was the answer. The helpful young man on the service desk told the anecdote that he had also experienced this problem with his Subaru. His solution (which we had stumbled on by trial and error) was to turn off the feature.

I agree
We have a 2018 scent with the same issue.
I am amazed that Subaru has never updated the system over the years
I don’t think there has ever been an update to eyesight
It’s mainly software so upgrading should have given some improvements

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,261 Posts
Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
11 Posts

Lane assist is awful. It’s almost caused a few accidents so it’s been disabled. I have 2022.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I turned off Lane Keep Assist after a week. It kept fighting me for control and would have caused dangerous situations if I let it do what it wanted to do.

My wife kept turning it back on, but after a month she left it off as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts